Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tough jeans

the hairy bloke

Familiar Face
Okay. I've never posted on this bit of the Lounge before, wandering about, somewhat drunkenly, in the WWII parts of the Bar.

But, I have a problem that, I hope someone can help solve. I really wreck trousers. Honestly, the knees go within a few weeks and even down below where a chap has his most precious possessions, can get torn as well.

I think the issue is sub-standard trousers.

What are the toughest easily available jeans? Especially available here in Dear Old Blighty.

All the Best

The Hairy Bloke

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think you want to go for upwards of 18oz denim. You might want to look at Ironheart, Unbranded or, if they appear on the roster, Gustins. Ironhearts do 32oz things that can stand up by itself, though you'll pay through the nose for them, but Gustin's 18oz are to be had for the £80-£100 mark.

the hairy bloke

Familiar Face
I would like something that lasts, but I am sure I need a pair with more threads to the inch than the cheap supermarket ones I get now.

If not jeans, then what?

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Perhaps a heavy duck material like Carhart? What type of work do you do that tears your pants up? The el-cheapo jeans I buy to do projects around the house last for years although they are quite stained.

the hairy bloke

Familiar Face
I'm a full time house-husband. With a three year old son to run after, wash, blow noses etc. I think I have sharp knees. I just get through cheap trousers at an alarming rate.

Fashion is not important, I just want the things to last.

pipvh

Practically Family
I'm the same as you with cheap jeans. Heavy denim does last longer, and heavy, pricey denim seems to last for ever (Sugar Canes, in my experience, are more or less indestructible, and they aren't even particularly heavy). Trouble is, you have to deal with the "you paid how much?" thing...

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
If style is not important to you you could go into a workwear shop and buy some of the stuff carpenters use. In Germany they have indestructible garments from corduroy and moleskin and also from Deutschleder (meaning German leather). This is a very heavy and abrasion resistant cotton that develops a patina much like leather. Used for real heavy duty work.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
My how the worm has turned. No miner, farmer, logger, longshoreman wearing out his work pants... instead its "Mister Mom" busting trou' all over the place... I've lived to long.

Worf

Edward

Bartender
A good compromise I've found between cost and durability are Prison Blues. Not selvedge, but tough and cheaper than the average... http://www.theamericaground.com/ Alternatively, keep an eye out for Freddies http://www.freddiesofpinewood.com Sadly Freddies have stopped doing the really nice 40s cut they used to, so I have no use for their men's jeans now, but the quality of the 50s model they do is good, and if you watch for a sale you can find them at in and around the £50 mark. The other option I'd look at would be the ones at Soldier of Fortune - http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/us-navy-1940s-deck-jeans-product,14013 I have a pair of these I've been wearing a lot for several months now, and they are great. Again around the £50 mark. The Freddies and the SoF jeans are selvedge. All three are around the 14oz mark (soem supermarket stuff seems to be 8-10oz), and hardwearing. I'd love to have something in these cuts in the really heavy denim, but I can't stomach the notion of paying £200 plus for a pair of jeans for kicking about in. YMMV, naturally.

Feraud

Bartender
I'm a full time house-husband. With a three year old son to run after, wash, blow noses etc. I think I have sharp knees. I just get through cheap trousers at an alarming rate.

Fashion is not important, I just want the things to last.
It would probably be cheaper to wear knee pads around the house if you're wearing out denim chasing a three year old. Probably better on the knees too..

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All of the above is excellent advice. I particularly like the Gustins I got last fall: reasonably priced, sturdy, and really comfortable. Check the Gustin thread for details about sizing, etc. Good luck with the kids: I did a bit of that myself and remember those days as some of my happiest. Cheers.

Tarwater

Familiar Face
I can't speak to the fit of these but I have the jacket in this material and if these are anything like it you will have a hard time wearing them out. Crazy tough 15oz fabric, made to be wear resistant in the brush, quality construction, made in USA

RanchHand Dungarees

For reference, the jacket

When I was a kid, my mom used to iron patches to the inside of my toughskins...
It definitely helped me not blow through the knees as quickly.
As I'm older now...and also with toddlers, I try not to do as much crawling as sitting and rolling- better on my joints :)

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had a pair of jeans lined with kevlar once, those things were designed to help save your skin should you take a two wheeled spill down the tarmac...felt a bit warm for casual wear. :)

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
Okay. I've never posted on this bit of the Lounge before, wandering about, somewhat drunkenly, in the WWII parts of the Bar.

But, I have a problem that, I hope someone can help solve. I really wreck trousers. Honestly, the knees go within a few weeks and even down below where a chap has his most precious possessions, can get torn as well.

I think the issue is sub-standard trousers.

What are the toughest easily available jeans? Especially available here in Dear Old Blighty.

All the Best

The Hairy Bloke

Folks here tend to immediately steer you to high end makers, but sounds like you might have a budget. Don't know if you are familiar with Dickies but they make a lot of work-oriented clothes. I have a pair of their cotton duck carpenter pants that seem indestructible (twill is also a very durable fabric). Carhartt is another option. Shop where working-type guys really shop. That also guarantees economy money-wise.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit