Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unappreciated masterpieces?

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
Oh I agree that Schindler’s list is definitely a classic. J
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is another great one.
Spencer Tracy in the Old Man and the Sea is incredible.
Lonely are the Brave wit Kirk Douglas. One of his best.
*I* loved Band of Brothers. Probably among my top 5 films.
I don’t know how unappreciated it is, but I always thought the Ox Bow Incident was one of the best westerns ever. (Not counting High Noon)
I agree that Once Upon a Time in America is wonderful.
Almost anything by Akira Kurisawa (Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood, Yojimbo).

Last edited:

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
Another three that I thought of are:

The Young Philadelphians (1959) ...starring Paul Newman amongst other great actors. Someone gave me the DVD along with several others. I really like Paul Newman's movies and his acting, but I very nearly passed on watching this one. I had never heard of it and thought, because of that, it's probably not very good. Was I ever wrong! It's a very good movie.

I'm not sure if anyone here likes Clint Eastwood much or not, but (regardless) here are two that are really worth watching. You don't hear much of anything about either one of them, any longer (maybe never). They are also not your "typical" Eastwood movies.

The Beguiled (1971) ....directed by Don Siegel

Play Misty For Me (1971) ...also directed by Eastwood

- Ian
The Beguiled was an excellent film. J

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
Bad Day at Black Rock (1955) starring Spencer Tracy, Robert Ryan, Lee Marvin, Ernest Borgnine and Anne Francis.

I consider this movie a masterpiece. Though, it may not be unappreciated, I believe that it is underappreciated.

BadDayAtBlackRock-1955-MGM-half_zps96beca0a.jpg

- Ian

This is one of he finest films ever! I have trouble picking between this one and the Old Man and the Sea as Tracy’s best.

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
The only thing was that I didn’t care seeing Ernest Borgnine in the role of a bad guy. Hes a favorite of mine and was a wonderful human being. Good actor. J

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
BTW…when I was in the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] grade, Walter Brennan came through to our little school in Perry County, Alabama. He came to see the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] and 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] graders and was very popular at the time. I remember getting his autograph and actually sitting on his knee as we all had our pictures made with him. I’d give anything to have that pic today. He was a really nice man. J

BTW…when I was in the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] grade, Walter Brennan came through to our little school in Perry County, Alabama. He came to see the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] and 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] graders and was very popular at the time. I remember getting his autograph and actually sitting on his knee as we all had our pictures made with him. I’d give anything to have that pic today. He was a really nice man. J

Nice!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I am going to add, The Wages of Fear. A 1950s French film with Yves Montand. But it is probably only unappreciated by those who cannot be bothered with the English subtitles.

Panadora

Practically Family
A little late, but ...

... Driving a Ferrari through Paris ...
Not a Ferrari, a Mercedes-Benz 450SEL ;)

C-etait-un-rendez-vous-Lelouch-Mercedes-Paris-2-lecatalog.com.jpg

I would still say, for cars racing in the city, Gumball Rally is still the best! Who wouldn't like to race a Cobra or a Daytona in Manhattan?
[video=youtube;oqEUhMAa1YM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqEUhMAa1YM[/video]

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I will catch it next time, then, due to your recommendation. :)
It is worth buying a full price version from a store rather than a bargain bootleg Chinese copy from eB**, as the copy I bought had bits footage missing so I bought a Henri-Georges Clouzot(director) box set.
Unless you can see it on TV, even cheaper :)

Last edited:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
It is worth buying a full price version from a store rather than a bargain bootleg Chinese copy from eB**, as the copy I bought had bits footage missing so I bought a Henri-Georges Clouzot(director) box set.
Unless you can see it on TV, even cheaper :)

Thanks Rocketeer. I do know it comes on TCM a couple of times a year. I'll DVR it next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21