Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TVLand; Going the way of A&E and AMC?

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
So it looks like TVLand is going the way of A&E and AMC. They've got reality shows and broadcast The Andy Griffith Show all weekend long. :( With all the television shows produced in the past 60 years they can't actually create a network that lives up to it's name?

positivelypinup

One of the Regulars
i noticed that. They're showing reality tv shows all the time. I always watched i love lucy on there and they cut the times they show it. Its annoying.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah there's tons of shows they haven't run for years. I'm up to see all the Gilligan's Island again and certainly other series would tickle other viewers but they get on these jags running shows in saturation quantity for no reason other than lack of originality.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There's a law that applies here -- one that's been proven true again and again: the longer any cable channel exists, the further it will be sucked toward the inevitable lowest common denominator of programming. So far the only exception to this rule has been TCM, and even that channel has shown evidence of creeping meatballism over the past five years or so. TV Land is only following the pattern laid out for it by its predecessor -- anyone who watched Nick at Nite in the late '80s/early '90s has seen this all happen before.

Liz

I have been mad at TVLand ever since they stopped airing I Dream of Jeannie a few years ago, and it's all gotten worse from there. At this point it's hard to believe they ever featured '50s shows, since nowadays it seems like the same five '70s and '80s shows (and Andy Griffith) are all that's ever on. I hate to think of TCM going the way of TVLand and AMC, but I have noticed an increasing number of boring '70s movies next month, and am starting to get slightly worried.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I want to see My Three Sons.

I don't want to see "High School Reunion" and that ghastly new show they keep advertising about turning 40. The ads show creepy women skydiving and buying sports cars, basically same old tired stereotypical mid-life crisis nonsense. Yet, they are calling it the new forty or something. Anyway, what that has to do with TVLand's mission is beyond me.

Save TVLand! Save me.

Flivver

Practically Family
I'm sorry to hear this. TVLand was one channel that was causing me to want to sign up for cable TV. (I see it sometimes in hotels when I travel).

I'll bet they've been doing market research. I work on the marketing and consumer insight side of the auto industry and have seen market research lead manufacturers toward one boring product after another. If the research isn't carefully constructed and targeted, it will lead to the lowest common denominator.

Sounds like that might be what happened here.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
There's a law that applies here -- one that's been proven true again and again: the longer any cable channel exists, the further it will be sucked toward the inevitable lowest common denominator of programming. So far the only exception to this rule has been TCM, and even that channel has shown evidence of creeping meatballism over the past five years or so. TV Land is only following the pattern laid out for it by its predecessor -- anyone who watched Nick at Nite in the late '80s/early '90s has seen this all happen before.

Very well put, Lizzie. Nick at Nite was delightful in its early years -- I very much miss the airings of the brilliant The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis (which hasn't been issued on DVD yet, worse luck).

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Burkes Law is on AMLIFE I watch it sometimes along with Voyage to the bottom of the Sea and Combat. It's a neat channel for us baby boomers I even saw an episode of the Green Hornet ! Last time I saw that show was when it came out in the 60s.

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
I am thoroughly disgusted with many of the cable channels these days that have started reality shows and all that garbage.

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
It's these X and Y generation yuppie snots running it

There were so many good shows that could be dusted off and brought back with no production costs ala the old Nostalgia Network: Highway Patrol, Route 66, Combat!, 12 O'Clock High, two 30s PI series made in the 70s: Banyon starring Robert Forster and City of Angels starring Wayne Rogers, and another 40s series made in the 70s: Ellery Queen starring Jim Hutton, just to name a few.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
PrettySquareGal said:
I want to see My Three Sons.

Oh my word, I'd completely forgotten about that show. Thanks so much for reminding me! Used to watch that and Mr. Ed on Nick at Night as a kid. It's such a treat on the rare occasions now when they show older Andy Griffith Shows, Lucy or Leave it to Beaver.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
KittyT said:
Oh my word, I'd completely forgotten about that show. Thanks so much for reminding me! Used to watch that and Mr. Ed on Nick at Night as a kid. It's such a treat on the rare occasions now when they show older Andy Griffith Shows, Lucy or Leave it to Beaver.

Sure!

I went to amazon to add the DVD to my wish list but it said it's unavailable. :( I used to love that show. And Family Affair, Honeymooners.

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
All of these networks have figured out that Americans will sit for hours and watch a test pattern. They don't care about the audience, just the advertising revenue (heck, when I was a kid I was all excited because "cable TV" was supposed to be commercial free and supported entirely by viewer subscriptions - now you get to pay for commercials). The less that they spend on programming, the greater the profit. If folks want a say, then write to your cable or satellite provider and tell them your cancelling your subsrciption until the programming improves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy