Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trip to Egypt in April 2008 - Felt or straw?

mineral

One of the Regulars
Kaleponi Craig said:
But on TV there is often this Egyptian archeologist, Dr. Sarwa or something like that, who is always wearing a fur felt.

You mean, Dr. Zahi Hawass? He apparently wears a leather hat, as reported by the Associated Press :p

"Egypt's top archaeologist sells trademark hats for charity
The Associated Press
Published: October 31, 2007

CAIRO, Egypt: Egypt's top archaeologist has made about US$500,000 (€348,000) for a children's charity by selling copies of his trademark leather hat during a recent King Tut tour, he said Wednesday.

Zahi Hawass, the country's top antiquities official, said that the replicas of his trademark Indiana Jones hat were sold for US$45 (€31) each during the two-year tour that wrapped up this fall.

The brown suede hat carries Hawass' picture and signature.

Hawass will be donating the money for the construction of Egypt's and the Middle East's first children's museum. Hawass has been the antiquities council chief for the past five years."

Flieger

Practically Family
Kaleponi Craig said:
Forget about taking both, traveling light is the first rule of travel. You must decide on which one you want to take. And how in the world are you going to pack the second hat?

About 25 years ago I was in Egypt in April. I have never been so hot in my life. I would normally say, take a straw.

But on TV there is often this Egyptian archeologist, Dr. Sarwa or something like that, who is always wearing a fur felt. Plus, Josh Bernstein of Digging for the Truth always travels in his 100% beaver fur felt in some of the hottest counties. I myself went to Palenque in southern Mexico last June, where it was hot AND humid. I wore my Indy Adventurebilt. I must say, it was bloody uncomfortable.

I would say this. A fur felt will be a lot more durable. If you are going on an adventure trip, climbing pyramids, digging around through tombs and temples, really getting yourself dirty, then take a fur felt. If you are hanging out at the hotel, sipping martinis, or sitting on the deck of a boat sailing the Nile, then take a straw. It just depends on what kind of a trip you are taking.

I'm going to Bali next month and I am taking my Panama. But it is hot AND humid there, so forget a fur felt. But Egypt is a dry heat, so not so bad.

One last thing. I think, in Egypt especially, a fur felt will look a lot cooler. You will look like an adventurer, like Indiana Jones or Sir Richard Burton. With a straw you will look like a rich English tourist...KC ;)

Thank you KC! I agree on traveling light and I don't want to look like a rich tourist of any nationality. It looks like I'll be bringing an Akubra beater to the party - Maybe a rolled up straw in a whisky tube just to have an option.

Have a great trip to Bali! That's one of the places I plan to visit someday.

Cheers
/F

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Egypt when Hot

mineral said:
I was there in June. 45 deg C. I still wonder how I managed to get through the day at the Valley of the Kings and the Temple of Hepshepshut and then the Temple of Ramses III. Everytime I got a deal to get a liter of Coca-Cola for 10 Egyptian pounds I paid without question.

Ah, good memories.

I went there with my Mum in 1981. We paid one EGY pound for everything, water , fan, ... you name it.

We ended up taking a shower in all our clothes and then lying down in front of the fan. Very effective but in like one hour you were bone dry...bizarre heat!

Topper

Vendor
Recommend take 2 hats, Hopefylly off to Egypt myself next year and taking:

1) "Bombay" style Pith Helmet
2) "Optimo" style folding Panama

Flieger

Practically Family
Topper said:
Recommend take 2 hats, Hopefylly off to Egypt myself next year and taking:

1) "Bombay" style Pith Helmet
2) "Optimo" style folding Panama

Had I been staying in Egypt for more then a week, I'd might consider bringing a Pith helmet myself. As it stands now... 1 hat maximum.... I think... maybe... nah...

/F

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
Folding Panama a great idea...

Yes, if you can fold the Panama in the suitcase, by all means take the two hats. But most high quality Panamas don't fold like that. If it's really, really hot, you'll want the straw. And an old beater straw would look rather cool, as opposed to a gorgeous new fino Panama.

You'll love Egypt, it is an amazing place. Last time I was there, in 1980, Americans were heroes, thanks to Jimmy Carter and the Israel/Egypt peace accords. I hope we are as welcome nowadays, but somehow I doubt it...KC

Flieger

Practically Family
Kaleponi Craig said:
Yes, if you can fold the Panama in the suitcase, by all means take the two hats. But most high quality Panamas don't fold like that. If it's really, really hot, you'll want the straw. And an old beater straw would look rather cool, as opposed to a gorgeous new fino Panama.

You'll love Egypt, it is an amazing place. Last time I was there, in 1980, Americans were heroes, thanks to Jimmy Carter and the Israel/Egypt peace accords. I hope we are as welcome nowadays, but somehow I doubt it...KC

Thank you, Craig! Since I spend most my time in the northern parts of Sweden I can't really justify buying myself a high-end Panama. We simply don't have enough warm days for a hat like that. Therefore I'm quite happy with a cheeper Cuenca that WILL fold. :)

I'm really looking forward to the trip and even if I know tourism will have taken over much of the country, there are many sites to see that are worth the hassle.

Regards
/F

Aerol

A-List Customer
A third option

You might want to consider a Tilley hat. They're indestructible, pack flat, keep the sun far from your skin, and have the necessary wind straps. Mine's over 10 years old and has been wonderful (even if rustic). The newer ones are more stylish.

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
Flieger said:
I'm really looking forward to the trip and even if I know tourism will have taken over much of the country, there are many sites to see that are worth the hassle.

Regards
/F

Flieger, You know, it was Harrison Ford who said that anyone that wears a fedora and a leather jacket in the jungle is crazy!

Yes, Egypt is one of those places everyone should see before they die; like Machu Picchu, the Great Wall, the Taj Mahal, Angkor. The Pyramids are unbelievable and so are many of the other monuments. Where all are you going? If you can get down to Abu Simbel, that is an amazing place. And just doing stuff like walking through the markets puts you in another world for sure...KC

eightbore

Suspended
Take the straw!

Harrison Ford was right. As someone who has spent more than a bit of time in the region I can say that (as a westerner) I would NEVER wear a felt hat anywhere near Luxor or Aswan in any month before November or after February. This may sound odd but Hawass perceives heat differently as a local and I wouldn't follow his lead unless you want to sweat like mad. Of course the opposite is put into evidence every winter when local mothers bundle up their kids when temperatures dip to 70 degrees farenheit. I've literally seen snow suits and gloves on toddlers in a Cairo January. In Luxor and Aswan in April, you might be OK if the weather is "normal" or slightly warmer than normal....but things rarely go as planned in Egypt. I would not expect "normal" weather. As for being welcomed there, you will definitely find that the vast majority of Egyptians are VERY good at separating the ideology put forth by a country's or region's leadership and the ideology of the citizenry. Too bad not all nationalities can claim this.

Best,

eightbore

eightbore

Suspended
Kaleponi Craig said:
Last time I was there, in 1980, Americans were heroes, thanks to Jimmy Carter and the Israel/Egypt peace accords.

edited:

Nevermind....I don't want to get the bartender's underwear in a wad over this.

stevechasmar

New in Town
I visted Cairo and saw the ruins upcountry via a Nile cruise in 2002, and a straw was certainly the thing to have. Even though the heat is very dry (think Las Vegas or Palm Springs) and the sweat tends to evaporate rather quickly, I think things would heat up in a hurry under a felt lid.

If you have time for a Nile cruise, check out the Philae, a cruise ship run by the Indian hotel company Oberoi. It goes way above and beyond the other cruise companies, and I was able to get a great discount by booking it in Cairo -- due to tourism being very much down in the wake of 9/11.

As for Egyptian attitudes to Americans, I found they were exceedingly friendly, and had a great sense of humor. All in all the week I spent in Egypt was one of the most memorable trips I have ever taken. Good luck!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Just a suggestion

Mike, Stratton makes some straw campaign hats that may be applicable. You might want to take a look under Stratton Hats on OFAS.

Flieger

Practically Family
Tilley Fedora

Aerol said:
You might want to consider a Tilley hat. They're indestructible, pack flat, keep the sun far from your skin, and have the necessary wind straps. Mine's over 10 years old and has been wonderful (even if rustic). The newer ones are more stylish.

Sorry for kicking this topic up again but I did some thinking over the holidays and came up with a question regarding Tilley hats - I'm sure they are practical in every sense but i just don't like the look of the crown shape on the traditional Tilley's... The only one I could imagine on my noggin is the Tilley Fedora, but that one looks like a winter hat. Is it? [huh] I couldn't find any clear info on the Tilley site *scratches his head*.

/F

RBH

Bartender
Flieger, check out OFAS I recently saw a couple of foldable panmas [fedora style-center dent] that were not too expensive. I would think that after being in the suitcase and then re-creasing, it would then have a well travelled feel to it.
I am planning to wear my felt fedora and pack a panama that I have, on my trip to Texas this weekend. I have been folding it and packing it and it is none the worse for wear [looks]. In fact if anything it looks better.

Flieger

Practically Family
RBH said:
Flieger, check out OFAS I recently saw a couple of foldable panmas [fedora style-center dent] that were not too expensive...

Thanks RBH, I'm not a OFAS-shopper but I've been in contact with Robert (Panamabob) about getting myself a Optimo-style beater for traveling purposes. Let's see what comes of that. :)

I have decided to take one Panama and one felt hat on my trip to Egypt. The heat be damned! (Looking cool: +3 points - Being stupid: -3 points [huh] ) I look upon this as an experiment - Field-testing. :D

/F

RBH

Bartender
Flieger said:
Thanks RBH, I'm not a OFAS-shopper but I've been in contact with Robert (Panamabob) about getting myself a Optimo-style beater for traveling purposes. Let's see what comes of that. :)

I have decided to take one Panama and one felt hat on my trip to Egypt. The heat be damned! (Looking cool: +3 points - Being stupid: -3 points [huh] ) I look upon this as an experiment - Field-testing. :D

/F
You can not go wrong with Robert!!!! He is fantastic to deal with.
I just suggested eBay as a rather quick way to get one.
You have time so Robert should have no problem getting you a really great hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran