Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travelling Akruba

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
CRH said:
Why do I picture your hats speckled in drool and sticky finger prints lol?
Hehe, luckily, she's not quite that leaky. But she does tend to crush my hats when she gets her hands on them and tears the lining out if there's any remaining...

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Wolfwood said:
Hehe, luckily, she's not quite that leaky. But she does tend to crush my hats when she gets her hands on them and tears the lining out if there's any remaining...

lol lol lol

She will have fond memories of her Father's hats her whole life. This seems important to me :).

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I got back from my trip. Total travel time 66 hours. Took my Akruba Fed Deluxe IV. Hat was easy to carry. Took a beating going through TSA inspection points. Came out looking great. No signs of wear and tear. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Goose.

Practically Family
Dear Mr. Carlise Blues...

How was the hat stowed during this journey? Did you wear it on the aeroplane? Under the seat? Overhead?

What happened with the TSA? Specifics please.

Did you bring me back a souvenir?

Kind Regards,
Goose.

Carlisle Blues

Goose. said:
Dear Mr. Carlise Blues...

How was the hat stowed during this journey? Did you wear it on the aeroplane? Under the seat? Overhead?

What happened with the TSA? Specifics please.

Did you bring me back a souvenir?

Kind Regards,
Goose.

I wore it....placed it on my laps when reading ...TSA had to go through X-Ray on conveyor belt got a little crushed, but, popped right back into place. Never steamed the hat to begin with and it retained it's shape. I was carrying a lap top case in addition to a carry on. Still no problem...:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:
I wore it....placed it on my laps when reading ...TSA had to go through X-Ray on conveyor belt got a little crushed, but, popped right back into place. Never steamed the hat to begin with and it retained it's shape. I was carrying a lap top case in addition to a carry on. Still no problem...:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Great to hear it worked out fine. I was sure it would.

But you've got me curious.

Some years back, TSA wanted me to take my hat off and hold it in my hand, crown up, when going through the metal detector. Didn't understand why but knew enough not to ask a lot of questions.

Later on, they wanted me to put it on the conveyor. More recently, they have insisted that I keep it on my head when going through the metal detector. They've told me to put it back on whenever I tried to take it off.

Now when it's been an Akubra, I've been leery of this because the thin steel sweatband reed has set it off on several occasions when the sensitivity was set very high. When it has gone off, they've asked for me to pass them the hat and then go through again. But they've steadfastly refused to let me put it on the conveyor.

Last plane trip, same experience, was this past June.

Now you're saying they wanted you do that?
This is all very confusing.
I don't get the changing logic.

- Bill

Carlisle Blues

Woodfluter said:
Great to hear it worked out fine. I was sure it would.

But you've got me curious.

Some years back, TSA wanted me to take my hat off and hold it in my hand, crown up, when going through the metal detector. Don't understand why. Later on, they wanted me to put it on the conveyor. More recently, they have insisted that I wear it going through the metal detector.

Now when it's been an Akubra, I've been leery of this because the thin steel reed has set it off on several occasions when the sensitivity was set very high. When it has gone off, they've asked for me to pass them the hat and then go through again. But they've steadfastly refused to let me put it on the conveyor.

Now you're saying they wanted you do that?
This is all very confusing.
I don't get the changing logic.

- Bill

I do not as well. International customs, as well as, TSA counterpart were of the opinion that. "keep the hat on this is not the United States" whatever that means. Coming back into the US Customs wanted me to declare the lid citing it was made in Australia.....I showed my various federal and state ids and replied, "I have an eightr hour layover, let's contact my credit card company do we can prove I bought the hat in the US NOT in Australia". Very odd experience. Maybe it was my face?[huh]

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Carlisle Blues said:
... Very odd experience. Maybe it was my face?[huh]

:eek:fftopic:

I don't know what it is but I've never had a good experience with the TSA and the last time was the worst.

I ended up standing in no man's land hatless with my pants unbuttoned, unzipped and my belt unhooked, WITH MY HANDS UP... so after about 2 or 3 minutes I reached down to hold my pants up and the brown shirt came back and tapped me on the shoulder with a stick and told me to get both of my hands up :rage: ... I could see much uneasiness, confusion and embarrassment on the faces of the other customers around me. Shortly thereafter a supervisor came by and waved me through....

I have since murdered that brown shirt in my dreams in many different ways and many different levels of pain ;) .

Carlisle Blues

CRH said:
:eek:fftopic:

I ended up standing in no man's land hatless with my pants unbuttoned, unzipped and my belt unhooked, WITH MY HANDS UP... so after about 2 or 3 minutes I reached down to hold my pants up and the brown shirt came back and tapped me on the shoulder with a stick and told me to get both of my hands up :rage:

I have since murdered that brown shirt in my dreams in many different ways and many different levels of pain ;) .

It was not as bad as your experience. I just love the look on the face of the "officials" when I tell them to address me by my professional title and dress them down as if they were the public servants they actually are.lol :p

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
In Helsinki and Brussels airports I was told to put the hat on the conveyor - well, I did it without them having to ask, actually.

Carlisle Blues said:
It was not as bad as your experience. I just love the look on the face of the "officials" when I tell them to address me by my professional title and dress them down as if they were the public servants they actually are.lol :p
Darn, I'll have to remember that... I'll have to train myself to use an indignant expression when I tell them to call me a doctor... :p

Carlisle Blues

Wolfwood said:
In Helsinki and Brussels airports I was told to put the hat on the conveyor - well, I did it without them having to ask, actually.

Darn, I'll have to remember that... I'll have to train myself to use an indignant expression when I tell them to call me a doctor... :p

Well it all depends on how much heartburn you want and the circumstances. I did not mind when I was singled out for a wand search when they were looking for explosives. I was treated with the respect due a would -be terrorist. It was the hat situation that I found unacceptable. Not because it was a hat, per se, but because it was ridiculous. There position was without merit and they knew it. ;)lol

majormoore

Vendor
Last year while travling, I took my 100% silver belly western hat off, laid in a tub by itself with my boots in another tub, boot tub in front of the hat tub, as I walked thru I looked over my shoulder and saw the man at the tubs take my hat out and laid in down on the black rubber moving belt that pulls the tubs into the screening box, when it came out on the other side, you guessed it , it was a mess, black , grease marks all over it.

I stood right there and would not leave until some one in charge came over, which he did , and he told me I would have to fill out about 5 forms, which I said ok, give them to me, he left and came back 30 min later and handed them to me, one form I would have to have three differant quotes as to the cost to repair, and send all forms into DC to be reviewed and I was told it would be 90 days before they would decide if claim was payable.

The thing that really made me mad is when I asked the goof ball who took it out of the tub why he did, his answer was it's just a hat!!!!

So now when I travel I have a clear plastic bag, I place the hat in and tie the end up and put it in the tub, so no black marks get on it, while in the tub or when the goof ball wants to take it out of the tub.

Major Moore

Carlisle Blues

majormoore said:
Last year while travling, I took my 100% silver belly western hat off, laid in a tub by itself with my boots in another tub, boot tub in front of the hat tub, as I walked thru I looked over my shoulder and saw the man at the tubs take my hat out and laid in down on the black rubber moving belt that pulls the tubs into the screening box, when it came out on the other side, you guessed it , it was a mess, black , grease marks all over it.

I stood right there and would not leave until some one in charge came over, which he did , and he told me I would have to fill out about 5 forms, which I said ok, give them to me, he left and came back 30 min later and handed them to me, one form I would have to have three differant quotes as to the cost to repair, and send all forms into DC to be reviewed and I was told it would be 90 days before they would decide if claim was payable.

The thing that really made me mad is when I asked the goof ball who took it out of the tub why he did, his answer was it's just a hat!!!!

So now when I travel I have a clear plastic bag, I place the hat in and tie the end up and put it in the tub, so no black marks get on it, while in the tub or when the goof ball wants to take it out of the tub.

Major Moore

And that is why I did not take "The Major" on this trip. That beautiful hat would have been more appropriate for the destination, but, the Akubra while not expendable was easier to take while getting beat up. lol lol

Mr. Paladin

I have air-traveled internationally and domestically and have had similar confusing requirements as to what to do with my hat. The worst was on just a short domestic flight to Austin from Dallas and I had to put my custom OR in a tub and run it through the machine. All the other times they wanted me to wear it. I came out on the other side ok but I was not happy. Thank goodness I didn't have the Major's experience! I had no trouble with a fedora at all on a recent intl. flight. Just wore it through. TSA is typical of all government bureaucracies though...Mr. Left Hand meet Mr. Right Hand, because its painfully obvious you neither one know each other!!!

Spats McGee

One Too Many
majormoore said:
. . . The thing that really made me mad is when I asked the goof ball who took it out of the tub why he did, his answer was it's just a hat!!!! . . . .
"Just a hat" . . . :eusa_doh:

Frankly, I can't imagine why he felt the need to take the hat out of the tub in the first place, but "just a hat. . . " If that'd been my hat, I could have enjoyed chewing through the bureaucracy to get my reimbursement! :rage:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner