Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tutorial on posting pictures for dummies

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
It has been awhile since I was a "regular" on this forum and am not new to leather jackets but recently renewed my interest. Unfortunately, I don't recall my prior user name, so I am starting again from scratch. Yesterday I received a new Aero Highwayman shipped from Scotland to Texas and would love to post pictures but am unable to figure out how to do so. I would be appreciative if some kind soul would provide detailed instructions on exactly how this should be done. I do remember Peacoat, who as I recall was a helo pilot in the US Army. Anyhow, good to be back if I can post pictures.

There's a sticky in the forum at the top, but here's how to do it.
Post your pics online using Photobucket or the like. Many free sites out there.
Then, once pics are uploaded, click on one. Right-click on it and "Get image address". There are also link tools built in, but each site is different.
Then, paste the info as below - in between the image tags.

ScreenShot2012-06-21at50413PM-1.png

Peacoat

Bartender
Thank you for remembering me. Glad you didn't remember Butte; that would have been a mistake! A tip to others similarly situated: the IMG code is what you want to use on this forum. It will be found below the picture as you hover over the picture (on Photobucket).

Peacoat

Bartender
Peacoat, you were a pilot? What kind of helicopter did you pilot?

UH-1H, a Huey, only the best helicopter ever made. In a thousand hours of combat flying, under very difficult conditions for any aircraft, it only let me down once. And the one I was flying that day wasn't mine (172); it was loaner (168) from operations while mine was down for maintenance. 168 just didn't like me. It seems that every time I flew it, it would do something screwy. This particular day it was real screwy*, and I was able to remove it from our company inventory permanently. It had to go to Cam Ranh Bay to have the landing gear (skids) repaired, and went to another unit when it came out of maintenance. Too bad. I hope those pilots had better luck with it than I did.

172 was the one I flew most of the time, and it never gave me any trouble. Of course it had the best crew chief in the Army, and that may have had something to do with it. When my tour was over, the Old Man grabbed 172 as soon as I left the flight line. To this day he denies it, but I have seen a picture of him standing beside it with the C&C radio antenna attached to the tail boom. I have forgotten which frequency that was, but only the CO's ships had that particular radio installed.

*Decided it was through flying for the day while we were over the mountains. Without a little luck, a little skill and a lot of help from the Man above, 168 would have been through flying permanently, as would the four crew members on board. And I wouldn't be posting this little glimpse into the past.

I went with my younger brother in 1982 to the USMC recruiting station...they took him because he was 6'-2", and told me no for choppers at 6'-4". They said "there's lots of other things you can do" and I passed. He went in to fly jets, I became a nerd. I always wondered what it would have been like to fly choppers. Only time being tall bummed me out...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Helicopters were never meant to be flown. They are dangerous, and they crash and burn, much like motorcycles as well! USAF guys used to call the Cessna 172 "the flying speed brake." Now, the T-34B (Navy version) was one sweet flying machine and had over 500 hours of stick time in that one. Anyhow, Peacoat, I always enjoyed bantering back and forth with you and look forward again to renewal of the Army vs. Navy rivalry.

Peacoat

Bartender
Helicopters were never meant to be flown. They are dangerous, and they crash and burn, much like motorcycles as well! Anyhow, Peacoat, I always enjoyed bantering back and forth with you and look forward again to renewal of the Army vs. Navy rivalry.

Aha, that's what makes them so much fun. It makes the pilots and the crew members appreciate the night before the next mission. Life is at its sweetest when one's time amongst the living may well end the next day. Sorta like motorcycles.

Army vs. Navy rivalry: Perhaps not in football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR