Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Torontonians?

Custom79

One of the Regulars
A different outlook

Being in Hogtown recently to spend the week with my 5 yr old nephew allowed us to get out and go for walks down Queen St. in the beaches area. Everyone was out with their families and enjoying the nice weather.

Having the opportunity to walk with him, and listen to his descriptions of the sights and sounds from his perspective was a wonderful experience.

I'll be back to do that some more this summer. Wouldn't miss it for the world.

Cheers.

C79

alexandra

Practically Family
Kids are so interesting. Their points of view are just amazing. I love hanging out with children.

That said, I really don't want to have any children for many, many years. The thought terrifies me!

Custom79

One of the Regulars
All in good time.

Alexandra.

There is definitely a time in your life when kids are great to have around for a while but you are grateful when they go home with their parents.

Like everything else, a time comes when it is your turn to be more permanent part of their lives and take some responsibility for their growth and experiences.

That's where I am on my journey and I considier myself fortunate.

(Did I mention I spend all day in a classroom with between 20 and 30 teenagers!)

Cheers.

C79

alexandra

Practically Family
Teenagers are a little less interesting to me, probably because I was just recently a teenager myself.

Being 20 I feel way too young to be having kids and getting married, but I know lots of people do at my age. In fact, a lot of people I went to high school with have kids, are married or are engaged. That's fine for them, but me I'll just wait a bit.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
I live in Roncesvalles Village.

Thank god the nice weather is here and I can ride my bike to work - the TTC strike on Monday will be chaos!

alexandra

Practically Family
Oh man I know. And everyone around will be all frustrated and angry as well. At least they're going to be opening up more cycling lanes.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
not sure if any of you will read this in time, but i just got back from this:
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/gms/647393310.html
and it was awesome! lots of stuff for men and ladies, 30s through 80s. they had a small amount of 20s/victorian/edwardian there as well. prices at ok, not as cheap as some of the vintage shops, but well worth it. if you can get over there today i would really recommend.

Mugwump

One of the Regulars
It's the thread duster! lol
So glad this is here - nice to know there's so many of us on this site. @ Retro Today - LOVE your avatar!! And hey, I'm a Scarberian Torontonian, too! :D

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I was born in Toronto but we moved to Burlington just before my 5th birthday.

My first ever job, summer of 1984 after grade 11 was at the CN Tower, selling ice cream, orange juice and hotdogs!

Now, there isn't enough money in the world to tempt me back there. Three words:

Toronto City Hall.

Too bad...

Mugwump

One of the Regulars
Awww, shucks! lol Actually, it was probably the fact that we called in the Reserves to shovel snow one year, isn't it? Deservedly made us the laughing stock of the country... :p
Love the CN Tower! Want to take some night-time shots up there sometime, if I can ever get my poor old Pentax cleaned up and working again...film camera, but I may take my digital up as well.
Ooops :eek: blathering again, sorry... :D

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Mugwump said:
...@ Retro Today - LOVE your avatar!! And hey, I'm a Scarberian Torontonian, too! :D

Thanks a bunch Mugwump, so cool to see another person from Scarborough here. Just in case I change it in the future, right now my avatar is Ralphie, a kid in one of my favourite movies, "A Christmas Story".

As you are also a Scarberian, it may interest you that a large part of that movie was filmed on a soundstage at Magder Film Studios, located at 793 Pharmacy Ave., near Comstock.
Magder went out of business, but the building is still there.

Take care,

Mugwump

One of the Regulars
Boo! from Altanta, GA...having a ball so far!
As far as vintage stores in T.O. bil maxx, Queen Street west is always a good place to look, perhaps Kensington Market area too(?) Sadly they got rid of the giant Goodwill on Adelaide & Yonge(? can't quite remember where it was, but there's a condo there now, surprise, surprise), but you may even want to try Google-ing "vintage clothing" & "Millinery" and see what you find.

@ Retro Today - Wow, I've got to look for that building! Thanks for the tip. We're actually going to try and stop off on the way back to Toronto and see the house in Cleveland ( man I feel like such a geek saying that :p ). :D

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
Thanks mug. By coincidence I drove on queen today and noticed several young people with fedoras and trilbys on. Fantastic.

Can anyone else be more specific about places in toronto to find vintage and hats?

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Mugwump said:

,,,@ Retro Today - Wow, I've got to look for that building! Thanks for the tip. We're actually going to try and stop off on the way back to Toronto and see the house in Cleveland ( man I feel like such a geek saying that :p ). :D

You're welcome,

Check out this other thread I started on the FL a while ago about a little trip I took around Toronto to take photos of some of the movie locations:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=46679

BTW, you don't sound like a geek to me, I love that movie. Still haven't made my way to Cleveland to visit the house, hope to be able to soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters