Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tweezerman Shaving Brush Question..

Doug C

Practically Family
Do the Tweezerman Shaving brushes shed their bristles onto your face often? I bought a Saville Row shaving brush and am getting very annoyed at the amount of bristles I have to pull off of my lathered face, although it has a beautiful tortoise shell handle. Suggestions?

Doug C

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Tweezerman Brush.

I have the tweezerman $10 brush and I am very happy with it. The Bristles are high quality. I use it almost everyday and I have not had any shedding like I have had from other brushes. Make sure you nag it upside down to dry. The only thing that would make it better for me is if it didn't say tweezerman on the handle...lol.

---Scott

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
A Saville Row brush should not be shedding. Have you consulted the vendor you purchased it from? It may simply be defective and need replaced. I have one, and in more than a year's use it has lost nary a hair.

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Most new brushes will shed some hairs, but lots of shedding usually indicates poor materials or workmanship.

Of course, misuse can damage the best brush. There are plenty of men who soak their brushes in boiling water for ten minutes before they shave and wonder why the brush sheds so much.

panamag8or

Practically Family
Agreed with Scotrace and Feng Li. If it has been a while, contact the vendor. Those brushes are not supposed to do that.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
I also have a Tweezerman Shaving Brush and consider the best bargin I've ever purchased. I have used it virtually every day for the past three years and it is as good today as it was at the end of the first week of use. It sheds bristles VERY rarely. I'm planning to buy a couple more of them - one for the travel kit and a spare for if and when one of the other two ever wear out. If there's a better value going on out there, I'll eat my brush! ;)

For what it's worth, I don't have a stand, so I dry it standing up on its handle. No negative effect after three years. I do agree with Scott's earlier post that the wooden handles aren't great, but when you consider what the next cheapest alternative costs, I'll make do!

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
skbellis said:
The only thing that would make it better for me is if it didn't say tweezerman on the handle...lol.
---Scott

Scott, I know how to fix that. Fine steal wool or very, very fine sand paper. Get the sand paper or steal wool wet before you do it. No Tweezerman!:p

Doug C

Practically Family
Thanks Guys - I got the Saville Row brush (that sheds) from ebay, it was supposedly only used a couple of times and included the original box and receipt too IIRC. The other thing that bugs me about the Saville Row is that it's pretty large, much more so than other shaving brushes I've looked at...the bristles have a huge wide flare when it's dry. But again I love the immitation tortois shell / amber handle..oh well.
BTW, I plan on getting the tweezerman from ebay too, they seem to be in the $15-20 range. Just ordered some Pirates Cove "Menthol soap w/ Shea butter oil".

Doug C

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Tweezerman...$10???

You can buy the brush directly form Tweezerman for $15 (was only $10 not so long ago), or from this place : http://www.beautyrose.com/twdeshbrform.html

for $10.00.

Sometimes things on ebay aren't always such a deal.

Cheers,

---Scott

P.S. -- I'll try the steel wool to get the name off the handle. Thanks for the tip.

EvenOdd

New in Town
My first brush was the Tweezerman off beautyrose that was linked. It worked great, though mine was faulty. The clump of bristles came unglued, and I don't use that hot of water to heat it up.

Right now I'm using a Savile Row brush which I like. There's been a little shedding the first week or two, but now it's golden. I believe I picked it up from QED USA.

Speaking of shaving, I picked up some Crabtree & Evelyn sienna shaving cream in a jar tonight. I have the tube of almond that I like. I'll see how this more concentrated cream works out.

Jovan

Suspended
My cheapie Burma Shave brush does that from time to time, but I'd be a little worried if a higher quality one like that continued doing it.

Are these really good for $10-15? I may just look into getting one.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
tweezerman vs. burma shave

The tweezerman brush is a great step up from the Burma Shave brush for a minimum price. Getting a quality Badger Hair shaving brush for $10 - $15 is a steal. The tweezerman feels luxurious compared to the boar bristles of the burma shave brush. There is a thread on here somewhere that goes into detail about the differences between boar bristle and badger hair, but trust me you will notice a vast improvement with the tweezerman brush. I started with a Burma Shave brush myself and have retired it to occasionally applying Clubman talc to the back of my neck for that fresh barbershop feeling on occasion.

Cheers,

---Scott

Jovan

Suspended
I hope that was sarcasm. :p

To get the most out of a brush, you need to use the old fashioned shaving soap or cream -- cream that comes out of a toothpaste-like tube, not a can -- in a mug or scuttle. Believe me, warm lather that you whipped up yourself makes a big difference with modern razors alone. I know from experience.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Qwkslvr said:
I haven't used a brush before, but am definitely going to make purchase and give it a try. So far, I've been doing it just like the pioneers did; I squirt shave cream into my palm from a can.

You are in for a treat, my friend. Once you experience a brush shave, you'll be sold. Your skin will thank you too... :)

Jovan

Suspended
There are some good sites that sell kits. I can't remember them off the top of my head. The wetshave-heads here would be able to chime in better on that. I just started getting into using soap and a brush a few months ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner