Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Umbrellas & Parasols!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
texasgirl said:
IMG_2578.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

texasgirl, your first umbrella is circa 1920-1930 (I'd guess early-mid 30's) and the second umbrella is circa 1950.

Vintage Betty

Heather

Practically Family

graverobbergirl

New in Town
Black lacy parasols always put me in the mind of the whole goth scene, which does sometimes take into account vintage inspiration. Personally, I'd go for one of the softer colors.

But as always, it all depends on what you're wearing...

Heather, I don't think you'd look crazy. They used to be a staple accessory, and if you're going vintage... ;)

Heather

Practically Family
How long are parasols suppose to be? Is 25-26" sound about right? They're suppose to be shorter than regular umbrella's...like mini-versions? [huh] Sorry for all the questions!

Vintage Betty

Heather said:
How long are parasols suppose to be? Is 25-26" sound about right? They're suppose to be shorter than regular umbrella's...like mini-versions? [huh] Sorry for all the questions!

It really depends on a few things:
1) Time period: Early 1900's had much longer parasols than the 1920's.
2) Type of parasol/umbrella/carriage parasol: Each of these has unique attributes which "identify" them as the type of parasol; one feature being their length. You will never find a carriage parasol with a 30"+ length rod.
3) Usage of parasol (decorative vs sunny day/rainy day. A decorative lacy parasol has different materials and weight than a 1950's sturdy umbrella designed to keep a woman dry in the rain.
4) Materials: If you are going to carry a parasol of ivory or hardwood, it will be much heavier than normal and you probably wouldn't purchase a long version of these materials, plus the added cost would make it prohibitive.

I have parasols from the early 1910's which are very long and reach my hip and children's carriage parasols which are extremely short - probably 12-14". I won't even bring doll parasols into this thread, because that's a whole 'nother discussion.

If you want to pick an average size, the 25" sounds about right to plug in a number as an average.

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

Heather said:
Thank you very much for all that information Vintage Betty! :)

My pleasure. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I took out all my parasols and umbrellas and took about 150 pictures one day, intending to do a tuturial. Have been too busy....[huh]

Miss 1929

Vintage Betty said:
My pleasure. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I took out all my parasols and umbrellas and took about 150 pictures one day, intending to do a tuturial. Have been too busy....[huh]

:eek:fftopic: VINTAGE BETTY YOUR INBOX IS FULL
PLEASE GO READ THE EVENTS THREAD FOR MAY 1ST!!!

Vintage Betty

julia said:
What is the best material for blocking the sun? Does nylon work well? I like this parasol, http://pearlriver.com/v2/FramesCat.asp?iGroup=297 do you think it will be effective? I want to end the summer paler than I began it!

Any parasol is much better to block the sun than no parasol at all. Since paper parasols are porous, I wouldn't recommend them as a long-term solution to protect your skin.

While significantly more expensive, you really want a parasol with a UV rating to block out the suns rays. Here is one website:

http://www.carasolparasols.com/

But you can also search UV Parasols and come up with other selections from other manufacturers. If you are wearing UV rated sunglasses or live in a climate with extra-bright sunlight (Australia) you might want a UV rated parasol too.

Cheers-

Vintage Betty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo