Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two roads diverged in a wood..

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
So, what steps do you take when you're at a crossroads in your life? I'm at the point where I need to decide whether I want to go on to a PhD or if I want to cut the crap and start a real life with the man I love and find a job in my field. I've been investigating the issue to the very depths of it and I think I know what I want and then I change my mind again.

What do you do when you have to choose something like this? :eusa_doh:

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Find a way to do both. Bend the universe to your will.

Remember, Frost said that he had taken the road less traveled and that had made all the difference, but he doesn't say whether it was good or bad, or if his choice was right or not, just that it had made a difference.

In my opinion, you can never have enough education, and true love will wait or support you through it.

Whatever you do, good luck and Godspeed!

olive bleu

One Too Many
take the love.

I made that choice when i was at a similar crossroad. I turned my back on a career i wanted and followed my heart. This is not to say that you may never have regrets. I am presently in a job that is not fulfilling and the marriage has not even turned out as I expected. But, if i had to do it over would I make a different choice? Not in a million years.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
...Never make life-altering choices on information gleaned from a message board! ;) :)
Right!
Go with the message ya got in the last fortune cookie ya opened. :p

But seriously, it doesn't have to be either or, like Mr. Jones said, you can do both. It might be difficult, but taking the difficult path always seems to be worth it in the end. Never quit.

S

Samsa

Miss Brill said:
I hate Robert Frost.

Oh my. Why is that, if you don't mind my asking? Ironically, most people misread that poem - Frost says that it doesn't really make a difference which road you choose.

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
Miss Brill said:
Just from reading books about him. He was kind of odd.

I'd think that would make him most welcome here. :D

I'd agree with Hemingway on both counts; Do what you want, and education is a marvelous thing.

I would add that it's the application of what you have learned that really makes the difference.

S

Samsa

Miss Brill said:
Just from reading books about him. He was kind of odd.

I have read quite a lot of poetry, and am not sure I can think of any poet who lived a "normal" life.

Harp might know of a few, though...

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Samsa said:
I have read quite a lot of poetry, and am not sure I can think of any poet who lived a "normal" life.

Harp might know of a few, though...

I also remember something about Frost holding a gun to his wife's head & telling their daughter to choose which parent she wanted to live. I read several books on him for an assignment a few years ago & was left very disturbed by them.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Miss Brill said:
I also remember something about Frost holding a gun to his wife's head & telling their daughter to choose which parent she wanted to live. I read several books on him for an assignment a few years ago & was left very disturbed by them.

Roses have thorns, and silver fountains mud;
Clouds and eclipses stain both moon and sun,
And loathsome canker lives in sweetest bud.

Shakespeare

...sane poets are as rare as blue lilies;
though they may not be so delightful.

--Oscar Wilde
:)

eightbore

Suspended
Graduate programs put love to the test (particularly the first year of study)...but if you talk to people who had their relationship survive doctoral work, they will tell you it was the absolute best time for them. Academic hardship can bring you together if you are prepared to see just how strong the relationship is. I wouldn't even concern myself with the job unless I had kids. You have your entire life to buy into the system, why the rush?

JMHO,

eightbore

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy