Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

U.S.N M-69F LEATHER LONG COAT

COOPER & BURNETT

New in Town
This is a U.S. Navy M-69 F transport coat. These were made from the same veg tanned goatskin leather that they made the G-1 flight jackets out of. The U.S. Navy spared no expense on making these coats. These are of the absolute utmost highest quality.
These coats are out there, but they are pretty rare. These are quite heavy, especially around the shoulder area. I cannot even imagine what it would cost for the same quality coat to be made today. Can you imagine if Eastman leather made veg tanned versions of this? How many thousands would they charge you?
This has a beautiful, massive mutton collar. Behind the collar has the stenciled "USN". Some, depending on the maker, used white stencil, others like mine are black. There is alpaca fur in this coat, and in the shoulder area it is insulated somehow.
This coat says it's a size 38, but I'm 5-7 155, and this fits very big on me. These coats tend to run large. You can wear these over sweaters or coats. Very warm for what it is.

20200403_152920.jpg

COOPER & BURNETT

New in Town
I have seen many leather belts missing entirely from this coat. It was designed to have one. Another thing that might be missing on some of these coats, is the buckle for the belt is leather-wrapped. The metal buckle itself was made in England, and then it was leather-wrapped when it was being manufactured here in the states.

20200403_153013.jpg

COOPER & BURNETT

New in Town
I have an earlier version of this coat. It is currently on loan at moffett airfield museum, along with leather flight trousers and flight boots. The reason why Moffat museum wanted to display the flight coat, was because that was where the dirigibles were kept in their massive hangers. The dirigeable pilots wore these coats. It's part of their history. It has a slightly different design, and even has the owner's dog tag attached to it! Visit it if you have the opportunity.

Back to the one that I'm showing now, I don't know if it comes out in the photos very well, but under the armpit is even more buttery soft goatskin leather!

20200403_153716.jpg
20200403_153835.jpg

Last edited:

So33

One of the Regulars
Thanks for showing these. I'll have to keep my eyes out for one in my size. Little to no chance of finding one at a thrift sale I'd bet.

COOPER & BURNETT

New in Town
Thank you for commenting I appreciate it!
Yes, the chances of you finding one in the thrift store are slim to none. But you might find one in an antique store. I've seen two in my years of going to antique stores.
Do not look for your size in this coat. They run big. Mine is a size 38. I wear flight jacket size 44, and the size 38 fits perfect for me, even room to wear a sweater underneath it without feeling cramped.

COOPER & BURNETT

New in Town
Thanks for showing these. I'll have to keep my eyes out for one in my size. Little to no chance of finding one at a thrift sale I'd bet.

Don't know how long it will last, but as of Sun. April 5 2020, there is a near mint M-69F listed on eBay. It's a Gordon and Ferguson, with a red satin liner. A real beauty!

Boz

New in Town
This is a U.S. Navy M-69 F transport coat. These were made from the same veg tanned goatskin leather that they made the G-1 flight jackets out of. The U.S. Navy spared no expense on making these coats. These are of the absolute utmost highest quality.
These coats are out there, but they are pretty rare. These are quite heavy, especially around the shoulder area. I cannot even imagine what it would cost for the same quality coat to be made today. Can you imagine if Eastman leather made veg tanned versions of this? How many thousands would they charge you?
This has a beautiful, massive mutton collar. Behind the collar has the stenciled "USN". Some, depending on the maker, used white stencil, others like mine are black. There is alpaca fur in this coat, and in the shoulder area it is insulated somehow.
This coat says it's a size 38, but I'm 5-7 155, and this fits very big on me. These coats tend to run large. You can wear these over sweaters or coats. Very warm for what it is.

View attachment 224870
Messrs. Cooper & Burnett, the term is "mouton collar", not "mutton". Mutton is a cut of lamb which harkens from medieval England. Come on, guys.... Make an effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points