Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two Vintage Canoe Builds From Cedar Planks

DUKE NUKEM

One of the Regulars
Barbie and I are building a couple of these in our shop.
I can just picture us cruising down a midwestern stream wearing Filson Buffalo Plaid Jackets and wool bibs, Russell Mocassin Boots with our canvas wall tents and two of our 1886 Winchester 45-70's.
Life preservers of course. ;)

Canoe.jpg

otca_16_top_lg-1.jpg

otca_16_angl_lg.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAwj8_5SuHk&feature=related

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/classic_wood/otca_16.html

Top one is a SOLID FRAME
Bottom two are TAKE DOWNS

L7.jpg

This young fella is not me by the way.
IMG_3970-1.jpg

Last edited:

Renault

One Too Many
Awesome! Can't wait to get my canoe on the lake. Maybe next Fall. Canoe out to one of the islands for several days. Set up a small camp. Smoke my pipe. I can smell the trout sizzling in the pan!!!!!!

Renault

DUKE NUKEM

One of the Regulars
Awesome! Can't wait to get my canoe on the lake. Maybe next Fall. Canoe out to one of the islands for several days. Set up a small camp. Smoke my pipe. I can smell the trout sizzling in the pan!!!!!!

Renault
Your a lucky man Renault. We have no water here where all my crap is just until we get relocated to the midwest.

Renault

One Too Many
Your a lucky man Renault. We have no water here where all my crap is just until we get relocated to the midwest.

I have to drive about 900 miles to my "favorite lake" in the mountains to canoe. But it's well worth the trip. About 8 years ago several of us did a total immersion 18th century canoe hunt on the Neches river in East Texas. Over in the Boggy slough area (Davy Crockett National Forest). Just south of the Caddo Mounds state historic area (Davis Site). This was the same area that the Natchitoches Trader, Louis Juchereau de St. Denis as well as the Spanish military inspector The Marquis de Rubi traveled thru way back in the day! Only thing was our canoes were a bit on the modern side....

Renault

cco23i

A-List Customer
OUTSTANDING!! My brother and I would canoe from northern Indiana down to the southern end, great times!

Scott

DUKE NUKEM

One of the Regulars
Yea I'll have to have Pocahontas guide me. OOPS! Well Wifey in her Pocahontas/Minnetonka boots outfit. HEAR
She does a lot of the building hear in our shop.

Last edited:

Big Fella

Familiar Face
I currently have an Old Town Octa grade AA out being reconditioned. Been gone about a year. It's due back soon. Think I'll take it up to the Adorondiacs for a camping trip.

James71

A-List Customer
Mr Nukem, you are definitely a man cut from the same cloth as I. If you didnt live on the other side of the world I would be inviting you on trips!

I too canoe, (though alas mine is a fibreglass canadian until I can afford the old town penobscot 174 that I have my eye on....) and shoot (though mine is a marlin 1895G in 45/70) and own a grunsfors bruks (though mine is the scandinavian forest axe).

James.

P.S. Oh, and we are both married to an american! (though mines from PA)

DUKE NUKEM

One of the Regulars
Mr Nukem, you are definitely a man cut from the same cloth as I. If you didnt live on the other side of the world I would be inviting you on trips!

I too canoe, (though alas mine is a fibreglass canadian until I can afford the old town penobscot 174 that I have my eye on....) and shoot (though mine is a marlin 1895G in 45/70) and own a grunsfors bruks (though mine is the scandinavian forest axe).

James.

P.S. Oh, and we are both married to an american! (though mines from PA)

Why thank you James. :eusa_clap
My GB Felling axe will be delivered on Monday

And Marlins? ;)

DB1.jpg

And the 1895 Cowboy. ;)
MARLINCOWBOY.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko