Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travelsmith's packable panama ?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
travelsmithpanama.jpg

their description: A Genuine Panama Hat with a Genuine Twist
...a lightweight, sun-shielding classic...Handwoven from young, flexible leaves of the Carrludovica palm, it’s a genuine Panama with a twist. Only one village weaves the twisted straw that makes this fedora so strong and springy: Fold the brim against the crown and stow this hat in a golf bag, a suitcase, or an airplane overhead. Black grosgrain hatband sports an adjustable camlock buckle; elasticized CoolMax™ sweatband offers updated comfort. Equally flattering on men and women. Made in the USA.
Men’s or Women’s Packable Panama Hat
Weight: 3.4oz.

So...panama bob or others knowledgeable about such things, does this ring true or is it just a line of hogwash? If true this could be the answer to a summertime prayer, but I am dubious...

Psykik

New in Town
Hi,
I bought an earlier version of this hat from Travelsmith in 2001. I took it on a 2 week trip through Thailand. It came nicely folded, but held its creases and fold. It was a decent hat to have with me in Thailand, but I was less than satisfied with the notable folds in the hat- even when on your head. The slight v-shape brim just didn't thrill me. I still have it, folded, and haven't really used it since.

It is hard to explain, but unfolding it to wear makes me want to iron it, like a shirt or pants with a deep unwanted crease.

It is possible that in six years, the hat has improved.

Be well,
Rob
Long Beach, NY

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy