Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

BowlofRice

New in Town
YETI-Aren't the heavy wool ones called overcoats? By trenchcoats, I was referring to the gabardine ones used in the rain.
Hal-Thanks, I never knew that! And would you happen to know why trench coats in this period were only beige or khaki? What did 1930's-40's raincoats look like? And about my trench coats, thanks, I wear them all the time. To school, from school, and sometimes when I'm going out.

Hal

Practically Family
YETI said:
When you say trench coat, do you mean the lighter weight gabardine ones worn for rainy weather or the heavy wool worumbo coats more commonly worn for the "freeze your butt off " weather? I do believe the term "trench" referred to the heavy coats worn by soldiers in the trenches during WWI.
The heavy wool coats worn by soldiers in the trenches are greatcoats; trenchcoats are of gabardine - some have been made of wool gabadrine, but they have normally been of cotton.
Bowlof Rice said:
What did 1930's-40's raincoats look like?
They were a little longer than knee-length, fly-fronted, with raglan sleeves. I understand that this style (i.e. this shape)is called "balmacaan" by Americans but the term can refer to a woollen overcoat as well as a raincoat.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I had found the coat I was longing for, the 1930's style beige, knee-length double breasted trench coat I had been dying to find. So I bought it. I also own a gray-green almost ankle length single breasted trench coat, which I bought recently only for its sheer length.

Ok, maybe some of you are getting annoyed at my constant story-telling, I'm sorry for any of you that are. So here are my trench coat questions:
-What colors were trench coats in the 1930's-40's OTHER than beige?

I'm glad you found the trench coat you were looking for. I had exactly the same experience two and a half years ago when I finally found one in a charity shop for a mere £12 when the only menswear shop in my area would have charged £235 for one.

I believe grey, olive, navy and other colours were worn as well, though beige was by far the most common. The reason was that the trench coat started off as a military item and retained most of it's military features (including the colour) when it came into civilian use.

Fifty150

One Too Many
F_52479_1.jpg

This is at Sierra Trading Post for $187.50.

Item #52479
Lauren by Ralph Lauren Double-Breasted Trench Coat (For Men)

Edward

Bartender
Try eBay; I've picked up two or three outstanding trenchcoats for comparatively little. I wouldn't pay the new price for a Burberry myself, but if you can find one your size on the Bay (especially one of the older, all-cotton models), they are a marked step up, IMO. I would also look out for Grenfell - every bit as good as Burberry (if not a little better in my experience), but not a big fashion name in the mainstream, so significantly more affordable used.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Vintage issues of the Burberry 'Trench 21' and the Aquascutum 'Aqua 5', both quality garments in their time ( not sure of current quality), can be found on the bay.

Fifty150

One Too Many

Men's Regular Trench Coat

Item # 40430-3AD3

$ 199.50

* 30% off the highest-priced item in your shopping bag
Includes regular priced items only. Excludes sale and clearance items, gift cards and special services. Savings reflected at checkout. Ends 11:59 p.m. Central Sunday, September 18, 2011.

How to get Free Shipping + 30% off the highest-priced item in your shopping bag:

At checkout‚ manually enter the Promotion Code STUDY and PIN 1372.

Save 30% on highest regular priced item (merchandise only, excludes monogramming, gift boxing, gift cards, shipping, taxes and duties) and receive Free Shipping to U.S. and Canadian addresses on a single order of $50 or more of merchandise. 2-5 business day delivery to most addresses. Applies only to merchandise purchased from landsend.com and Lands’ End consumer catalogs. Excludes Lands’ End Business Outfitters and Lands’ End Canvas purchases. Promotional savings may be deducted from returns. Offer valid through 11:59 p.m. Central, September 18, 2011.

Not valid on previous purchases or when combined with any other promotional offers.

Annixter

Practically Family
This is slightly off from poetman's question, but it falls under the same question and could add to the discussion regarding used trench coats. I haven't been able to find a quality trench coat in my size from local thrift stores or on eBay. Today I found a mint condition Christian Dior double-breasted trench coat w/ removable liner from the 1970s in a consignment store for $175. I know current C.D. trench coats carry a heavy price tag, but I wanted to get opinions on the price of this one. What should we be looking to spend for an older used Burberry, Aquascutum, or Christian Dior trench coat in very good/mint condition? Thanks.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
As I recall, Dior menswear was a middle market license back in the 70s, nowhere in the league with Burberry and Aquascutom.

Annixter

Practically Family
Thanks A.C. Lyles; that is good information I didn't even consider. I curious to hear from other on the quality of the older C.D. coats and what they are worth today. If the coat is still good quality and will hold up for many, many years, it might be worth the money for its great styling, but that will be different if they aren't great quality.

Fifty150

One Too Many
HI all:

I need help with some outerwear. Where can I find a trenchcoat for under $200--prefably new!

Thanks!

LC-Naval Officer's Trench Coat
Item No. 3281

Price: $489 Now: $208

You've seen this coat before, in late-night black-and-white movies with Bill Holden and Trevor Howard. If you grew up in a Navy family, you may recall being awed by its actual presence.

A U.S. Navy officer's trench coat; or, in this case, our respectful copy. Wearing this coat tends to improve your posture and add dash to your step. Men listen more carefully to what you say.

Women pay closer attention too, but for different reasons.

Navy-Style Trench Coat (No. 3281). Wool gabardine, satin-lined.

Authoritative double-breasted style, wide lapels, and epaulettes. Selfbelt with leather buckle. Satin-welted pockets inside, including ticket pocket.

Wear collar up with chin-flap buttoned when exchanging documents on Waterloo Bridge. Imported.

Men's even sizes: 38 through 48.

Color: Midnight Navy.

Annixter

Practically Family
^ Too bad they only have size 42 left. That's an interesting looking trench coat, although I don't know how well it would do in heavy rain, but I guess it's more of an overcoat than a raincoat.

Hal

Practically Family
That's an interesting looking trench coat, although I don't know how well it would do in heavy rain, but I guess it's more of an overcoat than a raincoat.
Perhaps this is another case of a supplier's using incorrect terminology. While some suppliers constantly refer to single-breasted unbelted raincoats as "trench coats", others use the term trench coat for what is normally called a greatcoat, as seems to be the case here.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I have been looking for a Trench Coat like everyone else in this thread....

Mostly by checking Estate Sales and Thrift Stores and occasionally spend a few hours searching the net ()Ebay).......

I had explained to Mrs OG exactly what I was looking for along with showing her pics of Bogart in his Trench Coat.......

Last Thursday Mrs OG came home and told me she thought she had seen a Trench Coat like I was looking for in a Thrift Store and she thought it looked like it just might be my size....

I said I would drive over on Friday and take a look but that day had a lot of things pop up and kind of clobbered me. So I didn't go....

Saturday morning Mrs OG said we should go over and check it out (if it was still there) and then go about our day...

You can imagine my surprise as we walked in and found the coat she had seen still there. The closer I got the better it looked.... First I checked it out all over for any damage etc etc, finding none I check the inside to find the liner was still there and the size tag read my size,, I tried it on and was amazed that it fit just fine......... Everything was there, belt, buckle, buttons , liner etc etc

We spent several minutes really checking this out and It doesn't even look like anyone ever wore it....

I decided to buy it and when I took it to the Cleaners I was asked to make sure the pockets were empty......

In the left pocket was a little sealed plastic bag with matching buttons of all the sizes on the coat... In the right pocket was a couple of little pieces of paper with the Clothing inspectors number on it... I TRULY DON'T THINK THIS WAS EVER WORN :eeek:

Anyway I got it back from the cleaners and today was the first chance I got to get some pics....

Oh yeah, the brand, it is a London Fog...

2lsinmv.jpg

b83exl.jpg

The cost of this coat was $24.99 :D

Mrs OG got dinner out where ever she wanted yesterday.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy