Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Yes - it has been asked before.
And yes - it has something to do with trenches/military/army/WWI.

But in all due respect J - what do you think this whole thread is about?
Why don't you start reading, before asking?

I am pretty sure you'll find the answer to you question - not only once but several times. With pictures!
Yes I get the point, but there are 130 + pages here, Is that the mentality of this forum, To read every post, just in case your question has been covered? Go to the Panama hat thread, there are over 2,200 posts, or the Akubra thread, nearly 400 pages there. Are you honestly going to tell me you would read every post on every page to see if your question has been posted?
I know I am not as much an enthusiast as some are, yes I missed the top post by Paddy and search doesn't always come up with the answer. This is one of two trench coat topics to choose from and I chose it.
I was a bit of an A2 enthusiast at one time, why it's called an A2 still escapes me but I don't have time to trawl the thousands of posts to find out.
All you had to do was post a link.
J Tee

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Aquascutum sold for a "staggering" £15 million to YGM Trading Limited, but then we already knew that. I'm not sure "staggering" is the word to use for that price, but then I'm not in the rag trade so perhaps that's big money. I found this quote particularly interesting: "This is a serious trophy asset for YGM, a phenomenal purchase. With China the next strong buyers of luxury and fashion it is no secret that the Chinese want to have ownership of those brand names." Let's hope they start selling coats again, if for no other reason than to fuel the used/closeout market!

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Yes I get the point, but there are 130 + pages here, Is that the mentality of this forum, To read every post, just in case your question has been covered? Go to the Panama hat thread, there are over 2,200 posts, or the Akubra thread, nearly 400 pages there. Are you honestly going to tell me you would read every post on every page to see if your question has been posted?

Your question is on the very first page of this thread.
An when I joined the forum I read every post in every thread
that I was interested in. I just went thru thread to find your answer.
It's not hard but I enjoy learning. :)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Your question is on the very first page of this thread.
An when I joined the forum I read every post in every thread
that I was interested in. I just went thru thread to find your answer.
It's not hard but I enjoy learning. :)

Haha, funny that, I only read as far as the 4th post, I thought there might have been an introduction to the trench coat in that first post, but it appeared in the 5th post.
So thanks for pointing that out, thats all I asked for, a link of some kind to the information required.:):):)
Johnny T

TM

A-List Customer
Thanks to this very long thread I heard about the Humphrey Bogart films Tokyo Joe and Sirocco. Never heard of them before. Found them both enjoyable - including the trench coats.

Tony

one2rock

New in Town
My size...

I will try to find the time to post more photos for reference and some info on details and cloth blends, which will help you date Aquascutum coats, but below are a few observations I have made based on years of watching eBay offerings. If you post your standard suit size or coat size then I will send you links to coats if I happen to find them.

I prefer the Kingsgate, since it is the only Aquascutum coat I know that has a large square storm flap. My height is 6'1" (185cm) , chest size is 41" (104cm) and my arms are 23" (58.5cm) from the shoulder to the wrist joint. Looking at these numbers and the sizes of my other coats, my size is 42R. However, I have tried a vintage Aquascutum in 44L and this size was great too.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
one2rock said:
Doctor Damage said:
If you post your standard suit size or coat size then I will send you links to coats if I happen to find them.
I prefer the Kingsgate, since it is the only Aquascutum coat I know that has a large square storm flap. My height is 6'1" (185cm) , chest size is 41" (104cm) and my arms are 23" (58.5cm) from the shoulder to the wrist joint. Looking at these numbers and the sizes of my other coats, my size is 42R. However, I have tried a vintage Aquascutum in 44L and this size was great too.
Sounds like we're almost exactly the same size, so I will keep an eye out for 42R or 42L and send links if I notice anything that looks good. These coats come up regularly, but often times they are offered by sellers in the UK who don't seem interested in shipping outside the UK (which is a barrier to me, too). The best way around that is if you have a buddy in the UK who is a member of eBay and who could buy and then re-ship to you. It would also avoid some duties, etc.

Currently there is a made in the UK Kingsgate up on eBay, brand new with tags, in navy blue, 55% cotton cloth. I know you want tan, but navy blue looks good in Aquascutum coats, for some reason. Pricey, even at 40% retail cost, and it appears to have matte black plastic buttons which they used for a while...

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
No problem what so ever to buy stuff from e-bay - especially not within the EU.
As long as the seller is willing to post to Denmark. Which most are. No taxes, customs etc either.
I bought two Aquascutums on e-bay. Piece of cake!

one2rock

New in Town
No problem what so ever to buy stuff from e-bay - especially not within the EU.
As long as the seller is willing to post to Denmark. Which most are. No taxes, customs etc either.
I bought two Aquascutums on e-bay. Piece of cake!

If you decide at some point to replace/dispose of your Aquascutum, please send me an email :)

All the best.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Robert Mitchum in the 1975 version of "Farewell My Lovely." As far as I can determine, this film was never released in widescreen on DVD in North America, although it seems to have been in Europe and elsewhere. Not happy about that, as I'd like to see this film but I really dislike pan-and-scan.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Robert Mitchum in the 1975 version of "Farewell My Lovely." As far as I can determine, this film was never released in widescreen on DVD in North America, although it seems to have been in Europe and elsewhere. Not happy about that, as I'd like to see this film but I really dislike pan-and-scan.

That's one of my favorites, too. You can watch it on Amazon.com for $10

one2rock

New in Town
Looking online at a few vintage trench coats from Burberrys, I have come across colour descriptions such as cream and ivory.

My impresson of the colours are:

Tan - has a warm darker brownish hue
Beige - has a warm but light brownish hue
Khaki - often seems to be confused with olive, but looks like a brownish grey, not as warm as beige and tan
Cream - looks almost white in some light, but I'm not sure about the hue. A slight touch of warm yellow or a hint of grey?

Do vintage Burburreys trench coats exist in lighter shades of each colour, or is the light coloured trench coat always cream?

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
one2rock said:
Looking online at a few vintage trench coats from Burberrys, I have come across colour descriptions such as cream and ivory.

My impresson of the colours are:

Tan - has a warm darker brownish hue
Beige - has a warm but light brownish hue
Khaki - often seems to be confused with olive, but looks like a brownish grey, not as warm as beige and tan
Cream - looks almost white in some light, but I'm not sure about the hue. A slight touch of warm yellow or a hint of grey?

Do vintage Burburreys trench coats exist in lighter shades of each colour, or is the light coloured trench coat always cream?
I think you will sleep easier at night when you realize that terms such as "tan" or "beige" or "cream" are just words that don't have precise meanings or definitions or associated colour codes or pantones, not even when the original brand used them. Go by the photos (unless you are completely colour blind, in which case, send me a few links and I will comment).

Hal

Practically Family
...terms such as "tan" or "beige" or "cream" are just words that don't have precise meanings or definitions or associated colour codes or pantones, not even when the original brand used them.
This is absolutely right - and, what is more, these terms mean different things in different varieties of English.

The Gentleman

New in Town
I don't know much about trench coats myself, but man, am I looking forward to getting one. They're pretty rare although not unheard of around here and I would like to get one before the winter starts, hopefully. Nice to find a topic for them on this forum, I'll read the previous pages to try and find out more about trenches.
By the way, I like those pictures, Doctor Damage. Looking forward to seeing that movie :D.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's an update on Aquascutum, as expected the new owners want to revive the brand with some 300 stores worldwide. Some positive comments from the new ownership: He added that the London store will trigger a roll out of shops across North America in particular. Dally has closed Aquascutum’s North American stores but wants to re-enter with a renewed proposition that will include a stronger focus on design and “Britishness”.

Here's a smart comment on what went wrong: retail analyst Honor Westnedge said Aquascutum faces challenges in its turnaround bid. “Aquascutum had lost touch with customers as it tried to make the product more fashionable like Burberry, but it went too young. It needs to make sure the product is targeted,” she said.

Here's an article on what went wrong: http://www.businessoffashion.com/2012/08/op-ed-what-went-wrong-at-aquascutum.html

m0nk

One Too Many
Has anyone tried the current serviceman trench in black by chance? I just picked one up and it's actually a very classic style. Forgive the bad pic, dirty mirror and all...

trench1.JPG

Yes, it's not quite Rick's being black, but for a modern trench, I like it more than the London Fog "Bogart" style, and it was only $28 at surplus.

I found it here:
http://stores.alleghenywholesale.co...s,-Double-Breasted-w-fdsh-Belt/Categories.bok

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Us army coat all weather mens black

Hello,
I got one in 40R, (DSCP GARRISON made by AMERICAN APPAREL). It's fits true to size. The removable liner is very practical to make it "all weather".
Nice coat in 65/35 Polyester-Cotton blend.
I got it on Ebay for 50 € last year.
The same pattern exist for the USMC in "Putter", which is a sort of khaki/Grey.
Cheers,
Fab

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy