Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

Thomas Bostwick

New in Town
Trench coat in the summer? Parent's will make their children cross the street to get away from you . . . .

Haha! Trust me, I don't look that intimidating. I'm a small dude, and I never wear a hat, and my coat is always unbuttoned with the sleeves rolled up.

Just my opinion, while trench coats can look sharp, summer is probably the one time of the year that they would look most out of place, outside of rainy or cold weather. I don't think a black trench coat would be very practical either, as it would attract the most heat. Do you own a light tan or beige trench coat too?

I do own a tan trench, but its looks bloody awful on me. Tan coats don't go well with my features, hair color, and clothing. I imagine a dark brown trench would work well, but I've yet to find one that I like.

Here's my opinion on it. A trench coat is the epitome badass, while still having tons of class. So why should this garment be restricted to winter-wear? In the dead of summer, I wouldn't wear one. But spring-early summer? I say go right ahead.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Haha! Trust me, I don't look that intimidating. I'm a small dude, and I never wear a hat, and my coat is always unbuttoned with the sleeves rolled up.

I am not sure being intimidating is why mother's would keep their kids away from grown men in weather-inappropriate trench coats.

Anyway, I don't think that their is a problem with a trench coat in the summer, but a trench coat when it is not raining is just pointless. Also, I really doubt the rolled up sleeves look as good as you think they do. Maybe they do, but I doubt it. Functional clothing, like trench coats, which are for rain, are generally best when performing their intended function.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I think trench coats (especially lighter weight ones) are perfect for when it rains in summer when a heavier overcoat would be uncomfortable. I wear mine all the time on overcast or rainy days all year round. In the sun I think they may look strange though. Colour is really only a matter of personal preference though - plus the heat absorbing factor hardly matters when dealing with a coat which is not intended to be worn in the sun.

A lot also depends on geographical location. In the UK it's not at all uncommon for overcast days in summer to be around 15C in which case a cotton trench coat would be OK. If on the other hand you live in the tropics a trenchcoat will probably be too warm regardless of whether it is raining or not.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Wear what you want when you want. That said, a black trench can look a bit theatrical and costume-like. Do you carry a gun around high schools?

Why not a crisp, mid-grey trench? Less obvious and not as theatrical. I get what you mean about tan. It can look a bit insipid.

Hal

Practically Family
Yeps said:
...I really doubt the rolled up sleeves look as good as you think they do. Maybe they do, but I doubt it. Functional clothing, like trench coats, which are for rain, are generally best when performing their intended function.
avedwards said:
I think trench coats (especially lighter weight ones) are perfect for when it rains in summer when a heavier overcoat would be uncomfortable. I wear mine all the time on overcast or rainy days all year round. In the sun I think they may look strange...A lot also depends on geographical location. In the UK it's not at all uncommon for overcast days in summer to be around 15C in which case a cotton trench coat would be OK. If on the other hand you live in the tropics a trenchcoat will probably be too warm regardless of whether it is raining or not.
Two very sensible comments (from different members) that sum up the argument.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Years ago I bought an off white lightweight rain coat for use in spring and summer. What a waste of money.......

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Years ago I bought an off white lightweight rain coat for use in spring and summer. What a waste of money.......

I found my tan/beige one to be the best £12.99 I ever spent. I've worn it in temperatures as warm as 20C and as cold as -15C. In both extremes it served it's job of protecting me from precipitation.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
What a great way to dodge stupid remarks from obnoxious kids. Or was it obnoxious remarks from stupid kids? Either way... ;)

If only that were the case. From experience I get about 50% more stupid/obnoxious comments when wearing a trenchcoat and hat than just wearing the hat (even though this still draws a lot of stupid/obnoxious comments). I have yet to try wearing just a trenchcoat without a hat to see whether it is the trenchcoat which draws the comments, or the combination of trenchcoat+hat.

I had a brilliant idea today though, as I did my shopping at Aldi (which is usually surrounded by unpleasant youths in the UK) whilst it was raining, in the hope that obnoxious youths would be scared off in case the rain cleans them. This turned out to be rather a successful tactic as I was able to complete my shopping trip without any problems :p.

Derek WC

Banned
Ever seen Casablanca? I'm guessing the Florida Keys get pretty hot, and darn stormy - if your climate calls for it go ahead, but I wouldn't wear one if it's just sprinkling.
Also if there's a liner that you can't take out I'd get one with either no liner or one you can remove.

Hal

Practically Family
Mr Vim said:
Well, the Essential Guide to Classic Men's Clothing states that trench coats are mostly for wet weather.
What is "the Essential Guide"?
Philalethes said:
Perhaps this is a naive question, but is there such a thing as a lightweight topcoat or overcoat that could be worn in warmer weather like a trench coat?...I find the 40s (F) sometimes a little too warm for an overcoat but too cold for a suit jacket/sportscoat alone.
Peacoat has rightly asked why such a coat would be needed in warm weather, but your second sentence (which you wrote after he posted) shows that you are looking for something to be worn in cool rather than cold weather. The conditions you mention are just those in which a trench-coat makes an admirable light overcoat (and just as I am writing, from the UK, the temperature is a bit higher but it's raining, so that's what I'd put on if I went out now). However, there used to be - at least until the 1970s - admirable very lightweight (and usually showerproof) wool topcoats which were comfortable up to around 15C; I understand that they are still made and worn in Italy - it's a pity that they seem to have otherwise disappeared.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I agree: wear what you want when you want to. I wear a 1950's woolen garbedine overcoat as soon as it gets windy and cold. It rarely rains over here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24