Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trim a Panama?

Matthew

New in Town
I was looking around at some various Panama fedoras,

...And I noticed that it was near impossible to find a low, teardrop Panama fedora that had a brim 2 1/8", 2 1/4", or 2 3/8" inches.

Now, I know this is likely to be the case because a Panama brim <i>should</i> be rather wide due to the utility of the hat blocking the sun - yet as some of you know from my testimony - any fedora I own having a 2 3/8" inch brim or larger looks like a praire/sombrero hat on me, and thus might as well be 4" or greater.

First, are there any (non-custom made) Panama fedoras out there that have lower, teardrop shaped crowns, and have brims that are <2 3/8" inches?

If not, I was wondering if it is possible to <b> trim </b> a Panama hat in the same way a felt fedora could be trimmed. I have no experience with straw hats, and I was thinking that the hat would begin to fray if trimmed.

(sorry if this has been addressed in the past - I could not find any other threads that addressed this topic.

Thanks for the help,

M

Stoney

Practically Family
I don't think it can be easily accomplished. Most Panama hats, That I've owned, have a wire in the brim which you would have to replace after trimmming and then weave a new edge onto the hat to cover the wire.

You might want to ask Art Fawcett, a custom hat maker, his website is posted all over this forum.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Back weave

I am sure some of the Panama experts will chime in but till then i would say no. In the process of weaving a Panama one starts at the center of the crown and finishes off with a back weave on the brim. So triming down would break the weave and a mess of loose straw would begin to unravel.

I think you could have an existing hat reblocked with a higher crown shorting the brim width but that would include replacing the sweatband in the process.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Bound Edge Montecristi Panama Hat

Robert Weber can try to get you hat close to what you are looking for. Here is his link or call him at 260 492 0268

http://www.panamas.biz/

As far as cutting the brim you can do that but you will need to do a bound edge like mine here.

MVC-058F.jpg

MVC-053F.jpg

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
You can cut it down and bind the edge.

You can have it cut and sewn over.

You can order one special, but it will be as close as humanly possible, and probably not exact.

Hope this helps.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Matthew,

As I have mentioned before, we both seem to look for similar traits in hats. Here is one that I am considering purchasing. Keep in mind that it is not nearly the quality of the higher end Panamas, but it is much more realistic for my budget. I was thinking about starting a thread to get some input on this hat when the weather starts to get a bit warmer.

I did notice that it has a cloth sweatband...does anyone know how easily this can be replaced?

http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/page/H/PROD/2078

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Matthew,

I have been checking out Panamabob's website since my last post and am impressed. I saw some great possibilities that I had not seen in the past. All of my hat wearing experience has been with felt, so this is like a new world to me! Take a look at his site.

Summer seems like a long way off, but I'm sure Straw Hat Day will be here before we know it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran