Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

U.S. Army considers new uniforms

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Funny Story that's not to off topic...

My Grandpa was wearing his USAF evening fulls dress (the short coat w/. bow tie tuxedo type affair) to an event held at a hotel. This was about 1949 - so the Air Force was still a new thing.

Anyways, at the end of the night he was waiting for the valet to bring him his car, when a civilian mistook his for a DOOR MAN and asked him to get the bags out of the car!

My Grandpa, always one for a good practical joke, replied, "right away, sir!" and carried the bags to the front desk. When the confused fellow offered him a tip he relied "Sorry sir, as a Lt Col of the United States Air Force, regulations strictly forbid me to accept gratuities. Thanks, though."

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Army Dress Blues

When I was in the Army, I wore my wool Dress Blues many times for Color Guard, and was proud to do so. Therefore, when I heard that the Army was going to make Dress Blues its Class A uniform, I was happy; a smart uniform, with a history going back to the Revolution. However, now that I see that enlisted-men can't wear the saucer cap, and that the grey, Westpoint-type shirt that was proposed has now become white, I'm not so jubilant. A beret and a white shirt? Who makes these decisions? In actuality, the Dress Greens, when made with wool and worn with a tan shirt, looked good, even though that changed in the early-'80s. Personally, I would have liked a return to the officer's "pinks" of WWII, with the option of garrison or service cap. Well, at least the officer's Dress Blue uniform looks good...

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
marineabilly said:
No WAY!!! Ixnay on the high collar. That, of course, resembles the Marine Corps Dress Blue blouse. This was a functional addition to the uniform in the 18th and 19th century designed to protect the neck from a sword blow during battle. Something we pride ourselves on - not a fashion statement...
What a blow to the Marine Corps. First they copy the idea of our digital pattern now this?

Well, to be fully accurate, it was a leather belt that was added to the Marine uniform in the 18th century to ward off saber blows to the neck (hence the term "Leathernecks"). The standing collar was already standard for both Soldiers and Naval officers during that time period (on and off), and was used by the Army Air Service until about 1926. So the Air Force wouldn't have been copying the Marines, per se, just going back to its WWI, Billy Mitchell heritage. Oh, and for the digital patterns, I believe they started with the Canadian Army, if I'm not mistaken.

Weston

A-List Customer
Paisley said:
Good to know, even if I don't get it. It just seems odd to see soldiers walking around in camoflage in downtown Denver.

On this we agree! A large group of us went on a tour through Charleston with the ABU/BDU being the UOD. Some looked at us as if wondering why we were there. I tossed off a quick "Our plane ran out of gas" to the onlookers. ;)

Paisley said:
When I was in, we had the choice of wearing fatigues, BDUs (camoflage) or dress blues to work if we were going to be in the lab all day. I wore blues--the oxfords were much lighter than combat boots and the shirt and pants were easier to iron. Do ABUs still have to be ironed?

No, mercifully. But most uniforms go through the same cycle: "Wash according to directions. Don't dry clean or iron." Then later "Keep two pair: on base and field stuff." "OK, iron if you want to." "Ok, iron it cause everyone else is." and finally "Ok, forget what it does to the nightvision defeating properties, do whatever you want to it."

Bleagh. If the USAF could find a decent uniform and go a solid 5 years without screwing around with it, I'd count it a minor miracle. But I'm also no fan of the airline pilot/business man sack suit.

William Shears

New in Town
Widebrim said:
Well, to be fully accurate, it was a leather belt that was added to the Marine uniform in the 18th century to ward off saber blows to the neck (hence the term "Leathernecks"). The standing collar was already standard for both Soldiers and Naval officers during that time period (on and off), and was used by the Army Air Service until about 1926. So the Air Force wouldn't have been copying the Marines, per se, just going back to its WWI, Billy Mitchell heritage. Oh, and for the digital patterns, I believe they started with the Canadian Army, if I'm not mistaken.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the major reason for retaining that collar was something much more sinister. That is, to keep the privates from slouching. ;)

And yes, we bought the CADPAT concept from the Canadians, making MARPAT. Then the Army got on the bandwagon and chose a color that only blends in with metal bleachers and cheap couches. To add insult to injury they make their poor fighting men wear those pajamas everywhere so that nobody can see the combat decorations they have been awarded.

Unfortunately, at least in the Marines, we are discouraged from wearing our service and dress uniforms on liberty. Not only because we will be mercilessly mocked by our peers, but because it supposedly makes us targets for terrorists. Still have to have a high and tight haircut though. :rolleyes:

This also might be my first post here, can't recall. So, greetings! EDIT:Look at that, it was. I was going to make a post somewhere all formal and polite like. I'm so embarrassed now.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
That's what really ticks me off, too, when you are actually told not to wear your uniform, period. A terrorist is going to walk up to you, and try to blow you away simply for wearing a uniform? My 1st Sergeant questioned me five years ago for wearing my Class B uniform to the airport, but I wore it anyway on leave. And then the Army is now telling Soldiers not to wear dress uniforms on normal duty, but ACUs, in order to identify with those in country...I hate seeing fatigues, utilities in public, and on those whose MOS's have nothing to do with the field...Infantry all the way!:D

marineabilly

A-List Customer
Left, left, lefty righty lay-o...

USMC_uniforms.jpg

DutyDressEnlisted.jpg

800px-MARPAT_combat.jpg

DutyDressOfficer.jpg

PlateIII_Officer_Dress_Uniform.jpg

PlateV_Evening_Dress.jpg

PlateVIII_Blue_White_and_Drum_Corps.jpg

WWII UNIFORMS
675px-MarineMajor-3uniforms.jpg

PlateXII.jpg

PlateXI.jpg

donCarlos

Practically Family
PlateV_Evening_Dress.jpg

This one is very interesting. I´d like to know when was the last time anyone used the cloak. It looks good, but it´s a bit (about 100 years) outdated.

The rest of the pictures - those are actual uniforms, aren´t they? They´re perfectly fine, but the ones (from the links above) are... Well, there was a time when the pretty uniform was one of the reasons for joining the army...

marineabilly

A-List Customer
Marine Corps Officer Boat Cloak

Yes, those are current uniforms.

That is, as you stated, the Marine Officer's Boat Cloak and is apparently still authorized for wear. I just leaned over to my LtCol who's been in for 24+ years and he stated that he's never seen anyone wear one. The $600 price tag is probably the reason why. The Dress Blues alone are pricey and to add the cloak is just rediculous seing as the majority of Marines wear their Blues only once a year during the Marine Corps Birthday Ball.

http://www.marineshop.com/Boatcloak.aspx

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Gongs

I liked the comment that room on the stomach was going to be needed for all the scrambled egg and gold that is authorised for wear !

In the British Army, even a vet' of Kosovo, GW1, Northern Ireland, GW2, Afghanistan and long service is unlikely ever to go higher than 9 ribbons. There was some talk of even that being too much even though it might be deserved. Mind you, we don't issue medals for everything and plenty of soldiers have none.

I'd be interested to know how many medals are available to an average serviceperson and what they were for.

Dave

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim said:
That's what really ticks me off, too, when you are actually told not to wear your uniform, period. A terrorist is going to walk up to you, and try to blow you away simply for wearing a uniform?
The military does not appreciate having its symbolism deconstructed, but I can't resist:

-maybe there's a feeling that looking ready symbolizes being ready better than looking sharp does. Never underestimate the desire for public image at the top of any organization; manipulating image has become something of a science.

-there may also be a blue-collar vs. white-collar distinction being subtly underlined: we're not your shirtsleeves & Dockers brand of Americans, we're closer to skilled tradespeople, both occupationally and culturally.

-the Marines especially, being a service with a separate and self-defined identity, may want to reserve the Class B or C as a uniform to be worn only around other Marines - like the Naval Aviation "working" greens on their way to being phased out.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim said:
And then the Army is now telling Soldiers not to wear dress uniforms on normal duty, but ACUs, in order to identify with those in country...I hate seeing fatigues, utilities in public, and on those whose MOS's have nothing to do with the field...Infantry all the way!:D

Riiiiiiiiiiight.

I have 20+ years in service and am currently in an Infantry Battalion, near Baghdad International. We have a boatload of 88Ms and 63Bs fleshing out our ranks and a fair number of females holding low density MOS'.

They're all on the UMR as belonging to the BN.

They all pull 12 hours shifts. They all wear IOTV and carry an M4.

And they all have right shoulder patches.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
Well, as an ex Marine, I can glibly point out that the Marines have had the sense not to mess with a good thing for about a century or more now.
But for my money, the old WW II uniform totally outclasses all others.

I've always admired the Corps for its professionalism, and readily admit
that Marine sartorial standards are a cut above-and-beyond.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Widebrim said:
That's what really ticks me off, too, when you are actually told not to wear your uniform, period. A terrorist is going to walk up to you, and try to blow you away simply for wearing a uniform?

Well, yes. You forget that these are people who get violently indignant over the slightest provocation, real or imagined. Even puppies upset them. Besides, that's nothing new about being advised not to wear the uniform in certain places. I remember being advised (we were never actually ordered to do so) in the early 70s not to wear the uniform in certain areas of certain stateside towns that were known to target GI's for various criminal activities.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
William Shears said:
IUnfortunately, at least in the Marines, we are discouraged from wearing our service and dress uniforms on liberty. Not only because we will be mercilessly mocked by our peers, but because it supposedly makes us targets for terrorists. Still have to have a high and tight haircut though. :rolleyes:

This also might be my first post here, can't recall. So, greetings! EDIT:Look at that, it was. I was going to make a post somewhere all formal and polite like. I'm so embarrassed now.

Wear a fedora and the terrorists won't see your high-and-tight.

And welcome!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Right on, Brother!

Story said:
Riiiiiiiiiiight.

I have 20+ years in service and am currently in an Infantry Battalion, near Baghdad International. We have a boatload of 88Ms and 63Bs fleshing out our ranks and a fair number of females holding low density MOS'.

They're all on the UMR as belonging to the BN.

They all pull 12 hours shifts. They all wear IOTV and carry an M4.

And they all have right shoulder patches.

When I was an Infantryman attached to the Cavalry:eek: in Iraq, we would sometimes go into Kirkuk Air Base to get a hot meal or some supplies. There were quite a few females carrying M-4s (which really have too short of a barrel to be very effective, but anyway...), and I even saw a couple with 249Bs! And I know that this is :eek:fftopic:, but what is this practice of calling everybody who's been in country a combat vet? When you spent your time working at the post office or the motor pool (no disrespect to those MOSs), and almost never went outside the wire? As far as wearing a wartime service patch, though, you do get that for simply being in country for at least three months.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
marineabilly said:
Yes, those are current uniforms.

That is, as you stated, the Marine Officer's Boat Cloak and is apparently still authorized for wear. I just leaned over to my LtCol who's been in for 24+ years and he stated that he's never seen anyone wear one. The $600 price tag is probably the reason why. The Dress Blues alone are pricey and to add the cloak is just rediculous seing as the majority of Marines wear their Blues only once a year during the Marine Corps Birthday Ball.

http://www.marineshop.com/Boatcloak.aspx

Yes, Army General officers also may wear the cloak, but I never saw one in ten years of service. Regarding the uniforms that you posted, the Army once had such an array, but that was sadly many years ago. I think our Dress Whites were even phased out recently. And now no service cap for Enlisted?:rage: Someone's got to listen to the Joes out there and bring back our sartorial traditions.:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner