Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Total Score on a triple beaver Stetson

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
Was helping my masonic lodge move to new quarters today and stubled across this. To quote Fezig from princess bride: "it fit so nice he said I could keep it." It only needs some very minor work to make it an outstanding addition to my hat collection. (Ok first hat of many)
100_2197.jpg

Beautiful Pinch front with a High rounded C-crown.

100_2198.jpg

100_2199.jpg

Check out the edge and the ribbon, no stitching around the edge and no damage to the hatband.

100_2201.jpg

Also has some kind of wind tether (not sure how this works, help requested)
100_2206.jpg

Here is the interior, the lining and sweatband are perfect!

100_2203.jpg

and the store where it was first purchased:
100_2205.jpg

The crown needs some attention as it was slightly crushed and the pinch front seems to indent further on the right. Additionally there is a 1 1/4" ball point pen mark just aft of the right pinch. Any ideas on how to get that out? I was thinking lighter fluid or alcohol but I do not want to ruin the hat.

How should I go about restoring this hat? Anyone know someone I could send it to for restoration? Or will I be able to tackle this myself?

RBH

Bartender
We never had anything that nice left at our Lodge. When I was master I had to furnish my own hat. [ its common in our neck of the woods to wear western hats... I wore a fedora!]
Great score!!
I would try the lighter fluid first, but keep in mind that after the spot cleaning it may leave the area a little lighter in color.
If so it may take an entire dunking in naptha to make the hat look even. If you have to soak the whole hat punch out the crown evenly to let it dry, you will then have a open crown to crease as you might like.

Next thing you have to do is post a shot of it on!!!

MattJH

One Too Many
The string w/button is a "wind trolley." You can find plenty of information about them here. Usually found on older hats, you push the button into your lapel buttonhole on windy days to avoid losing the hat. When not used, it should be wrapped around the external base of the crown and fastened in the best way you can figure - usually the one end of a string has a built-in loop for you to wrap the button through to secure it.

I consider them purely cosmetic. I've never really used one. I do like the look, though, and I do know of one modern hat that includes them - the Akubra Sydney from HatsDirect. I just looked at Razzman's Akubra Campdraft thread he just made and that looks to have one as well.

Also, that's a really nice hat. With my big 24" head, I admit I get jealous / envious / annoyed when I see threads from people who just stumble upon hats that fit them. It'll never happen to me! Haha.

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
Alright, so the first thing I tried on that balpoint pen ink was water and a gentle scrub with my fingers. Most of the ink disappeared. Fortunately for me the ink was mostly on the surface.
I happen to have a few books on Millinery so I got those out and read up on felt care. I fired up the kettle and applied some steam to the back of the crown and got most of the dimples out.

While it fits on my head it is a bit snug. I steamed the sweatband and gave it a mild over the knee strech and then wore it until dry. I will repeat this a few times. If that doesn't work I may get a hat jack and open it up that way.

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
Alright so I steamed the crown back to a full crown and then steamed it into a pinch front teardrop. Then I steamed the brim flat and gave it a gentle curve.

Here is the final result:
100_2211.jpg

I think I put the Wind trolley together correctly:
100_2213.jpg

and on me:
100_2210-1.jpg

Looks like you got yourself a Mode Edge Stetson there, Doc. Mid- to late-'50s vintage, I'm guessing. Provided the sweatband isn't fragile, you may wish to take a peek under it to learn what sort of stories the factory labels (pasted to the inside of the crown) might tell.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Be Careful....

I steamed the sweatband and gave it a mild over the knee stretch and then wore it until dry. I will repeat this a few times. If that doesn't work I may get a hat jack and open it up that way.

I would be very careful with steaming the sweatband, you could end up destroying it totally. Just ask GWD......:eusa_doh:

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
handlebar bart said:
Thats a heck of a hat to start a collection with.:eusa_clap Not sure it gets much better than that one.

Not really my first hat but compared to the fine craftsmanship of this lid, all of my other pieces of headgear were merely tufts of wool with delusions of grandeur.

I think I am getting spoiled. After this I do not think I will ever go back to wool felt. Rabbit fur at the minimum. Although as I am going to Pensacola for my residency through the Navy, my next acquisition should be a nice Panama.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum