Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tucked or un tucked

macca

New in Town
Gday all. i read a article recently about how to wear ones shirts with different type jackets, with leather jackets the guide was for A2,aviation.military Indy type etc to tuck the shirt in ,including Tshirts as long as you had a correct belt type??, with motorcycle type jackets it was leave them untucked(is this because of the rebel perception MC jackets have with some?). I wear a A2,caferacer, Indy type jackets and dont tuck the shirts in even the fitted ones..i suppose its like black verses brown , whatever floats your boat .. cheers..macca..

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have not tucked a shirt or t-shirt in (except at a function or two) for 25 years. I tend to wear black shirts with black or dark blue pants/jeans so it doesn't matter. the problem with short leather jackets is that they can look pretty bad (even too short) when your shirt sticks out more than 2 inches.

For some, it's "the style". I don't do it with a jacket, but I do without at times.
I even tuck in T-shirts with short jackets. Just me.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
the problem with short leather jackets is that they can look pretty bad (even too short) when your shirt sticks out more than 2 inches.
I agree. One could probably apply a 2" rule to any length of jacket

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
Depends on the function.
But one rule I live by is never to have a shirt extend past my jacket, sleeves or body, leather or cloth.

I'm with you on that. If I have an A-2 on, I'll most likely tuck. With a longer coat, I may leave it untucked. Pretty much have to CCW with a longer coat and untucked shirt if you'll be taking your coat off.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Full Moon

There is a more practical reason to tuck your shirt in on a motorcycle, [especially with low handlebars], so you wont moon every one you pass!

Peacoat

Bartender
I grew up wearing my shirts tucked. Find it difficult to change now, even though it is the current fashion. I might occasionally leave my Tshirt untucked if wearing jeans and no belt, but would never do so with a short leather jacket. For me it is just an unfinished look.

Cooperson

One Too Many
I grew up wearing my shirts tucked. Find it difficult to change now, even though it is the current fashion. I might occasionally leave my Tshirt untucked if wearing jeans and no belt, but would never do so with a short leather jacket. For me it is just an unfinished look.

Have to agree with Mr Peacoat, seeing a short leather jacket with a shirt hanging out the back just doesn't suit my eye - I'm probably just old fashioned :)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
There is a more practical reason to tuck your shirt in on a motorcycle, [especially with low handlebars], so you wont moon every one you pass!

Yes, and I have found in over 30 years of riding that a tucked in shirt keeps me warmer. When I rode, it was all year. The last thing I needed was my shirt trying to blow up my back, leaving it exposed to the elements. So if I had a motorcycle jacket on, the shirt was tucked in.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I would tuck everything if i could, but it doesnt work here. It would be seen as retarded. (no offense to retarded people)

I have a problem that almost all shirts are too long and way longer then the 2" "rule" and i dont understand the makers, why should a t-shirt go all the way down to the croutch? Through the years I only had a small amount of t-shirts that ended exactly where I wanted. They look better both with and without a jacket.

The only thing i do tuck nowdays is the shirt shirts that have kinda like a rounded bottom, they have to be tucked IMO and my young gf agree (even tho she is against all tucking whatsoever)

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
I'm all for the tucking in. An un-tucked shirt is what badly dressed lads wear on a night into town and they are usually a bad fit too. I will sometimes wear a shirt un-tucked if it is short enough (usually short sleeved). I don't tuck t-shirts/vests.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
shirts are designed to be tucked in ,the only reason i can see NOT to tuck is the tummy problem for gentlemen of a certain size.

Heck, I resemble that remark and I still tuck most shirts in. I think that there should be a rule, whatever piece of clothing is on the outside should be the longest. I was wearing sweat pants and a t-shirt around the house, but when I left with a hoodie on, I had to tuck in the t-shirt.

I gave my 24 year old son, my father's WW2 style reproduction A-2. It fits, but is very snug. His shirt and belt came out just below it and he wasn't sagging. He wears his pants low, but he was dressed for work at the bank.

Later

Last edited:
...I have a problem that almost all shirts are too long and way longer then the 2" "rule" and i dont understand the makers, why should a t-shirt go all the way down to the croutch? Through the years I only had a small amount of t-shirts that ended exactly where I wanted. They look better both with and without a jacket.

Well, I don't have that problem...just the opposite in fact.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
shirts are designed to be tucked in .
Actually there are several shirts styles which are designed specifically to be worn untucked; Hawaiian shirts, camp shirts, guayaberas, knits with banded bottoms, etc......and many of today's designers cut their dress shirts slimmer with shorter tails for the same reason.

normanpitkin

One of the Regulars
Actually there are several shirts styles which are designed specifically to be worn untucked; Hawaiian shirts, camp shirts, guayaberas, knits with banded bottoms, etc......and many of today's designers cut their dress shirts slimmer with shorter tails for the same reason.
well ,yes ,obviously....the point i was trying to make is that I assumed the original question posed was for shirts that are designed to be worn tucked in and are only left out for whatever reason! A dress shirt looks ludicrous untucked..imagine it with a tie and you get my point i am sure?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran