Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Touch of Evil on Sunday Oct. 15 8 p.m. TCM

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I liked it. The initial long shot is amazing. Charleton Heston as a Mexican cop is yet another wonder of early Hollywood casting.

Orson Welles is creepy.

Feraud

Bartender
I like it. Story, cinematography, and casting (Yes casting!) are all top notch. I never paid mind to the complaints about Charlton Heston being cast as a Mexican. Charlton Heston was cast in the role, nuff said.
They call it the last Film Noir..

Feraud

Bartender
carebear said:
Oh, he does a great job, don't get me wrong.
Oh I was not commenting on your comment! I was just pointing out a frequent complaint about the film. I enjoy the film enough to overlook the makeup job they did on him. :)

Maxwell DeMille

A-List Customer
I worked with Orson Welles many years ago, and I remember one of the more interesting stories he told me at dinner one evening:

"I was invited to a dinner party during the shooting of Touch of Evil, and I was running late and did not have time to remove my makeup..."

touch_of_evil.jpg

"I was also wearing padding that made me look even heavier than I already was. When I arrived, my host told me in a most sincere, flattering tone 'My Orson, you're looking good'"

Orson shared quite a few stories about this and other movies, but this one came to mind.

Great movie and I'm glad the new DVD version is the one Orson wanted to make based on his notes. Universal's origianl theatrical release was an inferior version that caused Orson to the leave the USA and work in Europe.

Here's how Orson actually looked at the time:

EQ_Welles.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I caught this as well and I liked it, not as much as "The Third Man" or "Citizen Kane," but I liked it. It is very atmospheric, especially with the jazz soundtrack, as many films of the age had. "Anatomy of a Murder" comes to mind.

Charleton Heston was very good at his role, deciding not to even affect a Mexican accent, but the film was so atmospheric, it all worked. Welles, of course, was amazing, playing a version of his future self!

I just hope that Robert Rodriquez doesn't buy the rights and decide to remake it. ;)

Feraud

Bartender
Hemingway Jones said:
I just hope that Robert Rodriquez doesn't buy the rights and decide to remake it. ;)
Oh no! You are scaring me with that talk! Do you know something we do not? I can imagine Rodriguez remaking Touch of Evil in his basement on a computer. The actors are working against green screens and never meet each other!
That would truly be the "touch of evil".

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
Many things weird about this movie: Charlton Heston with way too much brown make-up and no Mexican accent, leaving Janet Leigh in a creepy motel alone with that Dennis Weaver - no man would do that.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
This was a good film.:eusa_doh: The version on TCM was the 1998 re-editing that had the single shot opening. I liked it. The casting was great. Akim Tamaroff with that awful looking rug on his head perfectly fit his character as a sleezeball.lol Charlton Heston looked like Vicente Fox.lol So that was Dennis Weaver as the night clerk? Who did Zsa Zsa Gabor play? and Marlene Dietrich? Was she the gypsy nut?

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Another part of the movie is that there were no opening credits. The movie started from the first clip. This is how Orson Welles wanted the movie to begin. A nice and unique format.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats