Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trying to decided between a G1 jacket and a 33 halfbelt

crispyfresh

New in Town
I'm having a hard time trying to decide between a military spec G1 offered by Cockpit U.S.A. and a 33 half belt being offered by Simon Cathcart. I'm not looking for anything outside the price range being offered here, both being around $600 with tax. The main thing I'm looking for is a jacket that can REPLACE a sport jacket. I want a leather jacket that can be dressed up with a Fedora, shirt and tie. I also want the jacket to be able to be worn casually. I love vintage 1930s and 1940s looks, so I've kind of leaned toward that spear pointed collar of the 33 halfbelt by SJC. I also like how the G1 can look good both casually and dressed up. Its just a hard decision. I don't wanna spend for both. Any suggestions to help my decision will be appreciated. Thanks.

1653486783655.png

1653486800978.png

crispyfresh

New in Town
G1 looks more military (because it is)/law enforcement, while the half-belt looks more civilian.
Thats true but I have seen both of them dressed up like I want and they both looked good. Its gonna come down to whether the G1 looks good with a high crown fedora, which is how I want to wear it. I know the halfbelt does. The G1 dresses down better. The halfbelt appears to dress up better. Thats the concondrum I have. I might have to splurge and get both, lol.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
As mentioned, half belt dresses up better. Not that the G1 can't, but this is a question of greater/less than, in which case half belt dresses up better.

The fabric portions and patchy nature of the G1 is what keeps it more casual for me. But it's all about your vibe, if you got that grizzled, I'm going to show up to this event on one of my panheads because I ain't got no cages in my garage sorta vibe, then yeah absolutely.

Two totally different flavors. I'd say get both. The halfbelt is more stylish and sophsticated in my opinion. It's also far more flattering in terms of design. But if you have the itch for a military jacket, the HB won't scratch it.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
A nice fitting goat skin G-1 flight jacket is a value garment in my book. Friend, Truly I do not understand how a jacket with a patch depicting a character throwing bomb is considered "dressing up" By all means a plain G-1 can and will look good "dressing up"

In my view, it is easier for a half belt to dress up or down.

One of the most versatile jackets is the G-1 type. I have many and I do like them. My favorite is a custom-made m-442a Flight suits made with a very 40s period looking Indian goat skin. I ride in it, and it is a "safe" choice for most occasions.

As trends go, the new Maverick movie is out, and I believe there will be a strong G-1 sales. To me this means prices will get higher.

crispyfresh

New in Town
After reading the replies, and they are very good, combined with what I'm looking for, I'm leaning toward the half belt. I can always double back and get the G1 by eliminating some other purchases I'm debating. I want another wax jacket from Barbour, lol. That might be on the chopping block to accomadate getting two leather jackets. Either way it goes, I'm going with the half belt as the first purchase.

The halfbelt is a obvious choice for dressing up. The surprise is how good the G1 does dress as well. As I stated in my initial post, I'm trying to replace wearing a sport coat. When you get into sport coats, you have to have several of them and you have to match your outfit. Leather jackets that can be dressed up are a very good way of getting around that problem. In the summer, I've gotten away from sport coats. I do play with waistcoats in the summer. My problem was the winter.

crispyfresh

New in Town
One more thing, while over at the Cockpit U.S.A. website, I ran across a military jacket that combines elements of both the halfbelt and the G1. It has a vintage straight collar, though not spear point, its very close, and the chest pockets of the G1. Its a interesting combination that obviously can be dressed up or down:

1653501152740.png

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I don't think you can dress up a G1, to me it's top gun and that's it...
The half belt on the other hand is really nice.
I have the blue wool version of that jacket and it is really well cut, it feels great worn. Construction is nice, but i found the leather accents on mine to be pretty average leather. This all leather version looks like nicer hide.
The only thing i don't like is the oversized chest zipper pull, it looks off to me.

crispyfresh

New in Town
I don't think you can dress up a G1, to me it's top gun and that's it...
The half belt on the other hand is really nice.
I have the blue wool version of that jacket and it is really well cut, it feels great worn. Construction is nice, but i found the leather accents on mine to be pretty average leather. This all leather version looks like nicer hide.
The only thing i don't like is the oversized chest zipper pull, it looks off to me.
The zipper pull with the loop does look very different when compared to a ball chain pull. It is vintage correct though.

It is longer than the vintage ones, but you can shorten it.
You might want to save up and try something like this Thedi one day:

Last edited:

crispyfresh

New in Town
The VERY day I post the SJC jacket after checking almost daily for the last4 months or so, my size disappears, lol. Which one of you bounced on my jacket? lol

Brandrea33

One Too Many
After reading the replies, and they are very good, combined with what I'm looking for, I'm leaning toward the half belt. I can always double back and get the G1 by eliminating some other purchases I'm debating. I want another wax jacket from Barbour, lol. That might be on the chopping block to accomadate getting two leather jackets. Either way it goes, I'm going with the half belt as the first purchase.

The halfbelt is a obvious choice for dressing up. The surprise is how good the G1 does dress as well. As I stated in my initial post, I'm trying to replace wearing a sport coat. When you get into sport coats, you have to have several of them and you have to match your outfit. Leather jackets that can be dressed up are a very good way of getting around that problem. In the summer, I've gotten away from sport coats. I do play with waistcoats in the summer. My problem was the winter.
Congratulations in advance. I think you made a wise decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21