Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tribute to a P-38 warrier

Jabos

A-List Customer
Major Tucker was C.O. of the 402nd F.S. in the 370th F.G., flying P-38s in the 9th Air Force in Europe. His letters home were recently unearthed. I will share an excerpt from a most interesting letter of August 6, 1944 to his wife.

"I had expected to spend a quiet evening, have a shower & write to you and the folks. However, at the last minute I had to fly. I'm glad that I did, too, as I havent had so much fun for many a long day. There is a jerry flak gunner over here that is sharp as a tack, and he came so darn close to getting me last night that it pretty near knocked the enamel off my teeth. I thought sure as hell I was hit for a minute, but Margie III didn't have a hole in her anywhere (except the one I bit in my parachute).

We had amazing luck last night. We caught several trucks and cars, and my flight straffed a jerry armored car. When we left, it looked like a 1920 Studebaker that had stood in a junk yard for 15 years, & was on fire. On the way home I spied a couple of trucks on a road. I took my flight down & we clobbered them, and as I pulled off I saw about 25 jerry armored cars hid along a little lane. We ran a regular old Groton gunnery pattern on them for about ten minutes & what a mess we left behind. Boy is it fun shooting them! I was shooting 100% armor-piercing incendiaries, and you can shoot the guns on these P-38s just like a rifle. You just give them a squirt & they light up & seem to get red hot all over. Pieces fly off like they are made of phonograph records & they just slump down and burn. We sure did a job last night & Margie III got her nose all black from powder smoke. . .

The outhouse on the photo? Well you may well ask. It's from an old story about the swain visiting his girl, who was troubled with gastral disturbances. Anyway, when she was in serious difficulty, she played real loud on the piano. Afterwards, she asked if he had heard the storm scene & he said, "No, but I heard the lightning strike the ----house." It's naughty but it's the vote getter for the best insignia. Naturally it has nothing to do with you."

Major Tucker was shot down by flak and killed four days later.
Tuckercopy2.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
Four - then five - of the last seven flyable P-38s go up California's central valley. @ 2.30, they're chasing a plane - Jap Zero?

[video=youtube;GdzF_i7mPgs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdzF_i7mPgs [/video]

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Best Fighter Ever

I was fortunate enough to see three fly at once. Also got to sit in Lefty Gardner's White Lightning Race 13. If I was rich, a P-38 would be number 1 2 3 on my all time must buy list! I knew a WWII pilot that flew them in combat, he said it was like flying a Cadillac. I am reminded that they do not suffer fools well, Jeff Ethell and Hoof Proudfoot both were killed by P-38s, and both were good pilots! Although, Hoof did a beautiful roll, then decided to do a second and just ran out of altitude, Jeff ran out of fuel on final!

storman113

Familiar Face
Thanks for the great video. The P38's are special to me.

I asked my dad why he wasn't in the service during the war. He said at the start he was exempt due to wife and 2 kids and then later declared exempt as he was a line supervisor on the P38 production line for the entire production run. He said that if the Army had provided a better supercharger for the engine it would have beat out the Mustangs. Don't know if that is accurate or not, but that's his claim. He later was at the Skunk Works for the U2's and SR71's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner