Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Type 3/Trucker style - Thoughts?

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I saw one in aged antique steer( I think), It looked fabulous. Looked like a great texture...I think someone here owned it, it ended up on ebay , nowhere near my size, but an Absolute stunner

GregO

One of the Regulars
Here's a jacket a good friend of mine had made by Aero last year.

Based on a Lee 101J, and made from split cowhide from an old LVC contract...

View attachment 18984

That's a great jacket. The split cowhide is great stuff. Months back, I had asked the folks at Aero if they had any left to make me the trucker, but they don't. I don't like the flimsiness (for lack of a better term) of the suede, but the split cowhide would be great. But its a no go.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Type 3 jackets are a wardrobe must; can't personally hang with anything but indigo warp and weft tho ;)

schitzo

Suspended
I know you said you've a board racer on order in seal jerky HH but I've actually been thinking this might not be a bad bet for the type 3. I tried on an AL jacket in their seal jerky (not sure if it's the same stuff) and it was very light and comfortable, more so than their goatskin.

What I'm wondering at the minute, is what about a leather type 3 with a cord collar? Since natural skin oils spoil the leather (I know it takes ages, but over time, eventually they do) this would be one way to avert that, plus on denim jackets, where they're usually tan coloured or brown IMO those look cool. Or perhaps even a denim collar? But if cord, then the question of colour arises, i.e. should it be matching or contrast?

D

Deleted member 16736

That would result in a third layer of leather over the pocket. That might be an issue with FQHH. But I see what you're saying. In all honesty, I'm not a stickler for historical details in outerwear like I know some folks are, so the V inserts stopping at the pocket isn't a huge deal to me. I think it looks good both ways.

The leather trucker jackets from Johnson Leather and Lewis Leather don't use patch pockets and thereby avoid a triple layer of leather. They stitch the perimeter of the pocket instead.

dm8877

New in Town
Your first photo is of my jacket. I got it through Thurston Bros. this spring.

As to your questions: buttons, pockets, side tabs, Vs on the front - the jacket has a lot going on. I'd second the caution about contrast stitching. Denim versions usually have straw or golden stitching and I ended up going with the same for mine. Mine is also unlined and the stitching is very close to the color of the suede side of the hide. Sometimes I wonder if with the grainy goatskin it all looks a little too busy. But mostly I just love the thing.

Another warning: FIT. This is a small pattern. I have a 30s slim fit half belt in size 44. It fits perfectly in the shoulders and just a bit big around the waist. I decided to go with size 44 for the trucker as well because I wanted a tighter, more compact look (google 'Ryan Gosling denim jacket' for an idea). Man, did I get it! I can button it closed but another inch around the bottom would be great. Forget about layering. This suits me fine because I wear it kind of like a windbreaker over a T-shirt or a dress shirt. If I button it, it's only the middle two buttons to keep it from flapping around in the wind. If I'd gotten it with lining I'd have been screwed. Pay close attention to fit.

A leather trucker means no Canadian tuxedo if you want to wear jeans :) I'd also go with the buttons over the snaps.

GregO

One of the Regulars
dm, thanks for the fit advice. The info on the smallness of the pattern is great to have.

As for the jacket looking too busy -- from the pics, I don't think so. I think it looks killer. Maybe it looks different in person...I dunno.

I'm guessing you get quite a few compliments or inquiries when you wear it. One of the reasons I'm attracted to the jacket is you don't see many leather truckers around, especially in nice leather.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I don't mean to be Debbie Downer, but I like that style jacket in denim more than leather. If I wanted a leather jacket with buttons and cuffs, I'd get one: but not one with the stitching where it would be if it was a "jean jacket." Then again, I'm a big fan of traditional and minimalist.

dm8877

New in Town
I'd be glad to post some photos if I could figure out how.

DSC_5135_zps039f0713.jpg

dm8877

New in Town
Sorry about the weird selfies. It's hard to get a good shot without bringing the camera to the eye which would mess with the fit. Anyway, I hope they're helpful.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Here is a Lost Worlds. I bought and sold this jacket. It is a size 46 and I wear a 44. I wanted to make it work because I like this style. Just too big as the fit pics show. I own three other LW jackets. This leather on this one was just too thick. I like the look of the Aero.

DSC02074.JPG
DSC02098.JPG
DSC02558.JPG
DSC02562.JPG
DSC02566.JPG

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Here is a Lost Worlds. I bought and sold this jacket. It is a size 46 and I wear a 44. I wanted to make it work because I like this style. Just too big as the fit pics show. I own three other LW jackets. This leather on this one was just too thick. I like the look of the Aero.

View attachment 19200
View attachment 19201
View attachment 19202
View attachment 19203
View attachment 19204
I saw that on ebay, just a bit too small for me, or I would have bought it....very substantial leather isn't it? Maybe too much for that design. Lovely all the same.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I think that leather overwhelms the design.

Yes, it was rather bulky, but then it was a size too big. I have seen a vintage Tauber that looks perfect weight, but it is too small. I may have one some day. The Aero this style looks very nice.

pak

One of the Regulars
dm8877, that is a very nice looking jacket. The goat is just right.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Sorry about the weird selfies. It's hard to get a good shot without bringing the camera to the eye which would mess with the fit. Anyway, I hope they're helpful.

That's a great jacket and fit. I've had my eyes on that model for a while now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael