Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Twilight Zone 4th of July marathon on SciFi

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Here in the states, the SciFi channel is running a two-day marathon of the original series of the Twilight Zone, and being a Certified Government Cog, I'm getting holiday pay to sit on my couch and watch the whole thing. Surely this is what my forefathers fought for.

The series ran from 1959-64, and the only thing better than watching all of the great stars (both established actors and those just on the brink of discovery) is checking out the great clothes. Fedoras, three-piece suits, skinny ties, bow ties, knit vests, spearpoint collars, even the occasional watch chain. Amazing that these fashions were so common just the year before I was born. It would be so nice if these episodes had been shot in color.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
"A Game of Pool" Original air date 13 October 1961 (Season 3, Episode 5), Jack Klugman and Jonathan Winters. Jonathan Winters as the late great pool shark James Howard "Fats" Brown, wearing a striped dark suit, three pocket three button single breasted jacket with wide notch collar and single button hole on the left lapel, front pleated pants with tapered legs and no cuffs, a light-colored vest with four pockets and six buttons (all fastened), a thick watch chain spanning the lower vest pockets but bypassing the button holes altogether, tonal striped white shirt with white spread collar and white double french cuffs, black tie with tight asymmetrical knot, black shirt sleeve garters, dark suspenders occasionally seen peeking out from under the vest's arm holes, and dark-colored round cuff links.

Jack Klugman as Jesse Cardiff, wearing grey cuffed trousers and a non-descript grey front button sweater with the sleeve cuffs folded back, over a windowpane pattern shirt buttoned to the collar, and a grey fedora, brim up and a rough teardrop bash, with a wide black ribbon, bow in the back.

250px-A_Game_of_Pool.jpg
2264727020100752951S425x425Q85.jpg
poolzone.jpg

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Been glued to the tube for hours. Besides a quick jump down to The Pantry for a bite, have not left the ol' club chair for hours.

Oh, and I Tivo'ed the Klugman/Winters episode. One of my favorites.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Mr. Lucky said:
Oh, and I Tivo'ed the Klugman/Winters episode. One of my favorites.
I didn't Tivo it, but my DVR always keeps an hour on stand-by so as soon as it was over I hit rewind and watched it again. Seriously, what a great episode.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I've been watching episodes of "The Twilite Zone" today, too.
That was the best written show ever in my opinion.
Rod Searling was a genius.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
No question that Rod Serling was a genius, but keep in mind that while he wrote the teleplays for an amazing number of episodes, he didn't write them all.

Many great TZ classics were written by Richard Matheson, Charles Beaumont, George Clayton Johnson, Montgomery Pittman, and Earl Hamner Jr.

FATS88

One of the Regulars
THE RAREST OF EPISODES

Hello,
Does anyone know if the rare George Takei episode
will be shown in the marathon?

Slim Portly

One Too Many
That was such a great marathon. A couple of clunkers, but many gems. It is fascinating to see how they used clothing to define the characters, from mobsters to milquetoasts, from farmers to fops. Gangster's dames in pencil skirts and fur wraps, bullies with straw trilbies and loud sport shirts, lawyers (and sissies) in bow ties, angels (and devils) in vested suits. Truly a treat for the sartorially inclined.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21