Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Typewriters

ebonysw45

One of the Regulars
I little more modern but still a nice remington.

11732459386_7aaefc6e1a.jpg

Last edited:

Mickey85

New in Town
I'm a bit of a collector who happens to like writing...badly...

First up is my oldest - a 1926 LC Smith Model 50. This one was a step up from the base model. The 50 denotes 50 keys. Got this one from somebody's barn. Blew the leaves out, and it types, but it's gritty and needs new feet. At the moment its more of a conversation piece.
IMAG0180-1.jpg

Next up is my favorite standard - a pica type 1941 Underwood standard - this has the same basic guts as the ubiquitous #5. The body work was added as an update in the 30's to the model. Still a carriage shift, and it'll give your pinkies a workout:
IMAG0176-1.jpg

My '30's Underwood standard portable. One of two 4 bank Underwood portables I've found. The other is a Spanish model. Most of the others I've found are 3 bank. It's missing a piece or two, and I'm always on the lookout for parts machines
IMAG0182-2.jpg

A 1973 Remington Rand Streamliner. $6 from Goodwill. A little WD-40 on the ribbon, and I take it with me everywhere when I travel.
IMAG0181-1.jpg

1938 Royal Model O. I absolutely adore this machine. It's beautiful, and types like none other. I can't remember when this thing jammed last - it really flies! The only other manual typer I have that is anywhere close to this in type quality is the Underwood standard.
IMAG0177-2.jpg

A 1975 Royal Sabre. I bought this from the original owner off of Craigslist. She bought it when she was 18 and used it all 4 years in college. I personally can't really stand this thing, but its so original, and came with all the original paperwork and the case key that I have to keep it.
IMAG0185-1.jpg

IMAG0190-2.jpg

IMAG0188-2.jpg

IMAG0186-1.jpg

IMAG0187-1.jpg

Not pictured - repainted (red) Royal Mercury - a rebranded Japanese number that's missing a part or two; a 1967 Royal 440. It's big, it's ugly, it weighs a ton, backspace doesn't work, and it says "dinka dinka, dinka" when typing. It works well for paperwork, and I don't have to worry about it getting damaged while staying at work (a residential facility for teenage girls), and a Smith Corona Classic that is also at work. That one has a skipping carriage. Oh, and a Classic parts machine...should probably combine those at some point to have a working machine - they do type quite nicely.

Anyway, sorry for the photo hogging...

Mickey85

New in Town
Continued:

My Sears brand Smith Corona 12 electric. Musty, but works great. Kinda weird that it's still got a manual return in the mid-60's. I wonder if its because its a rebranded leftover model and not a proper Smith Corona
IMAG0191-2.jpg

A Smith-Corona Electra 210. This is my workhorse. I love this thing, and use it for 6+ pages a day. It's fast, it doesn't jam, its design is intuitive, and the motor is mostly silent (unlike the Sears, which will give a nice clickety-hum when running). I got this one free - it was about to be tossed out after a Lion's Club flea market.
IMAG0175-2.jpg

1953 Smith-Corona Silent-Super. My first real vintage portable. It's a really nice typer, and while not silent, is certainly the quietest one I've used.
image-6.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Mickey, you have a lovely 1920s 4-bank Underwood Standard Portable. It's identical to mine! (see my avatar, on left!).

What 'pieces' are you missing? And out of curiosity, does the shift-lock on that typewriter work?

In my experience, the shift-locks on some portable typewriters seem to wear out very easily. On a number of antique portables I've seen, they simply do not work anymore.

Mickey85

New in Town
The shift lock works well. I've honestly not come across one that doesn't work well, but I don't use it much anyway. The Royal O has a funky shift lock that is just a key that you toggle under a bar - there's no actual locking mechanism. Kinda idiot proof. I'm missing the nuts for the ribbon spools and the...the...I'm blanking on the name - its the ruler that covers the feed rollers. It's a rather specific design on this machine, and I don't have a parts machine with something that would fit. Oh, and the two springs that hold down the paper bail.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Oh yeah. I can see why you need a parts machine.

Have you tried finding modern substitute nuts for the spool-nuts? That might work. The only thing they have to do is hold the spools in-place so that they turn properly.

Mickey85

New in Town
I haven't looked that hard, honestly, because those aren't going to make or break the operation of the machine. I rarely port the portables anyway. The other two pieces are necessities though. I've typed a page on it - while annoying, it had a nice action. It would be exciting to find something that would be able to be retrofitted to it so that I could type reliably with it.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I bought this machine for my wife. It is an Olympia SM-7 from the mud sixties. It is in lovely shape and works perfectly. It is precise and snappy, very much a product of W German engineering.
image.jpg
And it types in a lovely script connecting font. It's great for letters.
image.jpg

GI Joe

Familiar Face
This thread got me looking closer at a typewriter I bought a few years ago for my WWII Living History display. Thanks to the Interwebby, I know know that my Remington Deluxe Model 5 was built between August 1940 - July 1942! Now I just need to clean it up and do a little TLC to get it rolling again.

rjb1

Practically Family
Since that typewriter is sitting in/on a GI field desk, I was planning to invite you to some of our reenactments, but I checked your profile and saw that you are in Wyoming (far from Tennessee!). Worth a try...

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Shopping in the 1950s.

Although I am 47, I have never had the experience of buying a manual typewriter new, until recently.
I bought this Olivetti Lettera 22 in its original box, original packaging, and never typed on. It was completely mint.

The label showed that it was a prize for Tupperware sales and it had sat in a closet for 60 years.

I had to oil it a little since the oil had dried out, as did the ribbon. I replaced it with a blue ink ribbon to match the machine.

You might recognize this machine from The Talented Mr. Ripley film.

image.jpg image.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
IMG_0966.jpg

I picked up this Hermes 3000 for $30 yesterday. it works great. it is a little scuffed, but sometimes that is liberating because you don't have to worry about it.

This model was from circa 1960 and is a real solid typewriter with an interesting and easy-to-read typeface.

IMG_0967.JPG

This is the same model that Jack Kerouac used to write "On the Road" in one continuous scroll.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Of all the postwar typewriters, the Hermes 3000 (original, curved styling) is the one I love the most. It looks very sleek, postwar 1950s jet/nuclear age to me. Very much of-its-time, and that's why I like it.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Of all the postwar typewriters, the Hermes 3000 (original, curved styling) is the one I love the most. It looks very sleek, postwar 1950s jet/nuclear age to me. Very much of-its-time, and that's why I like it.
I can see that and I agree. The styling is very unique and very much of its age. It's so curvy, like a car of the time period. It's also quite heavy. It's odd to think that the Olivetti above it is ten years older. It has more of a contemporary design.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
IMG_0857.jpg IMG_0858.jpg
I always thought that this Royal Safari's style perfectly captured that Space-Race / 2001 aesthetic and this is why I bought it. This is mid-sixties. It's also a very warm machine to type on, although the "Magic Margin" is not so magic to me. What could be easier than the slides on the older machines?

BTW, the Hermes has a very confusing margin system. That's an issue with it.

Nobert

Practically Family
Hmm, in it's overall shape and styling that Royal looks pretty similar to Smith-Coronas of the period. I guess that's around the time that the design of things started to amalgamate.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hmm, in it's overall shape and styling that Royal looks pretty similar to Smith-Coronas of the period. I guess that's around the time that the design of things started to amalgamate.
I agree, although this Royal is larger than most SCs. There s no perspective in this photo, but it's quite high. I like the SC Corsair. That is nice looking machine, well-styled, but rubbish to type on. I really loved the black SC of the 40s and earlier, and The Clipper. That was a nice looking machine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot