Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TV's in restaurant lounges

Bart

Familiar Face
I remember in days long gone when there were no TV's in restaurant lounges. Nowadays it's cheap entertainment, even on a plasma type tube, instead of a simple piano playing the likes of Cole Porter, Gershwin or some Broadway tunes, or anyone for that matter. (Showing my age) Now it's stale football, baseball or basketball games. Not everyone watches, except the guys who drink their beer right out of the bottle, but the noise is loud and clear and doesn't make for a relaxing evening.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Hey, I drink my beer right out of the bottle!

But I can't stand all that sports! :(
I sincerely wish that the phenomenon of the "sports bar" would just go away! :mad:
90 percent of all bars here seem to try to portray some sort of silly sports theme to the patrons. Been this way for as long as I can remember. It does really make me appreciate a place that tries for a differant atmosphere though, as those places are few and far between.

Citizen Ed

Familiar Face
I love my sports but I can't stand sports bars. I don't think the people who go to sports bars even like sports, they just go because it's the trendy thing to do. I can't concetrate on the game/event being shown, the brews are pricey, and I keep getting hosed on the trivia game thing on the screen next to the one showing my Beloved Bengals. Not my idea of a fun time.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
The only time I like TVs in bars is right now - actually the day after tomorrow - that is... WORLD CUP!

There is no way I'm gettign all the stations I need to see all the games I want to see, I much prefer strolling from bar to bar to watch.

Other than that, yeah, get the television out of the public space. Nothing kills conversation deader than a couple of people staring at a flickering image.

I don't mind sports bars. I'd rather they kept themselves to themselves, though. Why does a local pub need a TV? I don't know.

But i'm one of those strange types who likes to be able to hold a conversation in a bar. I hate juke boxes also. Too loud and generally full of bad music.

bk

RedPop4

One Too Many
Jake_Fink
While the coverage and commentary will be less than adequate, if you're in the U.S. you can see all 64 World Cup matches on either ABC, ESPN or ESPN2.

Lotta high-mindedness goin' on.

Music, TVs, obnoxiously loud people and crowds tend to keep me away from any establishment. I haven't been to a bar in ages. Makes no sense to me. I can make better drinks at home for less that are not watered down by some hack bartender. Half the time I have to tell them how to make the drinks I want anyway. What am I their teacher?! :rolleyes: 90% of the time they don't understand what hold the garbage means. :eek:

Regards,

J

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

TVs in restaurants and bars is a pet peeve with me. I understand sports bars having them. Good for those who want that. The problem is finding a bar that doesn't.

It is kind of like dress codes. There should be places to come dressed like you going to the gym or mowing the lawn...but there should be places you can go where people are dressed nice.

I don't want bar=TV.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Jake_Fink
While the coverage and commentary will be less than adequate, if you're in the U.S. you can see all 64 World Cup matches on either ABC, ESPN or ESPN2.

Which beats watching them on my computer, like I did for most of the last Euro cup. Cheers.

The television is everywhere. Look up in the sky; here in Toronto it's getting to be like Bladerunner, there are screens everywhere. There are screens on buildings, in lobbies in elevators, in subway stations and soon there will be screens in subways too. It's just plain bonkers. Bars and restaurants crank up the music, put televisions on every wall and make it next to impossible to have a conversation. When I'm out with my friends I don't just want to share the same few molecules of oxygen, I want to talk to them and hear what they have to say. All this overstimulation gets me agitated, and when I get agitated... well, just not pretty.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Pray tell, Jake, what's the best way to watch online? Since there's no cable or television in my office, online is the only way for me to watch in real time. What's your best choice? Sorry guys for the :eek:fftopic:

MK said:
It is kind of like dress codes. There should be places to come dressed like you going to the gym or mowing the lawn...but there should be places you can go where people are dressed nice.

Hey! I just came back from mowing the lawn and I am better dressed than most of the people I see in some of those places. :p
Straw hat, blue khakis and denium shirt. :fedora:;)

Regards,

J

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I think it's OK if the bar has a beat-up old black 'n white TV that they show the fights on.

And the fights have to come from the times before Sonny Liston took a dive for Cassius Clay.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can choose not to patronize a bar with TVs but how about doctors' offices? Before my Mom died I just about went freakin nuts trying to shut out that assinine Oprah-style blabbering or soap operas, or citizens court-type crap at many damned medical offices.:rage:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy