Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uncle & Nephew joint photo (spanning 64 years)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just so that you guys remember my happy face rather than see the mish-mash that it currently resembles, here is a photo of myself in the 21st Century, positioned beside my uncle in England in 1941 (Wing Commander Joe "BRAD" Bradley, MM, DFC, 10 Squadron, R.A.F).

One of the group members pointed out that there was a 'wee' bit of a similarity between the two of us, after I posted a photo showing Uncle Joe with a few of his aircrew mates.

Gee, ya think you two might be related? :D
He had a little longer hair though. That is saying something for a military man too. ;)
I am sure it is better than looking like Spike Jones. LOL

Regards to all,

J

P.S. They way you put those two pictures together sort of makes it look like you have your hand on your uncle's shoulder. :cool2:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks for that James on the Uncle & Me photo...

Now I have had time to look at that, you are quite right about the hand on the shoulder. Totally unintentional, funny how that worked out now that you give me a "heads up" on it, so cheers! I feel quite chuffed by that now.

I am hoping to go to see an old squadron mate of his at some point, as he was on the bombing run over Crete when my Uncle Joe was shot down, and actually saw the bomber getting hit and the parachutes opening up (sadly, not all the crew got out in time). This old fellow has a full squadron pic too with one of the Halifax bombers in the background, so I'm looking to get a quality repro of that too. Hard work all this research!

Cheers James.

I noticed the hand and got quite a kick out of it myself. If you made your picture just a little smaller then it would really work well. ;)
If you can get a good repro of the new photo that would be great. Repros from an original photo are the best. I have some from my great grandparents that are nice to have. Family research is always a chore. Especially if you have to go to other countries to get to the bottom of something. :D After six generations, I have to go back to the "old country" and search the baptism records at the old church.

Regards to all,

J

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just discovered 60-year-old pic of Uncle in Special Forces!

Just managed to get this pic from my mum in Ireland of my Uncle Joe when he worked with SOE (Special Operations Executive) on the island of Crete during the German occupation. He was in the RAF but seconded to SOE, after bailing out of his aircraft. He worked for a year on the island and was involved in the capture of the commanding general on the island. As you can see, we Middleton's love our dogs, even in the face of adversity! He is on the far left as you look at the pic, stroking the dog. Yep, the research continues!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Close up of Joe with his island canine friend!

Just a close up with Joe and dog on Crete, 1941. A Band of Brigands if ever there was one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany