Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transitioning to dresses

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Heather said:
*sigh* yes, i know. I'm finding a LOT of those open toed wedges. I think "oh, those are cute...oh, shoot, they're open toed..." and thus the search continues lol

Remix has a 40s playshoe-style wedge that has a closed toe (style name Pathway). It's on their sale page - http://www.remixvintageshoes.com/salepage.html

pathway4colors.gif

Also, they have a number of 30s styles with closed toes.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I like the look of oxford heels or short lace-up boots with long skirts and tights, a look that is very forgiving of moving about.

Lenore

Practically Family
No cute outfit today. Very bad morning + no coffee = throw on the first thing in the closet that fits and ballet flats.

I'll try to have a better morning tomorrow. :)

VintageLove

New in Town
I seem to have the same problem. I love to wear skirts and dresses, but find that heels are not always a viable option. But I must agree with the keds comment from earlier. Though they are a bit casual, they look great with gored skirts and day dresses. And if I'm feeling a little "undone," I just put a little more effort into my hair and makeup and it usually makes me feel better :)

xitsvivx

Familiar Face
kamikat said:
Heather, the gel pad I'm talking about goes on the floor, around your chair, like this
rhino-hide.jpg

If you DO happen to have one of these pads... DONT wear stilettos or kitten heels.. from experience... ive put a couple holes in these things myself and its not fun getting your heel with your foot stuck in the mat while holding some shears.

i dont see why hairdressing has limited you to only wearing pants.. hairdressing never limited me in what I wore.. and as long as my flats were cute, i went ahead and wore em. Just find a "fancier" looking flat. And if you do decide to wear something with lift.. wedge heels are a whooooole lot comfier.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
xitsvivx said:
i dont see why hairdressing has limited you to only wearing pants.. hairdressing never limited me in what I wore.. and as long as my flats were cute, i went ahead and wore em. Just find a "fancier" looking flat. And if you do decide to wear something with lift.. wedge heels are a whooooole lot comfier.

No kidding. Most hairdressers I've seen wear a huge variety of clothing, from very casual, to dressy. It seems that all there really is to limit you is the discomfort of being on your feet all day.

Heather

Practically Family
I guess that's the trouble...I have yet to find a pair of comfortable shoes that are cute! I'm definitly going to look further into wedges. Oh my gosh, xitsvivx, that be a mental image I'll probably never get out of my mind. Sure how you didn't twist your ankle!

Lenore

Practically Family
xitsvivx said:
its not fun getting your heel with your foot stuck in the mat while holding some shears.

Heather said:
Oh my gosh, xitsvivx, that be a mental image I'll probably never get out of my mind. Sure how you didn't twist your ankle!

Or some scissors stuck in your client's neck. Yeowch!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Heather said:
I guess that's the trouble...I have yet to find a pair of comfortable shoes that are cute! I'm definitly going to look further into wedges. Oh my gosh, xitsvivx, that be a mental image I'll probably never get out of my mind. Sure how you didn't twist your ankle!

It all depends on your definition of cute. I love these Bass maryjanes and they are on my to-buy list. Amazon has them at a decent price but I need to wait for payday.
Bass-Campus-Mary-Jane-150x150.jpg

texasgirl

One Too Many
The last 6 months or so I've been wearing a lot more dresses. Mainly Monday-Wednesday- as the week drags on I tend to get more casual :) I wear little Mary Jane flats or boots. These are similiar to what I wear and super comfy. I have a black pair of Naturalizer's that I got at DSW and a red pair of Bandolino's I got at Macy's.

10757-718352-p.jpg

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:
It all depends on your definition of cute. I love these Bass maryjanes and they are on my to-buy list. Amazon has them at a decent price but I need to wait for payday.
Bass-Campus-Mary-Jane-150x150.jpg

I have had my eye on those exact shoes too! Bass is so expensive :mad:

Heather

Practically Family
Yay! A sale! Thanks for that heads up! Now to convince my husband...i feel like I've been spending too much lately (eBay and etsy are dangerous!) but maybe I can convince with the "it's a work necessity for ergonomics sake". Hehe

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
20444_283854249163_624014163_3412517_4143335_n.jpg

I wear Merrells everyday with socks and dresses. I hardly ever wear heels and never wear stockings. I really don't understand what you are asking -- you want to incorporate more skirts, but argue that you can't because you can't wear heels with it? Skirts and dresses are cute with flat shoes and give it a youthful look. If you don't like it, don't wear it. If your job prevents you from wearing heels and you just don't think skirts look good without heels, just accept that and stick to what you think looks good.

I find Remix and Aris Allen to be uncomfortable. They look cute, but I always end up changing them mid-day (even when sitting all day!) They also run small so be sure to get one size larger (I wear a 9 and have to buy a 10 in those brands.)

ETA link to the shoes: http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/W-F-F/18185W/0/Women/Footwear/Filters/Womens/Orchid

They are kinda expensive, but they LAST and they are very comfortable and fit properly. Not to mention they have a bit of a "heel" on them, yet still look like a flat shoe! I love them.

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
Those Mary Janes are massively cute. Enablers!

I just got
http://www.softspots.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=2925
at DSW for 25. I am seriously addicted. I'm really happy in heels, but I walk a lot at work (we have a "campus" so I might end up needing something a 20 minute walk away) They are padded like sneakers inside. I got a ton of compliments on them.

Thank you for starting this thread, you totally read my mind. I'm in the same boat of trying to shift a wardrobe, but my problem is way more the dresses than the shoes!

My problem is, I need work-appropriate dresses, with at least short sleeves (it's very cold, and we have a dress code, and I can't deal with constantly matching long sleeves to wear under/with things). I'd rather two, three cute repro day dresses but I'm totally striking out. Anyone have any suggestions for affordable non-plastic/disposable (Forever 21, etc) repros? I'm nearly 6' and everything on ModCloth is getting mentioned as fairly on the short side. If my machine worked, I'd sew one.. but....

swinggal

One Too Many
I have some Keds wedges that are like wearing sneakers, they are so comfy and still give a vintage look.

I have these in black with a gingham check.

g0_keds_midnight_wedge_mj_canvas_barn_red_wf24438.jpg

They have a lot of very cool vintage styles the moment and they are so comfy :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy