Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
MK said:
Reposted from the old Lounge:

There is a guy I have been corresponding with a guy who used to post as "Hazelton" that has been done a lot of research regarding Bogie's trench coats. I thought you might like to take a gander at one of his e-mails:

Dear MK,

I've now spent innumerable hours combing the net for different variations on keywords to find good solid information on the trench coats worn by Humphrey Bogart in "Casablanca" and "The Big Sleep." I can't seem to find that old site that I visited lo these many moons ago with info on the "Big Sleep" trench coat to save my miserable life (yet).

In perusing the online advertisements for trench coats for sale in our day and age I've noticed that they all have raglan sleeves and 1 "gun flap," the piece of material that extends across the right breast to the armpit and the 2nd or 3rd button in the front. The "Casablanca" coat DOES NOT have raglan sleeves, nor does the one from "The Big Sleep." The sleeves on the movie coats are sewn on after the fashion of a suit coat's sleeves, moreover, the "Casablanca" coat has 2 "gun flaps" (1 on each side). I determined these details from close shots of Bogart in both movies frozen on my computer screen in the inescapable clarity of DVD pause. I also notice that the belts on Bogie's coats have about 4 lengthwise seams, probably to stiffen the structure and keep it from folding over on itself. Most of the trench coats you see these days don't have D-rings on their belts either

2l_airportscene_big_jpg.jpg

MK, I'm late to the party, as usual.....

Let's not forget "Across the Pacific." Looks like only the right shoulder "gun flap." Is it possible that Bogie is wearing the same coat in several different films?

Same actors too, as "The Big Sleep," same film studio. Same wardrobe department?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Lone_Ranger said:
Yes, the military coat will be cut smaller, and unfortunately, the quality of military uniforms isn't what it was in the 40's. Today the service uniform feels like a polyester leisure suit. (gasp) The USMC, and US Army, issue "all weather" coat, as they call it, feels like it was made for Wal-Mart. It actually makes a London Fog seem luxurious.
QUOTE]

And don't forget the USN and USAF equivalents. Actually, the current-issue black, double breasted, belted USA coat is a big improvement over the one I was first issued: a black, poplin-like, button-less, belt-less sackcoat with no gun flaps. The material used now is a bit softer (65% poly-35% cotton), and the stying is definitely superior, but since it is "all weather," you're not going to get the softness of the old green trench coats (one of which I was able to pick up from my Supply NCO when said models were phased out). Yet, I've gotten compliments on both the green and current black Army trench coats. And, yes, when purchasing/being issued one, you sometimes need to go one size up.

Bill Briton

New in Town
Locating a trench-coat

I've looked all over the Internet to find a half-decent trench-coat. The modern ones are all too short and either far too expensive or of questionable quality and the original vintage items are very rare and likewise too pricey for me.
Would anyone know of a site (or shop in Britain) where I can get an affordable, long trench-coat?

Thank you for your time for reading this.

WW1 Trench

I have been corresponding with Jerry at What Price Glory and he is in the process of having a good WW1 trench made,double gun flaps and all.It is coming out in the spring.See what happens.BB.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Mr. H. Johnson-

Yes, surely they are "storm flaps"- unbuttoning, lifting up allowing you to fasten the coat up to the neck, then refasten over the top? It acts to seal the top of the front fastening from rain. A double breasted "Trench Coat" requires two "flaps", one (flap)at each shoulder because the coat can be buttoned "left", or "right".

A single breasted coat would only need one flap, on the fastening side.

Isn't that correct?

Not a sniff of Guns-

B
T

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Indeed, yes. We've been through this before.

There is confusion with gun pads (as on a hunting jacket) which are padded and fixed. Quite why a buttoned, unpadded flap on a coat that clearly has a weather proofing function is associated with firearms (rather than weather) is beyond me.

Most DB coats have one flap (RH for men, LH for women) as they will only be fastened one way. In the case of women, the placement on the LH side proves conclusively that all women are left-handed shots...

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Another French trench...

I recently bought this 1960's trench coat from eBay in England. It is a "Blizzand", 100% "Tergal" (polyester) cloth, a light shade of khaki and labelled, inside, "Armée française imperméable pour officiers".
"Imperméable" does not refer to France being an empire lol , in french it means "waterproof".

064.jpg

The dog is Zappa. Half husky, half St.Bernard.
The hat is a "Bailey's" I've owned since about 1973.

Retro66

New in Town
blacklagoon said:
I have found the real humphrey bogart's casablanca trench coat on the internet a few days ago.the info on the site is very brief,but says it was sold by bonhams auctioneers on may 22nd 2005,for the price of: $10,575.00.
The model shown in the picture,is incredibly threadbare and worn,and only has one gun flap on the right side chest.I think,by what you are all saying,that there is two gun flaps on each front chest,in some scenes of the film,can only mean one thing to me.the film makers had two raincoats made for the film casablanca,each designed differently.I cannot find a way to post a picture of it,so i will post a link to the page,so you can confirm the design of one of the models used in the film.( it seems very obvious to me,that humphrey bogart wore more than one trench coat in casablanca,and they were both completely different designs ).
anyway,i hope i am not ruining this thread by posting a link to the page,as i know how annoying links can be.

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=8732&si=123

I hope this is helpful to everyone in some way.:)

Wouldn't that be nice in one's movie room as a conversation piece....:)

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
I think it is some type of military coat used by motorcycle dispatch riders.

British? French? Have to start checking the surplus stores. I need a raincoat for riding, that isn't the Western style yellow pommel slicker, or the Aussie waxed coat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy