Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trying to date this an see if it's probably Horsehide...

Bluechel

Practically Family
Picked up this size 38 BECK because I wanted to have a closer look. It sports Conmar sleeve zippers and a slightly unusual Talon zipper (the line breaks on either side of the word "Talon"). Hoping it's my first horsehide (since the 1970's anyway). This is a pretty "common" jacket but the shape it's in is a bit baffling to me because of the age I'm speculating it is. Thoughts?
IMG_5575.JPG
IMG_5577.JPG
IMG_5580.JPG
IMG_5587.JPG
IMG_5582.JPG
IMG_5591.JPG
IMG_5588.JPG

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Looks just like the Schott 125...
Not a fan of the tail and the single rear belt loop but it looks to be in great condition.
No idea if these where HH or Cow.

Bluechel

Practically Family
Not a fan of the tail and the single rear belt loop but it looks to be in great condition.
You're certainly on the right path with the Schott reference as I have read that Schott made some (most?) of their jackets, but this one is stitched differently and the leather is different, and the zippers appear to be much earlier than most Schott stuff. (I own a 1970 Perfecto and this appears earlier for sure IMHO)

Bluechel

Practically Family
From what I can find searching all over the internet, this could (possibly) be pre-1960's....no idea yet but I'll get there if no one here has that niche info.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Correct. They made them for Beck and under their own label. this one is a 50s model, which you can tell by the diamond zip pulls and the finished edges where the laces are.

On the 60s models, those edges are unfinished and the pocket zip pulls are the more familiar rings. (I just took off a 60s one.)

The leather they used on Beck/Schott equivalent models is identical.

Bluechel

Practically Family
I'm in awe of the condition of this one then, thanks for the info. Really interesting! No horsehide for me yet though damn........

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm in awe of the condition of this one then, thanks for the info. Really interesting! No horsehide for me yet though damn........

The horsehide mystique is pure marketing. Horse was used through the 40s because it was abundant. Cow was considered comparable at the time, goat a premium alternative.

By the 50s and 60s it was largely displaced by [EDIT: not cod!] cow because agriculture was not as horse driven.

This meant that when repro companies, initially Aero, came on the scene, their use of horse had an exotic appeal. But mostly it’s just a novelty. When they’re tanned the same way, it takes a DNA to tell them apart. (Gary Eastman did this on some A-2s, to shock of many who were convinced they had only ever been made of horse and goat.)

Last edited:
The horsehide mystique is pure marketing. Horse was used through the 40s because it was abundant. Cow was considered comparable at the time, goat a premium alternative.

By the 50s and 60s it was largely displaced by cod because agriculture was not as horse driven.

This meant that when repro companies, initially Aero, came on the scene, their use of horse had an exotic appeal. But mostly it’s just a novelty. When they’re tanned the same way, it takes a DNA to tell them apart. (Gary Eastman did this on some A-2s, to shock of many who were convinced they had only ever been made of horse and goat.)
This is so true and I’d dare some of the cow from the 50’s is nicer than the horse that came before it. These two cowhide 50’s-60’s jackets had sublime hide qualities.
80A085ED-4CB6-4D95-BCE1-A016EE604397.jpeg
C9EC5A49-22ED-4EC9-B0AE-C70AF0C922E0.jpeg
8429B129-7B68-400E-9834-A1AC6BA61B2E.jpeg
8BA5C73F-4575-488D-B8ED-07D04602EB7D.jpeg

Both these are now with our man (men) in Amsterdam. The Windward biker jacket had a really impressive hide.

Bluechel

Practically Family
Is there a "trading" area here on TFL? Sizing is always my issue and there's no way a 38 will fit me...ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24