Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Union Tags. A question.

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
This is mainly directed to Wild Root. I saw a post awhile back showing a website that illustrated pics of union tags. I need to find this website. I know that there is an NRA pre-36, then 36-39, 39-49 and 49-69.

If someone remembers this website please post it here!

Thanks in advance for replies,

Dan

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, I remember that site but, I can't remember the address. To lazy to look it up I guess. :p

You have a good idea of the way the go by years! Just about how much I know about them. The NRA tags started in 1933 and went to 1936 or so. It was late 1935 really. The NRA was out of the picture by 1936. Any way, wish I could help you more old man.

Root.

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Thanks Root. I found the website but unfortunately it's useless to me.

What is confusing is this has no copyright and I actually removed the tag from the suit. It is extreme hourglass cut, the handkerchief pocket is quite slanted (a good sign) the peaked lapels are straight out (double breasted) and the trousers are button fly. I'm positive this suit is thirties.

The only thing I can say about this union tag that looks significantly different is...

The 36, 39 and 49 have a diamond shape in the middle, being split by the vertical set of red letters/numbers.

The union tag in question has an oval shape that is split in the middle by the aforementioned red letters/numbers.

I have suits with NRA tags, and suits with the 36, 39 and 49 tags. I have never seen this union tag before.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hummmm, sounds like you have a Lunar suit. A suit made on the moon. LoL.

Well, you know it could be early 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s but, it might not be made in the US. I have never seen a tag like that. Any chance of some photos friend? Sure like to see the tag and the suit! Might help out you know.

I have seen early 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s suits that were tailored like you say! Good tailoring didn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t vanish in 1940! I saw two double breasted suits once at a place. They had all the earmarks of a early 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s suit, but were dated 1941! So, like I have said before, the man who had them made must have liked the earlier style and just kept getting the same suit made into the 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s! Must not rule that out my friend!

Cheers,
Root.

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Well... Lauren's got the camera. It's definitely American made. When I said oval shaped. I meant just an oval drawing around the shaking hands. It's definitely an American made suit as a matter of fact is says...

United American
Labor Workers

It's retangular, it has a "C1" on the bottom left next to the vertical bar... it says "1891" I think I can make out "est." above. This is getting confusing sorry.

But I know it's American made. I know it's 30's.

Now the "united american labor workers" may be misquoted. I am on a wireless connection at a friend's house right now. I posted the union tag info request at home about an hour ago so as soon as I get back home I can get the actual union tag and be more detailed (or more confusing)

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Wild Root said:
I have seen early 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s suits that were tailored like you say! Good tailoring didn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t vanish in 1940! I saw two double breasted suits once at a place. They had all the earmarks of a early 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s suit, but were dated 1941! So, like I have said before, the man who had them made must have liked the earlier style and just kept getting the same suit made into the 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s! Must not rule that out my friend!

Cheers,
Root.

Oh yeah... I have a few forties suits that are absolutely 30's cut and details, but I know this can't be forties because if it had any union tag at all it would be copyright 1939. You know what I mean?

Wild Root

Gone Home
No, I know what you mean, but, you say you can't find a date on the tag? I have some union tags that have no date. Not that they match the design as yours but, some don't have dates. I know that some of the tags are sewn into the liner and are covered some what but I have seen some that have no dates. On that three piece belted back you're after has union tags with no dates! I have a feeling that it's pre NRA but, some have told me it looks like a later 30's suit. I don't think it's that late!

Any way, good luck with that bud!

Root.

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Well last night I discovered the words "New York City" (after a heavy light/magnifying glass inspection) and I think I have found a date, although it is very faded. I believe I see "1931" (Which could also be "1929" to the right of New York City.

That date would make sense. Because it couldn't be older than 36, and if it were NRA era it would have the blue eagle tag, so I'm cashing in the chips and saying this is 1932 or earlier.

As soon as Lauren gets back I'll post pics of it. I am very pleased with this find. I got it on ebay. It had one really dark pic of the jacket, and going by the description I decided to try it. What I got was:

A pre-1933 Dark blue mint condition (except the replacement lining) three-piece double breasted suit with button fly trousers. The best part was I paid $0.99 for it! I love ebay sellers that have no idea what they have.

Wild Root

Gone Home
$0.99!?!?!

ARE YOU SERIOUS? OH, MY, GOSH!!! Folks, we have a new winner here! Dan has just won the title for paying the least for a vintage suit!

I can't wait to see it Dan! And good job on your sleuthing! Sounds like a great find. I kind of had a feeling it was a pre NRA suit. ;)

Good Job!

Root.

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
I have to give Lauren the praise for finding the suit, she sent me the link and I decided to take the dangerous gamble and bid. If only they would have known what I put my minimum at.

P.S. Lauren made me promise her that if I ever sell it (um... no) that we have to split the profits.

Daniel,

Is this the same as the tag you're talking about? It sounds the same. it has the oval with the shaking hands in the centre, bisected by the number. and the established April 12th 1891 within the oval. I got these pants from ebay for $18. They were marketed as 50s. Made by Rough Rider of California. I've never seen this tag before. As you can see, the part of the tag with any date info is obscured under the seam (lower right). There is some writing there, but i don't want to unpick the seam to see it. :rage: Anyone else have more info on the dating of this tag????

UnionhandsTag.jpg

bk

frontmanvintage

New in Town
The union labels with the diamond shape and either a needle & bobbin (copyright 1939 and the first couple of years of copyright 1949) or the sewing machine (copyright 1949) belong to the ACWA - Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America.

Also, please note that there was a ACWA repro copyright 1939 tag done in something more like plastic than the original cloth that was used in the late 60's, early 70's. The garments are so 30's that about the only way to tell they are 70's is the double seam in the sleeve.

The Oval Union tag with joined hands shown in post #11 belongs to the UGWA - United Garment Workers or America - an entirely different Union from the ACWA. UGWA was formed in 1891 which matches the posters info.

I have been researching Union labels for some time, and am currently working on AWCA labels trying to unlock some of the hidden secrets. As soon as some of my theories come to fruition, I'll be glad to share what I have amassed.

If someone knows of the website that shows the labels, I would be interested in looking at it. Thanks, all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW