Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WineGuy said:
Guys, I've scanned more FL threads and google searches than I can remember, can someone tell me if they've found a vender for a good and accurate reproduction of Bogarts Trench coat as worn in Casablanca or even the Maltese Falcon? I'm surprised how many clothiers promote "Bogey" trench coats that don't even remotely resemble the original.

If it doesn't have the double gun flaps, epaulets, wrist straps and reversed peak collar please don't forward it to me.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Magnoli should be coming out with one soon. We just have a few more kinks to work out.

anon`

One Too Many
avedwards said:
I'm afraid I can't help you, but can correct you. ;) He doesn't wear a trench coat in The Maltese Falcon, but wears a double breasted wool great coat in several scenes.
He does, however, wear a trench in The Big Sleep that happens to be remarkably similar to the more famous specimen from Casablanca.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
anon` said:
He does, however, wear a trench in The Big Sleep that happens to be remarkably similar to the more famous specimen from Casablanca.
Correct, but no double storm vent in that one, which was the Casablanca one's distinguishing feature. I like that coat though as he walks in the pouring rain with it and gets soaked, but when he takes it off his suit is bone dry. Something my cheap second hand trench isn't able to do.

anon`

One Too Many
avedwards said:
Correct, but no double storm vent in that one, which was the Casablanca one's distinguishing feature. I like that coat though as he walks in the pouring rain with it and gets soaked, but when he takes it off his suit is bone dry. Something my cheap second hand trench isn't able to do.
There are a couple of other subtle differences as well, but yeah... that's the big one.

Gotta love those old trench coats. I love mine. Hopefully not to death, though... they're hard enough to find as it is!

jcw122

New in Town
Matt Deckard said:
If you have a good one it keeps the rain out and looks mysterious.

Cigar-vi.jpg

Matt I really hope you don't hold your cigars like that 4 years later!!!! :eusa_doh: It's not a cigarette :(

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Bogart/Casablanca Trench photos?

There WERE a bunch of good stills on the FL, somewhere, a few years back but I can't find them. I was researching this myself a few years back.
This has probably been mentioned before but the Casablanca coat has two storm flaps on the front, a matching, double(if I remember correctly) pointed/ scalloped shoulder yoke at the back and the belt has rows of stitching sewn into it. It also has D-rings at the back of the belt.
The famous trench was widely thought to be an Aquascutum brand coat.

B
T

norton

One of the Regulars
bruce wayne said:

Nice, but the storm flap seems vestigal rather than functional and I don't think that trench coats look right without raglan sleeves. They just don't drape right.

Just an update, now that its fall I've been wearing my new trench from http://www.raincoatsdirect.co.uk/we...051&top_category=10401&top=Y&categoryId=10401

There were some posts in this thread where DragonJade and I critiqued our coats, he had tried to have his customized at the factory and wasn't happy with the results. I was satisfied. The more I wear this coat the more I like it. I can't find those posts anymore.

filfoster

One Too Many
Rain, Man

I've read through this thread and finally decided to settle for a 'gently worn' (hopefully not by a recent fatal swine flu victim) Burberry that has most of the features except the double gun flap ('gun', 'storm'-let's not have a flap over the flaps). It has only one flap, over the right front, and of course the back 'yoke' flap and the requisite straps and leather buckles and "D" rings. Found one in the US for less than $200 and jumped on it. Post, email or PM if anyone ever decides to make these 'screen accurate' from the get-go.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Here are some real trench coats - this is a newspaper image (The Graphic) from 1915. British troops improvising their winter outfits on their way to the front.

GoatskinCoatsWW1.jpg

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Goatskin jerkins?

We really should have a proper WW1 thread, although that might lead to ideological difficulties, that not be 'Golden Era'. Is there one?

filfoster

One Too Many
Jerkin' the jerkins

Creeping Past said:
Goatskin jerkins?

We really should have a proper WW1 thread, although that might lead to ideological difficulties, that not be 'Golden Era'. Is there one?

What Price Glory? still has these jerkins of WWII pattern. Edward Fox's character, Gen. Horrocks in "A Bridge Too Far" is wearing one in some of the scenes.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
filfoster said:
What Price Glory? still has these jerkins of WWII pattern. Edward Fox's character, Gen. Horrocks in "A Bridge Too Far" is wearing one in some of the scenes.

I'm talking about the ones with the fur on, as in the photo^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou