Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Under London: Blitz experience tours of Aldwych Underground station

Story

I'll Lock Up
As part of a series of commemorative events taking place in London to mark the 70th anniversary of the Blitz and the Battle of Britain, visitors are being allowed to descend into the disused Aldwych Underground station. The station has been transformed to recreate the feel of what it was like during the 1940s when thousands of people took refuge in the Underground from the bombs that rained on the capital.

However, tickets have sold out already. In this gallery we show you what visitors on the Blitz experience tours of Aldwych will experience, and historic pictures of Londoners sheltering in London Underground stations during WW2 air raids

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pic...nce-tours-of-Aldwych-Underground-station.html

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Thanks for posting that, the photos were amazing, particularly the people asleep on the escalator. My great uncle Harry was a warden during the blitz, but we have no photos of him at that time, so i have sent those to my Dad who will be very pleased to have a look too. Shame all the tickets are sold though, boo hiss!

Story

I'll Lock Up
Puzzicato said:
I saw that in the paper today. I should pop down to Aldwych for a look!

Careful - they say tickets are sold out. I dare ya to crash it - dress vintage and go 'seeking refuge'. ;)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Dang! I'd likely have headed up to town if there were tickets still available. I've wanted to see inside one of the old disused tube stations for ages.

I've been on the refurbished 1930s train mentioned in the article which was cool but I'm glad to see they have now put more appropriate adverts on the boards. When we went it had 1970s and 80s stuff! :eusa_doh:

Story

I'll Lock Up
So call or email 'em & see if there's tix available.
Nothin' ventured, nothin' gained. [huh]

ps - post pics if you make it.

Warden

One Too Many
You know I think this is a great idea and would of loved to have been on a tour.

The 1940 under ground trains are wonderful. Almost like being in a sitting room.

To be an annorak it was a shame the warden could not of dressed better and it is my understanding that model of gas mask is wrong for Civil Defence wardens.

You see, they should of used me;)

Harry

benstephens

Practically Family
This does look great. I also hope they do it again, perhaps a few times a year would be good. It looks like they have had some very good events on recently in London!

Yes, I think you are right Warden, I am not even sure what that bag is, however, I suspect they were actors, not living historians.

Kindest Regards

Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner