Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tweed jackets: a manner of dressing them

the_imperialist

One of the Regulars
Greetings all,

Small question, only as of lately have I procured my first tweed jackets. Being inexperienced in the wearing of these ancient and tweedy garments, how should one go about ultilizing their mesmerizing powers? I have searched through the forums to no avail hence, I submit this to your counsel. Thanks in advance.

Oh, and the jackets in question

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=300292576057

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=300292578607

Not a best, but one has to start somwhere right?

Regards,
the imperialist

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Not a bad first brace, what?

Number one looks great and a great price.
Of course it would have been great to get the matching strides...

And regarding your question- wearing them.

Whereabouts are you? I'm ex of AK.

Edit- now I guess you're of AK.

B
T

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
So much you can do with these...

Try tattersall shirts with plaid, club, or hunting ties, paired with wool trousers or country cords. Country boots, brogues, or gum boots finish the look nicely.

Enjoy!

billyspew

One Too Many
Two beauties there!

For trousers (as said), corduroys look great, along with heavier cloths. I personally also do jeans and khakis, but mine are generally more modern jackets than the ones you have purchased.

Shirts wise, I like faint, tight, earthy toned check patterns in a heavier cotton.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'll add flannel to the mix. Various shades of gray, brown and blue.

BTW, nice jackets at great prices.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Isn't that more of a "Hacking" Jacket? I consider a real tweed jacket to be something rather casual, and soft, in muted tones ,that "Go With" anything to sit around the drawing room in, or potter in amongst the flower beds, at the weekend, and the when it needs it, to have leather patches added to the "elbows" Oh and yes leather buttons!!!!

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Both are Norfolk (technically 3/4 Norfolk) jackets. The first example is of a very traditional Derby tweed that was almost certainly woven by WG, near to me. Trousers (and particularly breeches) to match this fabric are very common and can easily be obtained.

This style is for country wear (nothing to do with 'hacking' which is an equine pastime) and is usually worn in the UK with breeches and stockings, field boots or brush spats. You occasionally see eccentrics (like me) wearing the style in town with moleskins or corduroys. A deer stalker is probably considered a bit OTT but a blackthorn stick goes with them 'just right' under any circumstances and can be used to bludgeon anyone who objects to your mode of dress.

Just my opinion, of course.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I second HJ's blackthorn recommendation. It's light, strong and adds a startling textural complement to a tweed and leather outfit. The bludgeon aspect is beautifully understated.

In these straitened times (economically and ethically), how long before our walking canes are torn from our gnarled fingers by hi-vis vest wearing, otherwise unemployable nicompoops? How long before tweeds are designated a sign of malcontentedness, if not of actual intent to commit [insert piddling offence created under spurious statute, punishable by spot fine]?

They will prise my penknife from my cold dead fingers. Etc.

And those are two great jackets you've got there.

Will you be wearing them on down and dale or in town?

Hal

Practically Family
This style is for country wear...You occasionally see eccentrics (like me) wearing the style in town with moleskins or corduroys.
An admirable combination of jacket and trousers!

A deer stalker is probably considered a bit OTT...
The Sherlock Holmes type of deerstalker (with earflaps) would be, but the lower-key type (is this normally called the fore-and-aft, Mr Johnson?) would look good.
A flat cap with a tweed jacket is traditional country wear in the British Isles, and not the least eccentric.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Hal,

Hello, my friend. It is called a 'fore and aft' indeed. Indeed, I wear my Derby tweed with a matching flat cap (equally easily available in the UK). This stuff lacks the cachet of Scottish and Irish tweed, but is great IMO. It's my local tweed, and where I come from a guy supports his local tweed...

Hal said:
An admirable combination of jacket and trousers!

The Sherlock Holmes type of deerstalker (with earflaps) would be, but the lower-key type (is this normally called the fore-and-aft, Mr Johnson?) would look good.
A flat cap with a tweed jacket is traditional country wear in the British Isles, and not the least eccentric.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I think just about anything goes with a good tweed jacket except fine, business-y patterns and details. You would do better with a repp or bold paisley tie and a tab collar, say, than a pin dot tie and barred collar. Similarly, go with blucher shoes rather than slender bal oxfords.

the_imperialist

One of the Regulars
Thank you sirs for your replies, just goes to show my knowledge-base of country-wear is vastly limited. I'm still very much confused by the semantics of hacking, orfolk, shooting, country suits. The intent is to wear them about town, and whilst being 'improper' I feel in light of the times it would be permissible, (furthermore being in the antipodes).

thus I shall endeavour to procure courduroy trousers and/or plus-fours/knickers/(or something along those lines).

Oh and I think we can safely agree we can all be considered eccentrics :D

Once again my heartiest thanks to you o founts of sartorial wisdom.

Regards,
the imperialist

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
the_imperialist said:
Thank you sirs for your replies, just goes to show my knowledge-base of country-wear is vastly limited. I'm still very much confused by the semantics of hacking, orfolk, shooting, country suits. The intent is to wear them about town, and whilst being 'improper' I feel in light of the times it would be permissible, (furthermore being in the antipodes).

thus I shall endeavour to procure courduroy trousers and/or plus-fours/knickers/(or something along those lines).

Oh and I think we can safely agree we can all be considered eccentrics :D

Once again my heartiest thanks to you o founts of sartorial wisdom.

Regards,
the imperialist
Dear Sir
Welcome

I see you are in NZ.. I used to live in NZ and miss the place dearly

I did look rather unusual and eccentric with my Plus Fours, Tweed, Shooting suits in the Wairarapa!!

RBH
DSCF1915.jpg

H.Johnson

One Too Many
The finishing touch...

If I may make so bold, I think I detect that Sir RBH is wearing Albert Thurston braces, which complete the outfit. The braces of gentlemen...

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Either jacket would be perfect for the 3 Speed Tour in May. I'm hesitant to buy one via ebay, I'd like to try one on before I buy. To date I've struck out in vintage shops, maybe I'll get lucky.

the_imperialist

One of the Regulars
Sir RBH, you're truly an inspiration, the quintessential English country gentleman. I shall be extremely happy if I can even have an iota of your stylishness :D

regards
the imperialist

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
the_imperialist said:
Sir RBH, you're truly an inspiration, the quintessential English country gentleman. I shall be extremely happy if I can even have an iota of your stylishness :D

regards
the imperialist
Thank you Sir for your Kind Words

Todays attire for you..
Normal sort of day here at the Grindstone
Bookster Burgundy Moleskins with Fishtail rear and button fly
Thurston Barathea Braces
Vintage link armbands
Lewin Luxury weave shirt
Lewin Tie
Loake Suede brogues
Hilditch and Key Socks and Thurston sock suspenders
Esquire Tweed Hacking Jacket
Pakeman Catto Carter Tweed cap
RBH
EsquireTweedJacket003.jpg

EsquireTweedJacket004.jpg

Feb192009006.jpg

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
H.Johnson said:
If I may make so bold, I think I detect that Sir RBH is wearing Albert Thurston braces, which complete the outfit. The braces of gentlemen...
Indeed
I wear Thurston Braces every day.. Simply the most comfortable way to keep my trousers in the right place!!
tweedWindowpaneSept30008sml.jpg

tweedWindowpaneSept30022sml.jpg

Moleskins003.jpg

Cords.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW