Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TV DOC - Scott's Base Camp - World's remotest museum - BBC2 Next Sunday (UK)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
SCOTT'S Polar Base Camp must be one of the most preserved 'time capsules' in the world. For someone opening the door for the first time, it might feel akin to entering an Egyptian Pharoah's tomb in the 20's.
Current day photos show a hut that has literally been 'frozen' in time and gives a feel that 'the boys' have just popped out and will be returning at the day's end (of course, tragically, they didn't return).
Things have 'stood still' here for nearly a hundred years, as if some wicked witch had cast a spell and turned the whole scene into a living photograph - 'a snap-shot' of an era long gone...
British TV Presenter, Ben Fogle is fronting a documentary next Sunday 17th April on Brit TV (BBC2 to be correct), showing the amazing discoveries that are still being made at this camp (thousands of items were buried outside the hut on the orders of Capt. Scott RN, in the event of there being a fire). They estimate currently 80,000 items are being taken away for professional preservation and then 'returned' to the hut and their original resting places, so that it remains the World's most remote & authenitcally preserved of museums!
There is everything from Arctic Expedition Woollen jumpers and socks to coffee, to HP Sauce and Fry's Chocolate still existing in this 'time warp' of a place. This should make for a 'very interesting' programme and Fogle is not shy of an adventure himself (having rowed, yes rowed, across the Atlantic and also trekked unsuported to the North Pole).

So TUNE IN you adventure seeking folks if you can for this amazing peek through the keyhole into history and the spirit of adventure from Edwardian times. - Paddy M.

Last edited:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
And 'just so you know'...I'm getting all prepared with rations 'in' for this rivetting tale of adventure!

43147592-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran