Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trimmed-down Newsboy

Raoul Duke

New in Town
Hi,

Long time lurker; first time poster.

Let me start by thanking you for the lively informed discussion. It's helped me greatly with more than a few purchases.

It's entirely possible my question has been addressed in another thread. If so, my humblest apologies. I've attempted to read through every thread relating to newsboy caps, but there's such a wealth of information available, I've no doubt missed something.

I'm the proud owner of a couple of Hanna Newsboy caps. While I like them and am greatly impressed by the quality of their construction, I find them a little big for my tastes—even though they are smaller than the 8-panel version Hanna also sells. I think it's the material that protrudes from the sides that doesn't suit my face shape. What I'm looking for is a cap that generally follows the line of my head at the sides but still has a nice amount of material at the front. I think what I'm getting at is: I like the material to be on top and to the front rather than to the side. I hope my ramblings make some sense.

I've seen the medium and deep versions offered by Hat People, but, while they are indeed fitted at the sides, they don't seem to have much material on top and at the front.

If anyone has any suggestions of brands/makers, I would love to hear them.

Many thanks,

Anthony

RJR

My best suggestion is to phone both Hat People and Brett @ B!Wear describing what you want.The other option is any one of the custom makers here on the Lounge.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Here's one of the custom cap makers and one of his caps.
logo1.jpg
_MD01721.jpg
_MD01718.jpg
_MD01717.jpg

Raoul Duke

New in Town
Thank you both very much for taking the time to reply.

Those are great suggestions; I'll be sure to mail Hat People and B! Wear to see what they're able to do.

Will look into custom makers as well. That Monsivais one looks amazing. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!

Colt3840

New in Town
I also felt the same with my Hanna cap. So doing some research here I found B!wear and have not looked back after 3 purchase. Brett is great and will give you what you want. I also need to mention I did purchase from a member here an extra full cut from Hat People but feel the full cut may be better to my liking which i plan to try in the near future. I have included pics of all three for comparison in the following order top (L) Hanna, (R) B!wear (Rocky Cut) in Caramel Tan and (B) Hat People for what its worth. Please excuse the model!

20151201_180428.jpg B!Wear Cap.jpg
IMG_0821.JPG

RJR

I also felt the same with my Hanna cap. So doing some research here I found B!wear and have not looked back after 3 purchase. Brett is great and will give you what you want. I also need to mention I did purchase from a member here an extra full cut from Hat People but feel the full cut may be better to my liking which i plan to try in the near future. I have included pics of all three for comparison in the following order top (L) Hanna, (R) B!wear (Rocky Cut) in Caramel Tan and (B) Hat People for what its worth. Please excuse the model!

View attachment 45888 View attachment 45889
View attachment 45890
The interesting thing is that they all look good on you.

Raoul Duke

New in Town
I agree that they all suit you. I would say, however, that my preference lies with the B! Wear–it doesn't extend as far to the sides as the others.

What exactly is the "Rocky" cut?

RJR

I agree that they all suit you. I would say, however, that my preference lies with the B! Wear–it doesn't extend as far to the sides as the others.

Chack out the B!Wear website;you can view the various cuts Brett does.

Raoul Duke

New in Town
I'll do just that. Thanks.

I must say that I'm quite taken with the Monsivais "Logan" cap. Are there any other custom makers I should be checking out–ones with models that don't protrude too far to the sides?

RJR

It has been my experience that the custom makers will work closely with you to get the look you want.Brett & Hat People are in that grouping as are the other custom makers here on the Lounge.I'll miss someone but you can't go wrong with:Barry Simonds,Johnaton Cordova,Damian Monsivais,Keith LoBue(Well Dressed Head).

Colt3840

New in Town

It a bit fuller from what Brett tells me. I was so happy with his caps I bought 3 in a period of 4 weeks. I am awaiting a few more sample swatches this week as I am in the mood for another with all this talk. LOL!

Raoul Duke

New in Town
RJR, thank you for the list of custom makers. Being able to talk through the process with them is very appealing.

Colt3840, please keep us posted on what you go for next with Brett.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff