Typewriters

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by Travis, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

I have that EXACT machine, including the case, sitting under my bed, right now!!

Trenchfriend likes this.
  2. FlapperGirl

FlapperGirl New in Town

I have two manual typewriters which I use to write. first I do first draft on my old typewriter and then I transcribe it onto the laptop. I just don't feel it's vintage typing on a laptop when I write about the 20s.

3. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

For my daughter's 16th birthday I got her a vintage 1960s "Erika" brand typewriter from the old East Germany. She loves that thing and, a few years later, took it with her to college.

4. martinsantos

martinsantos Practically Family

IMG_2099.JPG IMG_2100.JPG Lovely Remington Portable. Late 20s.

5. Klunk

Klunk New in Town

872E6E07-AA36-4992-AC26-6B9ECCCA43D1.jpeg
    So here is my Underwood. I don’t know what year it is and I don’t type with it. I do use it to display a copy of my uncle’s WWII letter for winning the Bronze Star on Iwo Jima.

6. Edward Reed

Edward Reed Familiar Face

Here is my Underwood typewriter. Its part of my 1940s WWII Army Air Forces themed office collection... according to the Underwood Serial Number page this Underwood Model S was manufactured in the last quarter of 1941. Its still works wonderfully. Now I need a proper typewriter desk.
    IMG_8528.JPG
    IMG_8515.jpg
    IMG_8513.jpg

7. David Conwill

David Conwill Call Me a Cab

A dozen years later, I'm still using this. I'm actually 20 pages into a novel I'm writing. I find the actual writing to be much easier using a typewriter versus my laptop. Retyping it into the computer will be the next draft, where I clean up and re-write.

1955 Smith Corona Silent.jpg

The only issues thus far are that the felt silencer refuses to stay under the type bars and my ribbon is quite old and starting to go. I can put up with the noise, but I'm going to need a ribbon soon--any recommendations? I didn't see any on my last visit to Staples.

martinsantos likes this.
  8. martinsantos

martinsantos Practically Family

TAke a look on eBay or any typewriter related store. Maybe you will need to rewind the ribbon into the correct spool - I have to do this with most of my typewriters.

I have heard very well about www.mytypewriter.com albeit never bought anything from them.

If impossible or too expensive drop me a line so I can indicate manufacturers here. I buy ribbons by dozens (I don't like when they start getting grayish so I change every 30-40 pages, if a black/red ribbon). They are nylon type and cost around US$1 each. There are for Olivettis, Remingtons from 50s, the Facits and Olympias. But I'm sure you will find really good ones near you. As far as I know is possible to find in USA real silk ribbons!

David Conwill likes this.
  9. David Conwill

David Conwill Call Me a Cab

Thanks, @martinsantos ! I see a few candidates on Amazon and eBay. I just need to make a decision and try one, I guess.

martinsantos likes this.
  10. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

The last ribbon I got, for my Royal Model 10, came from mytypewriter. Ten years later, and I'm still using it. I get the feeling these are new ribbons pre-wound onto vintage spools, but you take what you can get these days.

I learned to type on my mother's Smith-Corona, which aside from a few minor cosmetic notes, is the same as yours. An excellent, durable, easy-to-operate machine.

11. DeeDub

DeeDub One of the Regulars

I've been buying ribbons from Swartz Ink over in La Grande, OR (https://www.swartzink.com/) and, to wind my own, e.g., on vintage spools that are difficult or expensive to replace, I buy in bulk from Baco Ribbons in Missouri, (314-835-9300 or bacoribbon@sbcglobal.net)

David Conwill likes this.