Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

Twp

New in Town
Trench coats

I just got a a new trench coat as all my other ones have gone astray over the years!!! The new one I have is a German officers coat and I believe can still be had for about 25 bucks from out in style dot cm. The belt had fallen out of the box that it came in and I e-mailed them and 2 days later a new one came express mail great customer service!!!! twp;)

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Here is mine - it is a london fog perfect fit I got a little over a year ago, for maybe ten dollars. Not sure how old it is but it's older than the ones they make nowadays across seas.
Picture010.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Perfect marriage...

...of lid and coat!! Looking 'good' there and the London Fogs' (the earlier ones) certainly get a good write up and come in at a decent second hand price;) Great score!! you just 'canny beat' that classic look!! :eusa_clap

PS: Good to see it's a working hat and has been out in the rain!!

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
Yes, actually. Both of them. At least leather-wrapped something, I assume, since they are sturdy and not flexible.
Is this significant? I ask because I have never given it a bit of thought before you asked.

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
Yes.Both my trench coats have leather buckles.My Burberry has a typical Burberry leather buckle,and my Grenfell Trench Coat,has a leather buckle.The Grenfell buckle is pretty similar to the Burberry buckle in shape and design.

brownbanana

New in Town
carebear said:
They look like this.

100_0140.jpg

Carebear, if you don't mind (and I know this must be awhile ago) could you comment on the fit of that usmc trench? I've been on the search for one recently, but it's been darn near impossible to find some basic measurements on these things. I see that it fits great on you from those photos on the classified thread and I'd like it to fit just the same on me. I'd really just like to hear your comments on the fit of the 38L with relation to your body size and if you may let me know if the sleeve lengths are proper, over sized, etc. I hover around the short and regular length, so I can't decide which length to go by. Thanks in advance if you happen to be browsing this thread (Unfortunately no PM function for me [huh] ).

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Blasted belt

Can anyone suggest what to do about the belt on my new London Fog trench coat? The coat itself is wonderful. I love it, even tho I've had to sew on a couple of the buttons already. I've come to expect falling off buttons on brand new garments from even the best brand names. But the belt on this thing is too short to just tie in front, and if you use the holes on the buckle, you have about a foot and a half of belt dangling in front. But still too short to wrap up or tie in any sensible manner. I've fallen back on just stuffing either end into the pockets. (That reminds me, the one feature this doesn't have which I always ecpect in a trench coat is a pass through in the pocket into your trouser pockets.)
Gentlemen: your thoughts?

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dherman,

I do a half hitch after buckling. Not sure how to describe it but tuck the running end (the loose part) under the belt (from the bottom) a few inches past the buckle and then up and over the fixed belt between that few inches and the belt itself so it points downward.

That will burn a few inches or more depending on where you make the loop and keep the free end from just flopping around your knees.

brownbanana,

I think it's 15 posts for PM.

I got bigger in the shoulders in my time in the Corps and the coat was issued at Boot Camp ('91) but it fits fairly easily still over my suit coat shoulders.

I believe it is sized to fit over a 38-42 suit size with some movement and thus still fits over my more 44-46"-ish chest even now. I can feel it bind a bit now when I cross my arms in front. I'd call it good for up to maybe 42" without real problems.

My shirt sleeve length is 35/36 and the coat comes down to the base of my thumb.

brownbanana

New in Town
Much thanks Carebear! :D My scouring of "the internets" is finally over as your sizing info. will pretty much be definitive for helping me narrow down my size. Thanks for the heads up on the PM as well. Seriously speaking though, I think that your post will be the only resource online that even comments on the sizing of these coats as the only other site I've found is the Japanese MASH Co.'s surplus shop which has measurements of a size 36S.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Trench Coat Buckle

Don't ask how, but I managed to break the belt buckle on my trench coat beyond repair. Are there any places (preferably online) where I can order a replacement? The manufacturer no longer makes trench coats so they won't be any help. Alternatively, could I just keep on using it sans buckle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats