Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tropical suiting question

Agent Black

New in Town
I thought I'd post this today, seen as it is Good Friday. I've always admired this jacket that Bob Hoskins wears in "The Long Good Friday" but never found one like it. Last year I had a suit made at a tailors for the first time. Although I wasn't going for a smart/ casual jacket like this I did look through all their cloth books to see if they had anything like this, thinking that if they did I'd have a jacket made up with it too. Has anyone come across anything like it, either as the material or a finished jacket?
NB I think his character was dressed to suggest that he was a bit of a flash know-all but I think it's aged really well.
the-long-good-friday-bob-hoskins-768x539-c-default.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Bright pastel blazers like that with stripes were a thing in the early 1980's - obviously derived from a more classic era. Often a cotton blend. Hoskins' jacket looks like a summer weight flannel, maybe wool. Seersucker jackets in 100% cotton generally have a slightly puckered, less structured look to them and also come in checks. They were also big in the 1980's.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In about a year I will be transplanting myself to Hawaii. I am oddly looking forward to being the oddball wearing linen suits where everyone else is wearing shorts and tee shirts. Will I survive?

Agent Black

New in Town
Thanks gentlemen, in the still I agree it looks like a flannel or other conventional suiting, it looks slightly nubby almost suggestive of a wool-cashmere blend. On the DVD though it looks puckered like a seer sucker though, so what gives! I think on balance it isn't likely to be seersucker, Easters in England are usually pretty cold and Easter 1979 (The year of filming and presented the year it is meant to be set) was early April plus he's on a boat on the Thames.

Agent Black

New in Town
PSX_20201004_235522.jpg
PSX_20201004_235344.jpg
Finally got one in a charity shop. It's FCUK, cotton, wool,polyester blend. Sleeves need taking up and it needs a famn good press but mission accomplished.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21