Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Matt,
Can you tell me more about your trench? I am actually in the market for one. Epaulets are very important to me and I want it to be khaki. I am not afraid of Bogart comparisons; infact, I invite them. I am going to the Burberry outlet in Wrentham, MA. They sell a trench for $500, but it has a thick lining and is almost too much coat. I like a trench to drape over your suits not obscure them.
Thanks.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
If I remember correctly the modern Burberry coats are rather different than their vintage ones. My dad has a vintage Burberry trench and it is really nice, the ones I have seen in the stores don't look or feel quite the same.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think you are right. There is one model that is very similar to Bogart's, though I have yet to do a side-by-side comparison. The only thing is, this model by Burberry is $2,500. That is a bit rich for my budget.

I do have a black trench coat by Georgio Armani that I have had for ten years. It is a great timeless coat, but the black color is very striking and not always appropriate for the ocassion or suit, if you know what I mean.

android

One of the Regulars
eBay

eBay is the way to get a classic Burberry.
I paid about $150 for one in very nice condition.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Looking for the info...

This one?

mulder1lrg.jpg

Matt Jones

Familiar Face
Any particular episode?

He usually wore a plain old single-breasted trench coat in dark grey or black. Nothing special about it as far as I can recall.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Some may not like the thrift stores, but I've seen a lot of high end trench coats "without" the raglan shoulders at Goodwill. They go for about $20.00 or less. Many people seem to buy them and then not wear them as they often look brand new.

fedoralover

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know where you live but around here trench coats and overcoats are plentiful in thrift stores and are in fantastic condition since they get almost no use with our weather.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
To Bogie or not

For those that wear a trench coat: how do you fasten belt?
Bogart alwasy seemed to tie the belt like a sash. Others (Alan Ladd maybe?) put the end through buckle.
Who emulates Bogie and who doesn't amongst us?

The Wolf

shamus

Suspended
A trenchcoat was the first "real" jacket I ever bought. And by real I mean actual moneys spent for a new coat. I think it's a london fog. Everyone needs one.

I went thrifing this weekend and thought I'd share my day. As to what you find... you never know. I found a great Burberry OverCoat that seems to be in my size for $14.00. I checked it over and found nothing wrong with it.
I also found a peak label single button jacket.. too small for me, but couldn't pass it up. And I also bought the worlds ugliest suit. An early 70's model in Black and white herringbone with black velvet accents and a "belted back". It's absolutly hiddious...I couldn't pass it up!

So three things. One for me and two for ebay which will pay for the one for me...

Keep thrifting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy