Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trouble Connecting to the Lounge?

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I can't connect during the day or night. Knowing that the lounge is there and I'm not able to access it is more frustrating than just knowing that it's down altogether.

Here's to hoping that the issues are resolved quickly.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Those of you still having problems that know how to modify your DNS settings on your computer, try using this IP address as your DNS.

The likely problem is probably related to some folks' ISPs not updating their DNSs fast enough. MissNeecerie explained it in layman's terms over in the thread regarding the move. Changing it to 4.2.2.1 may potentially fix the problem, if you're familiar enough with your networking settings to change it. If not, it will probably just take some time for the new server's IP address to propagate to your ISP's DNS. Sorry for all the acronyms.

GWD

One Too Many
I don't understand why the problem is so inconsistent, obviously I'm logged in now, so what changes later on this evening?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Again, a little difficult to explain.

Domain Name Servers (DNS) "talk" to each other several times daily (often more than that), spreading around domain names (i.e. www.thefedoralounge.com) and their corresponding IP addresses (i.e. 123.456.789). Your particular DNS may be "hearing" from other DNSs that the old address is still the "good" one, leading you to suffer intermittent outages. DNS are always updating, and may sometimes get bad information until the good address has fully propagated around the internet.

You'll just have to give it some time. If it's still doing it by Wed/Thursday, then you probably need to see about changing your DNS to the one I listed above, or contact your ISP to see why their DNS won't resolve to the proper IP.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Zohar said:
You'll just have to give it some time. If it's still doing it by Wed/Thursday, then you probably need to see about changing your DNS to the one I listed above, or contact your ISP to see why their DNS won't resolve to the proper IP.

Ummm... I hate to be a, well, you know... but if many people are having this problem all over the country, maybe even the world, by Wed/Thrs, I would say that it's not us (the browsers) that have a problem to fix. Even if we CAN fix it on our end, something is clearly wrong elsewhere. Either you're pulling our leg, or somebody is pulling yours. Because you're basically saying, if the car doesn't start, jump start it and everything will be fine.

shortbow

Practically Family
I have only been able to get on twice in the last several days. If it takes some kind of cyber-genius to fix the problem, then I for one am hooped.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Not-Bogart13 said:
Ummm... I hate to be a, well, you know... but if many people are having this problem all over the country, maybe even the world, by Wed/Thrs, I would say that it's not us (the browsers) that have a problem to fix. Even if we CAN fix it on our end, something is clearly wrong elsewhere. Either you're pulling our leg, or somebody is pulling yours. Because you're basically saying, if the car doesn't start, jump start it and everything will be fine.

^ that

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Not-Bogart13 said:

I have been unable to replicate the problem on my own. I've been on the lounge every single day and night since it's been back up without any problems, so a DNS issue it more than likely the problem. The next time you or anybody else is having problems getting to the site please shoot an email to zohar @ thefedoralounge.com (please add this to your address book ahead of time in case you can't get to the Lounge later) with the date, time, and nature of the error message, and We'll see if we can diagnose further. Also, those of you that are attempting to ping by using the domain name please send me the IP address that your computer says it is. Ideally, a copy of the tracert would be great.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
THANKS ZOHAR!!!

Zohar said:
I have been unable to replicate the problem on my own. I've been on the lounge every single day and night since it's been back up without any problems, so a DNS issue it more than likely the problem. The next time you or anybody else is having problems getting to the site please shoot an email to zohar @ thefedoralounge.com (please add this to your address book ahead of time in case you can't get to the Lounge later) with the date, time, and nature of the error message, and We'll see if we can diagnose further. Also, those of you that are attempting to ping by using the domain name please send me the IP address that your computer says it is. Ideally, a copy of the tracert would be great.

OK, I will try it out. I'll email you if it persists.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
An analogy

Zohar said:
Those of you still having problems that know how to modify your DNS settings on your computer, try using this IP address as your DNS.

The likely problem is probably related to some folks' ISPs not updating their DNSs fast enough. MissNeecerie explained it in layman's terms over in the thread regarding the move. Changing it to 4.2.2.1 may potentially fix the problem, if you're familiar enough with your networking settings to change it. If not, it will probably just take some time for the new server's IP address to propagate to your ISP's DNS. Sorry for all the acronyms.
The numerical address is in reverse of a physical address...Universe, Solar System, Earth, United States, California...
So if the computer is trying to reach a server that has moved away from Earth to Mars, it comes back "return to sender" at that point...
So you have to tell your computer to look on Mars.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Miss 1929 said:
The numerical address is in reverse of a physical address...Universe, Solar System, Earth, United States, California...
So if the computer is trying to reach a server that has moved away from Earth to Mars, it comes back "return to sender" at that point...
So you have to tell your computer to look on Mars.

That's pretty much it. Add to that the fact that there are multiple "postal workers" who keep track of who lives where. Your mail carrier may not have heard from the others that the server is now on Mars. In a sense, by switching your DNS, you're bypassing your ISP's mail carrier for another, better informed mail carrier, until your own mail carrier gets the memo, as it were.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
This is why I use UPS.

I can send whatever I want, I always know where it is, and I know that it's going to get where I want it to go. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran