Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

3Horn

New in Town
Pat_H said:
I'd hate to think of having to replace it, and frankly if it gets too severely ratty, I doubt I could find a suitable replacement locally.

You'd be surprised, I picked up a Londontown with the liner in virtually new shape last Saturday. $20 at Goodwill plus the cost of running it through the laundry.

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
grenfell cloth trenchcoat

I have a grenfell cloth trenchcoat made by haythornthwaite & sons ltd.It is very similar to paddy's ( and my ) burberry trenchcoats.
Unfortunately,the sleeve loops have been removed.the belt has metal covered holes and metal D rings.the pockets have a two buttoned over flap covering them.the back vent has a very full overlapping pleated effect on one side,inside ( i'll post pictures of that,i'm hopeless at explaining things ).the back vent has two buttons securing it.the collar and lapel corners are all sharp and square,not rounded like the burberrys.the belt also has a leather buckle,same as the burberry.the storm patch/flap has a button and sharp corner.
Once i get a place to upload pics,i will post some pics of it.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
I recently won on Ebay what I believe to be an original British Despatch Riders Trench. This is an incredible trench made of extremely heavy canvas with the big angled pocket in front. Excellent condition also. I still havn't figured what all the snaps and buckles are for inside. The amazing thing is that it had a bin price of 25 bucks.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
HDRnR said:
I recently won on Ebay what I believe to be an original British Despatch Riders Trench. This is an incredible trench made of extremely heavy canvas with the big angled pocket in front. Excellent condition also. I still havn't figured what all the snaps and buckles are for inside. The amazing thing is that it had a bin price of 25 bucks.

Wow! You lucky Dog!

cgab1

One of the Regulars
Question about wearing a trench coat

Hello to all,

If one is wearing a trench coat with a suit, should the suit jacket be removed or should the trench coat be worn over the suit jacket? Advice appreciated!

Cgab

Randy

Familiar Face
I'm am no expert, but my understanding is that the overcoat/trench coat is outerwear, and much like a hat, is removed when you reach your destination. So, in the case of a suit I would think that you would wear your suit jacket under your overcoat else you would not be properly dressed when you took your coat off. Mine fits loosely enough in the arms that it would not cause much wrinkling of the coat arms, if any at all, but again, I'm no expert...

- R

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great WWII trenchcoat photo of USAAF Aviator.

wargroupbomberpilots3.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just a quick TRENCHCOAT LOVERS reminder...(photos)

Don't forget that at the TOP of the OUTERWEAR ROOM there are a mulitude of resoure PHOTOS under the heading of TRENCHCOAT REFERENCE which will show you the different ways and situations in which this notable piece of garment wear can and has been displayed in movies, advertising to wartime!

This is possibly the LARGEST COLLECTION OF TRENCHCOAT PHOTOS in one place.

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Help - how to restore my water repellent trench coat

About 2 months ago I bought a trench coat from ebay. It is stated as French Military Motorcycle Jacket / trench coat. I hope this link still works. - But I guess the pic has gone...

I really like this coat - it is made of some kind of canvas material and indeed, very ideal for motorcycle rider - it covers me quite well (and it's quite heavy and bulky). Not sure how come it is determined directly as French, well, maybe because there's a stamp inside the lining stated "Montpellier".

I used this quite often during the rain - as I think it is intended to be. It was great - water can't come through practically. However, I feel that gradually this water repellent nature is decreasing. Now it can only hold light drizzle. The harder the rain, I will most likely get wet specially in the sleeves and lower part of the coat, which has no lining. But the upper part (from waist to neck) remains OK, maybe because it has lining.

I also noticed when this coat arrive, it smells. Not terrible, but it has certain kind of odor. Now this odor has gone, as well as the water repellency. I wonder if it's related, though.

This is quite depressing :eusa_doh: I wonder how to make this coat waterproof again. I even has a crazy idea to spray this with lubricant, or even with grease... I can't determine either whether the material is the one you called "oilcloth" (that needs reproofing)? Unfortunately I'm not familiar with that material either :eusa_doh:

Can anyone help me?

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the tip, Diamond, appreciate it.

But it doesn't really matter anymore...

Because... I lost the coat! :( :( :(

I can't believe it.. I tied it to the back of my motorcycle as usual.. but maybe this time it wasn't too tight, so during my recent long-range trip with my motorcycle it might have fallen down.. I didn't even notice it! :rage: :( I found that it was missing after I stopped! D'oh!!!! :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
How do you fold / pack your duster / trench coat / riding coat?

It may sound silly - but seriously, after losing my trench coat during my motorcycle ride, I realize how important the packing / folding method of a long coat - if any...

So can anyone help me in showing - picture guidance would be great - on how to fold / pack / roll a trench coat / duster / riding coat / any other type of long coat?

I may be wrong but in the old pictures of soldiers outfit usually they carry this "bundle / roll" over their backpack - is that their long coat / trench coat?

I believe WWII German motorcyclist soldier usually has this "roll/bundle" tied at the back of their motorcycle saddle or even at the front (under headlamp or even near handlebar).

More tips on attaching this folded / rolled trench coat on motorcycle would be appreciated too.

Thanks.

Copper

One of the Regulars
Though I cannot really offer any decent tips on rolling riding jackets or dusters, I have just picked up some Kakadu stuff that I quite like. I noticed on there that they make a specific oilskin bag for their dusters and riding jackets. It looks like it would be perfect for strapping down to a bike

http://www.kakaduimports.com/product_p/9l40.htm

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Burberry battles British weather!

Just one for the Trench archives here. Burberry 'as ever' Reporting from the Front!! (a rather bitter, gusty front! ;) ).

easportsracer13

Familiar Face
Hello, I found this thread and I figured this would be a good place to ask a question. I currently have a Bill Blass trench which I like very much, however it has seen better days and Im looking to replace it. I went to burlington coat factory and found a great coat by Charles Klein. However, they did not have my size. 54L or 56L Does anyone know where else I can get this coat? Charles Klein doesnt seem to have a website

Feraud

Bartender
easportsracer13 said:
Hello, I found this thread and I figured this would be a good place to ask a question. I currently have a Bill Blass trench which I like very much, however it has seen better days and Im looking to replace it. I went to burlington coat factory and found a great coat by Charles Klein. However, they did not have my size. 54L or 56L Does anyone know where else I can get this coat? Charles Klein doesnt seem to have a website
Is there another BCF in your area? Ask Burlington to call another outlet and check if they carry your size.
There is always Ebay..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael