Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UK anti-vintage rules (well, kinda)

CassD

One of the Regulars
Jovan said:
CassD: It's funny you say that, because back in the '60s it was unthinkable to have women running around with their legs exposed in a professional environment, perhaps partly BECAUSE the men would be distracted. Star Trek was interesting in this respect, because not only were most of the women wear fashionable (at the time) minidress uniforms, the men didn't really notice their legs -- they saw the women as their equals and were always professional. Poor Yeoman Rand had to ASK Kirk to look at her legs when they all had a disease because he wouldn't notice them any other way. "I always tried to get you to look at my legs..." Has that already happened? Heck yes. You don't even bat an eye at women in short skirts nowadays. [huh]

LOL! I never thought I'd see a reference to Star Trek on this site, but it makes me happy. :eusa_clap

Jovan

Suspended
You'd be surprised how many of us love it, Cass. :) MrBern and I are fans, as is TangoYankee (?) I believe. I probably make way too many Star Trek references. I just discovered how great it was two years ago during the 40th anniversary, and I unlike when I was 10 years old and saw it on the Scifi Channel I actually get the issues the episodes touch on.

Anyways, back on topic!

Edward

Bartender
Fleur De Guerre said:
How ridiculous. All that shows is how detached from reality these big cheeses have got. I work in a very heavily lawyer and banker populated part of London and see well-dressed women in fishnets all the time. They only carry a negative connotation for a very small and old-fashioned minority. The same, no doubt male, people probably think women still shouldn't *be* lawyers. :rolleyes:

That about covers it, yes.

Mind you, the whole debate needs to be taken with a pinch of sodium chloride, given the source. This is, after all, the tabloid that opposed all talk of the law being relaxed on sado-masochism and assault (following the infamous R v Brown case in the early mid 90s, consent is no defence to GBH) with an argument along the lines of 'if you legalise it, everyone will turn into perverts.'

Jovan

Suspended
Miss 1929 said:
Trekkie here too!

Since season 1, episode 1 - I am old...
Depends what you define as the first episode and if you are going by production order or airdate order (the latter which makes no sense with character development and costuming)... "The Cage," "Where No Man Has Gone Before," or... "The Man Trap." :eusa_doh:

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Jovan said:
Depends what you define as the first episode and if you are going by production order or airdate order (the latter which makes no sense with character development and costuming)... "The Cage," "Where No Man Has Gone Before," or... "The Man Trap." :eusa_doh:

Well, "The Cage" wasn't seen until it was incorporated into "The Menagerie", so it'd either have to be WNMHGB or "Man Trap", if you're going by first airing or production order of the series, even though "The Cage" was produced first.

Jovan

Suspended
I consider it the first episode since it was the pilot that was later considered canonical. I was very, very pissed that the Remastered Season One set did not include it, especially when the disc menus showed "WNHGB" as episode #02. :rage: If they release the set for Blu-Ray, they will either correct this, put the episodes in PRODUCTION order, or both. Otherwise they're gonna have a fan riot on their hands. lol

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The law firm is doing the right thing for the wrong reason. A baggy sweatsuit wouldn't be a distraction at all--but it wouldn't be appropriate, either.

Jovan

Suspended
I saw and got to meet this young lady last night. Her fishnets were far from the biggest distraction -- her personality and beauty far outweighed that.

I've seen a few people out in small weave fishnet stockings and skirt suits before and I never thought it was inappropriate for either going out or the workplace. But that's me.

diablo.jpg

For those who don't know, this is Juno writer Diablo Cody.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy