Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
And you can see again the quality-level of todays Burberry trenchcoats. There's just no big difference to my (german) 199 EUR-storebrand-trenchcoat, which is basically the same massmarket-cutaway modell, of course not made from genuine Gabardine, but rather solid 59% cotton/41% Nylon-Gabardine weave.
I agree that too much legend has grown up around "vintage Burberry trench coats", when it fact they were really just good quality but not amazing. I have a couple of coats made in Canada from a West German fabric which are just as good as my vintage Burberry coats. There may have been a time several decades ago when they stood above the rest of the field, but that hasn't been so since at least the 1980s. Still, you can't go wrong if you get one for a reasonable price.

Hanover Fiste

New in Town
Question...

I've got a Burberrys' here, and added a the zip-in liner. All signs point to it being
the Real Deal, not a clone. On the back of the left pocket label is a handwritten
notation (repair? modification?) dating it as 1994.

EXCELLENT build quality... if this is a copy, the counterfeiter went to an awful lot
of trouble to cross all the Ts and dot all the Is to make it look authentic.

Only one thing puzzles me... no gun flap!

Anybody know of others without the gun flap?

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Question...

I've got a Burberrys' here, and added a the zip-in liner. All signs point to it being
the Real Deal, not a clone. On the back of the left pocket label is a handwritten
notation (repair? modification?) dating it as 1994.

EXCELLENT build quality... if this is a copy, the counterfeiter went to an awful lot
of trouble to cross all the Ts and dot all the Is to make it look authentic.

Only one thing puzzles me... no gun flap!

Anybody know of others without the gun flap?
I have one without the gun flap. They did a bunch of coats in the 1990s and early 2000s without the flap. Some from that era were 100% cotton (instead of Burberry's traditional blend) in colours like grey and olive green with non-standard check for the lining. The same coats from that period often didn't have a throat latch, either.

I have never really bought the argument that there are lots of counterfeit Burberry trench coats out there, which is asserted constantly on other clothing forums. I have no doubt that many of Burberry's flashy fashion items have been counterfeited to capture the "gotta have the latest" demand, but the classic boring trench coats don't fit into that category, and as you state they're so well made it just seems bonkers to bother to counterfeit. I realize they can do super quality stuff in Asia but the whole point of counterfeit is to make quick $$$ by banging out cheap copies, not make lovingly constructing replica items which would require as much labour and materials as the originals but would never get full price.

Hanover Fiste

New in Town
I have one without the gun flap. They did a bunch of coats in the 1990s and early 2000s without the flap. Some from that era were 100% cotton (instead of Burberry's traditional blend) in colours like grey and olive green with non-standard check for the lining. The same coats from that period often didn't have a throat latch, either.

I have never really bought the argument that there are lots of counterfeit Burberry trench coats out there, which is asserted constantly on other clothing forums. I have no doubt that many of Burberry's flashy fashion items have been counterfeited to capture the "gotta have the latest" demand, but the classic boring trench coats don't fit into that category, and as you state they're so well made it just seems bonkers to bother to counterfeit. I realize they can do super quality stuff in Asia but the whole point of counterfeit is to make quick $$$ by banging out cheap copies, not make lovingly constructing replica items which would require as much labour and materials as the originals but would never get full price.

I hear ya, loud & clear re. counterfeits... but I must admit that I DID get burned on a
matching scarf. Lesson learned... NEVER buy Burberry online!

As for the trench coat... real or fake, it's a really decent item in any case. My personal
homage to Bogie!

It's fibre blend is the traditional one, not a pure cotton.

Attachments

• Full Bogie medium.jpg
    Full Bogie medium.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,318

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
In the 1980's I had a Burberry trench from the 1950's. That thing was of an incredibly solid build and made all the imitators, from London Fog up, like cheap trash. The weave was tight and thick and wore like iron. I'm fairly sure Burberry hasn't been up to snuff for a few decades.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
In the 1980's I had a Burberry trench from the 1950's. That thing was of an incredibly solid build and made all the imitators, from London Fog up, like cheap trash. The weave was tight and thick and wore like iron. I'm fairly sure Burberry hasn't been up to snuff for a few decades.
There's a legend which has propagated and spread on the interweb that the Burberry Trench 21 model, which was cancelled in the 1990s, was a heavyweight coat, but it wasn't for a long time, if it ever was. You're quite right that nothing in the past few decades has been able to match the quality of the coat you had, although construction quality (by which I mean "how well it's screwed together") will likely have gotten better over time.

-Ariel-

Familiar Face
I see on the modern trenches (since 1960s, i guess) the fabric is tough, but the fabric of prewar trenches were more softly. You see how sticking the left lapel of Hardy's trench.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I see on the modern trenches (since 1960s, i guess) the fabric is tough, but the fabric of prewar trenches were more softly. You see how sticking the left lapel of Hardy's trench.
My general sense is that you're correct, that modern high-end coats are made from a tighter-weave cloth that is probably more waterproof than in the past, but is also stiffer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21