Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travel Fedora

K

Kaosharper1

Dumbjaw:

I'm afraid that I'm a 7 3/8, so they'd be a little big on me, otherwise I'd probably bid.

Rider

Familiar Face
A naive related question: What happens to a hat when one goes through airport security? Does it go in a bin to go through the scanner device?

RBH

Bartender
Rider said:
A naive related question: What happens to a hat when one goes through airport security? Does it go in a bin to go through the scanner device?
I have placed it in the bin with my belt and shoes, but I have also worn it while I stepped through the 'metal detector'.

And I will add ..I always wear it when on the plane.

Fantômas

New in Town
The Borsalino Allessandria was/is a crushable and comes both lined and unlined and it sure can take a beating.

The crown is not high enough to make you look like a hood, but the brim is wide enough to keep the sun out of your blinkers and I've drawn compliments with it everywhere I've gone -- especially from the birds who like a man in a hat.

I have a black one and it's a modern thing; the felt is, well, not like they used to have. But it's taken a beating: rained on, sat on, abused by children, sweated out and up and down and all over, brushed incorrectly and was once carefully slept on by a cat. The sweat band is ribbon and the outer ribbon is only 1.5" or so...but any higher and it'd be too dressy for it's own good.

This model has always come back to life with flying colors and can be hand-formed into a variety of looks and various dent styles -- one can even squash and roll it down into a porkpie.

Sometimes is takes on a bit of a trilby-like look in the front heading into the crown -- sort of sloping thing to the profile. I prefer a very vertical front to my fedoras (stove-pipe-like), but this little Bors takes such a beating for me I go for long stretches of daily wear with the thing.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Rider said:

I have done it both ways. The screeners usually prefer that you put it in a tray, but I've found that the sweep devices at the intake end usually scoop it out of the tray and it ends up rolling around on the belt. NOT good!

I don't need their equipment to soil my hat, so I now remove it, hold it in my hand and ask them to hand-inspect it. They usually are willing to do so.

The last time I did this, the hat was a dark grey Stetson Stratoliner; the gent who looked it over smiled and said 'You have a nice CIA thing going there". When I got on the plane the 40-something flight attendant at the front of the plane murmured when i passed by "Why don't men wear hats any more? You look great."

I started that flight feeling somewhat reinforced. :D

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have tried to wear my hat threw the metal detectors but was asked to remove it every time. So I just put it in the tray automatically.

Pilgrim: To avoid the hat rolling around, put it in the tray crown down and fill it with your wallet, watch, whatever. It also speeds up getting out of the security area afterwards. Grab your hat and go.

Johnny

Yourreflectphot

New in Town
Traveling Hat

Howdy!

I am Jerry from Texas and I am looking for a hat to wear while traveling. I am going to North Carolina for Thanksgiving. I am interested in a nice fedora hat with a low crown and wide brim that would frame my face. I am looking to spend about $150 or so. I did find two hats, both at Dillards. One was a felt hat for around $60.00 and a Durfman Pacific hat made in the USA for I think $110.00 felt and crushable. Not much to choose from at all. Perhaps a hat that is crushable and can be worn both in the winter and summer months. I would graciously appreciate any help you can offer.

Best,
Jerry

Last edited:

Bad Co

One of the Regulars
In that price range you can't go wrong with an Akubra
Akubra Traveller or Cattleman for the Country style
Akubra Stylemaster of Sydney in Fedora Style

David Morgan.com sells them You can also find them on ebay
According to what size you are I may have them also

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
:

:arated:

tuco1963

One of the Regulars

100% agree akubra rocks
but for $100 you can get a really decent fur felt on ebay stetson akubra etc etc and yet a akubra slouch hat from david morgan costs just $120 and in my opinion is the ultimate travel survival party fedora

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Another vote here for Akubras. I would forget about the Dorfman pacific hat, those crushable wool things look rather, hmmm, how can I put this... uninspiring ?
Dude, if you have 150 smackaroos to spend then you've got yourself a ticket to hat heaven !........check out the bay of evil too, you may find a little gem for a good deal less than what you're prepared to spend. One word of caution though,If you do buy online, you've got to know your real head/hat size, no "round about" or "more or less" it will save you a lot of hassle.
I can't see how Tuco's suggestion above of a slouch hat can be passed off as a fedora though..:rolleyes:

Yourreflectphot

New in Town
Traveling Hat

Good Evening!

My name is Jerry Johnston, from Montgomery, Texas and I have been a member for a while here and love it! You all helped me pick out my first panama hat from panama bob!

I would like to buy a fedora. My requirements are that the hat have a low crown, and a nice somewhat wide brim a nice hat I can wear with anything, possibly be crush able and be able to withstand sweat from a big Texan with a 7 3/8 head an be in the $150-200 range.

I would graciously appreciate your help. I would be willing to buy a used hat too.

Best,
Jerry

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
I used to have a Christys foldaway. it was a great hat, although i sold it as i'd bought wrong size (it was my starter hat).
as soon as i can find another one in grey i'd have no hesitation in buying another.although i notice some websites are charging
a fortune for them. nice hat but not worth up to £200 +

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy