Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tourist cabins, auto and motor courts

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
a9af321106ae4c31e207b744f5fdd239.jpg

Rob

Flagstaff, Arizona...
I don't remember the exact year, but during the mid-1970s I took a "road trip" vacation with my sister, her future second husband, her son, and their dog. At one point during the trip we stayed at a motel in Flagstaff that appeared to have been a motor court at one point in time, with some cabins that were "standalone" and others that were "conjoined" with a door in the common wall between them. The facility was laid out like a three-sided rectangle with the rooms/cabins forming the border, and a sizable common area in the middle with green grass and a few "playground" items for kids to play on.

Fast forward a couple of decades, and during a trip to the Grand Canyon my wife booked a two-night stay in Flagstaff at the same motel; I didn't realize it until we rolled up on the place and I thought, "Why does this look familiar?" :D My wife had reserved one of their "deluxe" suites which, this being Flagstaff, was nothing more than two conjoined rooms with the common door between them removed; one was set up as the "living room" with a couch and television, the other set up as the "bedroom". Because these had previously been rented out as "separate" rooms each had it's own bathroom, and because the buildings had settled considerably over the years neither of the bathroom doors actually closed; the better of the two left a four inch gap between the door and jamb. Ahh, Flagstaff. :rolleyes:

3fingers

One Too Many
When I was younger I used to travel a fair amount and would look for older motels or travel courts from the 40's or 50's to early '60s to stay at. They were generally clean and reasonably priced. Jump forward 35+ years and motels from the 70s and 80s are generally infested holes that I wouldn't board my dog in.
There are always exceptions, but they seem few and far between.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
When I was younger I used to travel a fair amount and would look for older motels or travel courts from the 40's or 50's to early '60s to stay at. They were generally clean and reasonably priced. Jump forward 35+ years and motels from the 70s and 80s are generally infested holes that I wouldn't board my dog in.
There are always exceptions, but they seem few and far between.

Yeah, the wife and I still try to patronize the mom and pops when we find a decent one (i.e., non-extended stay), and we've stayed in some pretty seedy lodgings for the sake of nostalgia in the past, but at my age now I'm more inclined to spend the coin on a chain motel, both for safety and heath reasons.

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana