Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Underwelts - Yay or Nay?

Leacock

Familiar Face
I am commissioning a hat and would like some information on underwelts. Are they worth having? This would be a beaver felt hat.

The only other felt hat I have (from the PRC so probably a rabbit mink blend or something) does not have anything on the edges and seems fine though I have only had it for a few months.

So what is everyone's opinion on the topic?

fedoracentric

Banned
Hmmm. I have never considered if they are "better" or "worth having." They are a style. They look nice. But so does every other kind of brim treatment. I guess it is a matter of your tastes.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
I have a definite opinion on an under welt - its personal, but for some unknown reason its the wrong way round. I just think a hat looks better with an over welt. It could be that it has something to do with the hidden part - I prefer to see the turn-up, rather than have is like a hidden hem, is I guess what it boils down to. I guess I feel the under welt is hiding something, but the over welt is showing it off...

20105October008.jpg

Last edited:

Banky

One of the Regulars
For me, having attempted to do them and having what I considered deplorable results I see a well executed underwelt as a thing of beauty and a show of great craftsmanship. That being said, they aren't my preference for personal wear.

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
Underwelt is my favorite brim treatment. If I was having a hat custom made, I'd absolutely get an underwelt. On the other hand, I really don't like overwelts.

underwelt, i have a stetson and the brim rolls down and then is sewn-------- i wished it was rolled up for me this suits me because i flip up my brims-- but for fedoras and akubras a raw edge is the way to go because i bend down in front- the hat pictured is the way to go anyways

Last edited:

Leacock

Familiar Face
My point of wiev is, that it's all up to you. What do you like? Who cares, what I like - and who should?

I was thinking it may result in a stronger brim, but if it is purely æsthetic then that is not so important.

I was not quite clear on what the distinction was as I lack any fedoras with them and limited web searching did not offer much information or detailed image comparisons to decide if it was something I would prefer or not.

fedoracentric

Banned
I was thinking it may result in a stronger brim, but if it is purely æsthetic then that is not so important.

I was not quite clear on what the distinction was as I lack any fedoras with them and limited web searching did not offer much information or detailed image comparisons to decide if it was something I would prefer or not.

It really doesn't do anything for "strength" as far as I know. It is just a cosmetic treatment.

As to web searches for the terms, these days about the only people even using the terms "underwelt" and "overwelt" are right here! LOL

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Underwelts are a passable substitute for a Cavanagh edge as well. I quite like underwelts, though if push came to shove, I might have slightly more affection for a bound ege. Still, I made sure to have some underwelts in my collection.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Not quite sure what an underwelt is.................I'm presumming it is edge of the brim turned over & sewn as on leather, canvas & cheap wool hats (either with or without a wire)...........if so, no I don't like them. Overwelts then, must be the brim edge turned upwards & sewn which I dislike even more.
Raw edge would be my preference especially on an expensive hat & bound as a second choice.
I can't really see the point of welting a brim unless it's to hide something (such as brim wire) & aesthetically it only goes to 'cheapen' a hat but having walked the earth for over half a century I have learnt that individual tastes are hard to fathom & some folks must consider welting a thing of beauty.

Last edited:

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think a well done overwelt looks like a Cavanagh edge from any distance and adds some visual interest to the brim. I like em. I think underwelts cause the brim to look very thick for no reason whereas with an overwelt the brim treatment is obvious.

fedoracentric

Banned
I can't really see the point of welting a brim unless it's to hide something (such as brim wire) & aesthetically it only goes to 'cheapen' a hat ....

Well, the Cavanagh Edge was famous for being one of the most expensive brim edge treatments (and one of the most desirable) in hat history and it is a blind over welt, so your thought that it "cheapens" a hat is not quite right. And almost never did a welt in a real fedora hide any wires. Wires did go in cheap wool hats, but not quality fur felt ones.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Not being a hat expert I would have great difficulty in distinguishing between a Cavanagh edge on a beaver felt & the underwelt of a Bailey's lite wool felt hat, at least without a magnifying glass, so to me, a welted edge signifies 'cheap' however prestigious a welted or Cavanagh edge may be in some quarters. I'm not into thick chunky brims anyway. Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder & since welted edges exist, someone must like 'em..........fortunately there are enough hat shapes, styles, colours & brim edge finishes to suit everyone. :rolleyes:
I'll also remind you that the OP asked for our opinions on them, I merely gave mine.

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I have yet to see an underwelt in person. I like my overwelts enough, but still prefer raw or bound, at least when a true felted edge is unavailable. Those are the best. I do rather enjoy the overwelt on this falcon park.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1407599992015.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1407599992015.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 446

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner