Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tourist cabins, auto and motor courts

I don't think I'd like that at all, and I'm sure my wife wouldn't; it sounds too cold and impersonal. Also, we're not the type who pester the staff with demands but I would think with little or no staff on-site it would take longer to resolve any problems that might arise.

I had mixed feelings. There was someone there during the day, but not in a "front desk" talk to me way. That said, there was a number to call that (my memory is not perfectly clear on this) said it would resolve any issue quickly / have somebody there quickly - something like that. I had no problems, so I didn't test it, but the hotel wasn't a dive or inexpensive (reasonably priced, but not cheap) and it was geared toward business people - so they must have had some system in place for problems.

I got more of a weird feeling than anything else - kinda Twilight Zone. It was - as noted - clean, well maintained, and leaning toward upscale (nice fixtures, decent amenities [really good gym] everything worked, nothing looked shabby), but just eerily quiet and missing the staff (I did see a maid, but even that was much less noticeable than in a regular hotel - but the room got nicely cleaned each day). iPads were a bit newer then and everything was done through iPad (felt very cutting-edge tech then) - check-in/out, virtual concierge, etc.

...I got more of a weird feeling than anything else - kinda Twilight Zone. It was - as noted - clean, well maintained, and leaning toward upscale (nice fixtures, decent amenities [really good gym] everything worked, nothing looked shabby), but just eerily quiet and missing the staff (I did see a maid, but even that was much less noticeable than in a regular hotel - but the room got nicely cleaned each day)...
That was the sort of feeling I got when I read your post, like a squatter taking advantage of an empty room in an abandoned building that had somehow been impeccably maintained. :confused:

3fingers

One Too Many
I went to a business meeting at one of those minimally staffed places a while back. The vendor who was hosting the meeting told me when he arrived the conference room was a litle warmer than was comfortable. He called a toll free number and the thermostat was adjusted remotely from who knows where. I never saw anyone from the hotel during the day, though I would assume there was at least a skeleton staff and housekeeping folks upstairs. It was a strange experience even without actually spending the night in a room. I looked up their rates afterwards and found they were competitive, but not substantially less than other places in the same city. You also could not call to reserve a room. It is 100% online. This model of hospitality may be fine for some people, but I didn't care for it.

I have to wonder how these minimally-staffed, or un-staffed, hotels and motels deal with unruly guests who are disturbing the other guests. If there's no one at the front desk to call to complain, do you have to look up the phone number and call the local police yourself, or...

fYZUXyy.jpg

o_O

3fingers

One Too Many
I have to wonder how these minimally-staffed, or un-staffed, hotels and motels deal with unruly guests who are disturbing the other guests. If there's no one at the front desk to call to complain, do you have to look up the phone number and call the local police yourself, or...

fYZUXyy.jpg

o_O
My wife and I stayed in a hotel last month for an early morning christening that was too far from home to drive without leaving home well before daylight. The occupants 2 doors down were engaging in adult behavior which the female wanted to be sure all guests on her floor were aware of her delight. I told my wife I was going to walk down the hall and cheer, but another guest beat me to it by beating on the door and telling them to put a sock in her mouth. Seeing that thing in the door would have taken the starch out of things quickly as well.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Of course. I bought an Entenmann's cake the other day and - as I do more often now because of FL - I noted the size was 1lb 2oz. Give me a break, first, the cake just felt small versus what I remember it to be and, second, no mind ever first sized a package cake at 1lb 2oz. You know that was probably a pound and half or even two before they started shaving ounces off over time to slightly cheat their customers. It's so obnoxious.

Any other products that haven't changed besides Ivory come to mind?
Possibly Barbasol shaving cream? It dates to the 1920s, I think, and certainly was mentioned in a lyric in Guys and Dolls. You can still buy the pressurized can, which came out after WWII, in drugstores, WM, and even the Dollar Tree.

The place is pretty much unchanged by the years, except the pay phone is disconnected and carries a sign reading "FOR NOSTALGIC PURPOSES ONLY."

I stayed in a Moody's cabin maybe thirty years ago, and it was like a scene out of "It Happened One Night." I don't believe they've changed any since then -- bare wooden shanties with cold running water. If you're cold at night, put on another blanket.

Just so you'd now that's its reason for being, eh? Good they got signs for this sorta thing.

Last edited:
Possibly Barbasol shaving cream? It dates to the 1920s, I think, and certainly was mentioned in a lyric in Guys and Dolls. You can still buy the pressurized can, which came out after WWII, in drugstores, WM, and even the Dollar Tree.

Been my go-to for decades, mostly cuz it's on the bottom shelf at the supermarket. I can get months out of single can. Doesn't take much.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Any other products that haven't changed besides Ivory come to mind?

Every time I go to the checkout counter at the grocery with tobacco products behind the counter, I kind of marvel at the packages of chewing tobacco.
I chewed in high school, there was a resurgence of interest when Walt Garrison became a spokesperson for SKOAL. All my friends and I dipped and chewed.
The foil packages of Beechnut, Red Man and Mail Pouch have gone unchanged in my lifetime, and they were old when I was a customer!
Cigarettes have had marketing campaigns to increase their appeal to new customers but “chaw” has a fast disappearing fan base.
I would bet the packaging design on the before mentioned brands is 100 years old.
91c77b5e7d8e332ec5f664aa9f494759.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21