Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traditional footwear for duck feet

Rottweiler

New in Town
Greetings gents,

In the last few years, I've learned to dress in Golden Era styles for comfort. A wide-brimmed fedora keeps the sun and Oregon rain off vastly better than a baseball cap, flannel trousers with suspenders feel like pajamas in cooler weather, as do Bill's poplin in summer, while jeans feel like canvas and a belt pinches the waist, etc.

The one exception I've found is that traditional shoes hurt like the Dickens. The problem is that my feet, size 9 in length, are 50% wider at the ball than at the heel (3.75" vs. 2.5" on my wider left foot) and then my toes splay out. They basically look like the first pair of B&W photos seen here. To squeeze into something classic like Allen Edmonds Park Avenues, I'd need feet like the second pair of photos. So far, the least painful solution I've found is buying Rockport oxfords (who wants to spend lots of money on painful shoes?) in 9EEE. They still constrict my toes a bit, but the toe tapers down less than on a "good" shoe like AE. Problem is, the extra wide width means they're too wide at the ball and huge at the heel.

Anyone else have duck feet like me and been down this road?

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
My feet are also in the wider side. I've tried on AE's before, but they are very uncomfortable in the toes. I swear they're made for people who are missing their little toes. >_<

I find that square toe shoes fit better...but I hate square toe shoes, from a style perspective.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
Its all about the last, the AE Park Ave is the narrowest and longest last AE makes so naturally it wouldn't fit someone with your feet. Maybe the 3, 7, or 8 last from AE would work better for you. Also, if you can find a pair of vintage Florsheim Imperial shoes you will find they are quite generous in the ball area. I have a pair in C width and I wear a D and they are still a little roomy. I think in Alden you should look for the Trubalance last or the Modified last for best fit, maybe the Barrie last as well but I have much less experience with Aldens unfortunately.

Rottweiler

New in Town
Yep, it's definitely all about the last. AE 3 and 4 come closest to fitting me (8 is too deep because it's an orthopedic; my feet aren't sensitive, just broad in front). The problem is, the company won't sell me anything in those lasts except a split toe blucher (Walton), a bicycle toe blucher (Sagamore), or rubber-soled suede blucher (Berkshire). Not exactly your dapper brogued oxford.

Alden seems to have the same "only narrow pointy forefeet get more formal shoes" policy, at least in cowhide. The only oxford on any of those lasts they offer is a split toe blucher. Plenty of horsie on the Barrie last, but prices start at $560. Hardly seems reasonable when Lucchese will sell you Classics in any toe shape, in much nicer kangaroo or smooth ostrich, for a smidge less.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The problem is, the company won't sell me anything in those lasts except a split toe blucher (Walton), a bicycle toe blucher (Sagamore), or rubber-soled suede blucher (Berkshire).
I was under the impression that AE's MTO program would allow for virtually any combination of leathers and last. But I'm sure you inquired......

For your fit needs I would recommend a couple of Mephisto models from their dress line as they are well made of quality leathers but alas they are rubber soled bluchers.

carldelo

One Too Many
You might try on a pair of Ecco shoes if they're offered in your area. The design philosophy is to have a close-fitting heel, with a roomy toebox to allow the toes to splay naturally during walking. I have many pair and quite like them - they have insoles that can be removed if necessary to permit orthotics to be used. I do have wide feet in the front, although not to your extent, I think. No brogues are offered, unfortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran